Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: 90-91 Sedan Prelude Seat install while retaining auto-belts

Prelude Seat Swap DIY.

This is for all of you 90-91 tuners interested in swapping seats, but want to retain your auto seat belts. I Found a set online for $60 bucks so i started looking around. AccordWarrior had done this and kept his belts so i asked. What he told me was to swap the entire bracket over from the stock seats to the prelude seats. This is what i had to do. It may be different for a coupe. I did this with a sedan.

Disclaimer: You will be cutting into seat brackets with this. What i did has worked fine but i am not responsible for anything you do to your car. modifying seats can be hazardous if done wrong.

Tools:
    Ratchet
    sockets: 12mm, 14mm, 17mm
    Philips head screwdriver
    Flathead screwdriver
    Pliers
    Dremel, drill, or any other tool you can use to cut holes or enlarge them.

Parts Needed:
    Accord seats
    Prelude seats
    2 M10x1.25 bolts
    lots of washers to fit those bolts. like 75 or so

To start, pull the accord seats out. you can see the prelude seats are a good bit more narrow than the accord seats. Take the brackets off each by removing the plastic and seat belts. the levers just pull off but you really have to tug on them. Or you could use a screw driver or open-end wrench, put it in the hole of the handle and smack. Should come right off. The plastic is held on by two screws on the outside. Remove these and slide the plastic up on the front to go over the lever and it should come right off. The seat belt is held on by one 17mm bolt and a 12mm bolt/nut. Just reach in there and hold the nut steady and it should come right out. keep this hardware safe because we'll be re-using it.

Now remove the lower seat cushion. it held on by two 14mm bolts on each side. there are bigger than the ones on the seat back and you'll need them later. You can remove the wire used to adjust the seat to make this whole ordeal way easier. Now pull the back of the seat off. I had torn up seats so i just yanked them off with abandon. needless to say i broke the tabs. on one side there will be two 14mm bolts under the cushion on the side. on the other there is one 12mm nut with two washers. save all these.

now with the brackets off, you'll need to whip out the dremel or whatever cutting tool your using. You have to widen the lower hole down on the seat back mount, and both front holes on the front side of each bracket. both will be opened up towards the back of the seat.

On to the prelude seats, the cushions come off the same way as the accord ones. but you don't need to keep the brackets. save the bolts though just in case. Also, i pulled the extra adjuster cord off the bracket and tucked it into the back of the seat. Take the prelude cushion and make sure all the bolts line up correctly. on outside bracket you'll be putting 10 or 11 washers in between the bracket and seat for both front ans back bolts. for the inside bracket, the rear hole lines up with the bracket flush. For the front i used about 15 washers and the longer bolts you got.

The seat back bolts up fine as long as you opened up the hole enough. with the cushions on, put the seat into the car to see how well the holes line up. with some adjustments they could line up perfect. Mine were real close so i had a friend help line up each hole as i would put a bolt in. Be sure to put the seat belt back on before you actually bolt it in, and put the wire back in for adjustment.

repeat the same for the other seat. Overall, the whole ordeal shouldn't take more than 2 -3 hours if you take your time like me keep destroying dremel bits. after bolting each seat down tight, test them out and make sure their in there good and tight. Take a ride and get a feel for your newly applied prelude seats.

Ill get pics of the finished product tomorrow when the sun's out.

awesome diy i might have to go get me some prelude seats now
    Looking for a new cb7

Comment

nice this will help me out alot, i was about to jump in and tackle this to see what it takes. Good to know it takes very little.

**edit after rereading this, you pretty much just swapped the cushions over right? And just kept the same brackets and rails from the accord seat?
      this brings me to how does the seat fit and look compared to when it was mounted in the prelude brackets? Any gaps or shifts in position?
      Last edited by baracuda; 10-06-2009, 03:57 PM.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
        nice this will help me out alot, i was about to jump in and tackle this to see what it takes. Good to know it takes very little.

**edit after rereading this, you pretty much just swapped the cushions over right? And just kept the same brackets and rails from the accord seat?
        this brings me to how does the seat fit and look compared to when it was mounted in the prelude brackets? Any gaps or shifts in position?
        It looks fairly normal to me. The seats are skinnier so he brackets are more visible. Makes the car feel bigger. if you do it how i did, it will sit baack further than the accord seat. but it's countered by the thinness of the seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
          It looks fairly normal to me. The seats are skinnier so he brackets are more visible. Makes the car feel bigger. if you do it how i did, it will sit baack further than the accord seat. but it's countered by the thinness of the seat.
          kool any in car pics and such?

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

bumping this cause no-one knows to look for it

i'll add some to it though, if you replace the LONG stretches of washers with nuts, it improves the integrity, and the bolt flexes less

in car pics

this was my first set, eventually i switched up to a dark navy blue set, and it looked much better with my maroon interior
            Last edited by KB7; 04-30-2011, 03:04 AM.
            _

Comment

nice diy. and nice bump. rep added.
              "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

THERE IS A MUCH EASIER WAY THAN USING A DREMEL. Drill the wholes out where you need them, it will literally take 2-5 minutes as long as you MEASURE and MARK where to drill. Just make sure the bit you use is about the size of the bolt and ream the whole out a bit bigger so you don't have to go back if its not perfectly centered.

I would like to update this a bit on the bracket hole position. Some people don't like the seats not going up as straight as the stock seats, but that can be countered slightly by the hole position on the upright bracket. I took a couple pictures, first one here shows a marked position (may not show up, but its just beyond my pinky and thumb)

And afterwords, where you can see how I drilled the lower hole for the back of the seat, and where I drilled for the lower seat hole. The front seat hole is fine, only the rear cushion hole needs to be drilled closer towards the front. The prelude holes are 10" from center of hole front to back center of hole, less than our stock seats.

NOW listen carefully. You can measure yourself to make this whole swap MUCH easier. the back seat vertical holes are 3 1/4" apart from the CENTER of top hole to CENTER of bottom hole, slightly further apart than the accord holes. You can adjust the angle by MOVING THE HOLE BACK on the lower vertical hole. My driver seat is a couple degrees closer to vertical than if I had simply expanded the current lower hole down.

I felt the outside bolts were a hair short to use 10 washers, so I used 9 and added a couple extra on the inside to counter.

MY HOLES ALL LINED UP almost PERFECTLY! Why? I measured the top and bottom bracket width on the accord seats before I removed. You can adjust the washers until your prelude mounted brackets are the same width. Remember you need the back of the seat bolted up as well, because it will pull the brackets a bit wider after the seat is bolted in due to being more narrow than your stock back. I used m10 1.25 nuts which were the same width as 5 washers for more of the length.

Love my new seats =)

Last edited by Smokinspeeds; 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM.
                My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Working...
                X