INT: Wagon rear hatch area carpet cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Wagon rear hatch area carpet cleaning

Ok I dont have any pictures of before and afters but here's how it goes. First off we all know that some of us love our wagons. But we hate it when the rear carpet piece gets dirty and just down right disgusting. Most of these stains are related to grease, oil, and the common dirt particle. First off to make life alot easier, fold the back seats forward. You dont have to fold them all the way down, just the back rests need to go forward. Now take the carpet and fold it over the back rest of the seats. Now you will see some plastic anchor type screws holding the carpet in. Gingerly take these screws out. Be careful as these seem to be a little fragile. Now pull the carpet out and vacuum it very thoroughly. Then hang either on a clothes line, a fence, a clean driveway or sidewalk, or a tall and rather large trash can. I used the trash can method since it just rained the day before and my driveway was right dirty. What I had done was spilled a little bit of motor oil on the carpet and there were other black stained from where I had been carrying car parts and other greasy items. Believe it or not, I used engine degreaser. Cover the whole entire carpet with this degreaser and let sit for about 5 minutes. Now the foam (I used the foaming kind...less odor and it foams) is going to lift up some of the dirt and definitely grease. Hose down with a pressure washer or a good jet nozzle on a hose pipe. Now watch all the black stains and the dirt just run off of there. Hose down VERY thoroughly until you dont see any foamy looking substance arise from the carpet. Take a good 30 minutes to hose this baby down because you want it good and clean and free of the somewhat smelly degreaser. Now once your carpet is dry take it back inside to once again vacuum for about 5 minutes on the lowest height setting. Now depending on your lifestyle, you will have some stains left. Probably some nasty brown stains from random mud or something else. Not to worry! Resolve happens to be a very good carpet cleaning agent. There us also some carpet cleaner in the automotive department at wal mart that I like to use. Its not hard to find because it doesnt have a scrub brush. I cant remember the name but its a blue and white can and has a gun-like trigger for the spray mechanism. An old rag or dish sponge works great for this task. Depending on the stains you have this can be a long process but will look really good in the long run! This beats paying over $200 for a new carpet from the dealer. And you wont feel as bad getting it dirty again.

Please let the world know of some better carpet cleaning agents and methods to have a cleaner carpet.

once it is clean you can try to find a rubber cargo mat from honda
    with this on there your carpet will never get dirty again
    and when the mat gets dirty you just wipe it off

Comment

Originally posted by cb95spd View Post
      once it is clean you can try to find a rubber cargo mat from honda
      with this on there your carpet will never get dirty again
      and when the mat gets dirty you just wipe it off

Ohhh man I have to get one of those, I have a blue uhaul cargo blanket I use to haul dirty item right now, but that is perfect! And extremely rare, I am sure.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Yea I saw a JDM one on ebay but it was for a CD wagon. I think I am going to get some scrap carpet and put over it to hopefully keep it from getting stained again.

Comment

I absolutely must find that cargo cover *drool*

Comment

You can check out your local carpet dealer and im sure they will be glad to let you have some scrap to put over it. Thats what I am going to do when I get the chance to.

Comment

Working...
            X