DIY: Rocker switch in handbrake console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Rocker switch in handbrake console

I was looking for something to do to my CB today and I remembered that I had a switch that I needed to install for my Alarm light. Its a crappy switch, but does the job.

tools needed:
    2 Flat head screwdrivers
    Rocker swicth, or your preference
    hammer or something hard to hit with
    sandpaper
    and patience

First of all go to your console and remove the switch holder you are going to be using.

I chose the top one near the driver side. insert your screwdriver in on one side and take it out (it is not easy, you might have to use 2 screwdrivers.)

this is how it looks off.

next comes the DIY part, grab one of your flatheads and you are going to do this

hit it with the hammer until you cut those two things in the middle off and make sure the screwdriver goes all the way through to the other side. after you go all the way around in the shape of your switch it should look like this.

or atleast close to that. at this pint sand it down a little so its smooth.
    next insert your switch.

its was a good fit. I connected to my light, but you can connect it to anything you want. I soldered and heatshrinked (optional) my terminals. next step, Enjoy

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
    Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
    Originally posted by bmxicansd
    so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

a dremel would have saved you alot of time making the hole for the switch. overall it came out good though. good write up.
    We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
    Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

is there any sort of DIY thread on how to wire things to these types of switches??

ive been looking to wire up some footwell lights and foglights, but havent a clue on wiring.

thanks

Comment

I just did this a few days ago, and a dremel would have made things much easier. Instead I was stuck with a pocket knife, hacksaw, and drill. lol worked out great; hooked up my es300 fogs to it.

Originally posted by freshnasty View Post
        is there any sort of DIY thread on how to wire things to these types of switches??

ive been looking to wire up some footwell lights and foglights, but havent a clue on wiring.

thanks
        If you want to put fogs on, you can buy an aftermarket harness w/ or w/out fogs and follow the wiring diagram that is most likely going to be in the back of the box or you can google and follow different types of diagrams such as these.

As for the location of the switch you can put them where ever you want just use your imagination, removable tabs would be best, and you can follow this diy
        Last edited by Juan4DCB7; 12-27-2009, 12:54 AM.

Originally posted by visualpoet
        some owners think it's the best thing since titties

Comment

I wish I had a dremel.....but you gotta work with what you have, I did this because not everyone has a dremel

Rush

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
            I wish I had a dremel.....but you gotta work with what you have, I did this because not everyone has a dremel
            I used a steak knife for so many things on cars before I had a dremel it's not even funny lol. I have one now though thank god.

Originally posted by freshnasty View Post

thanks
            Footwell lights are pretty easy to hookup. The switch I had was three wires. Lead, positive, and negative. You'll have power going to the switch on one, power going from the switch to the lights with the other, and then your last one is a ground. You'll spend more time running the wiring through your dash and mounting the lights than anything.
            Last edited by Brandoncb7; 12-27-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
              I used a steak knife for so many things on cars before I had a dremel it's not even funny lol. I have one now though thank god.
              a steaknife..damn..

Rush

Comment

Lol. At one point I had all of my tools stolen so I didn't have a choice. I had to use what I had at the time. It got the job done.

Comment

you gotta use what you have, thats what DIY's are for

Rush

Comment

thanks for the help guys. looking forward to putting fogs and footwells on the whhhip!

Comment

i did the same thing for my rear fog, only with a red illuminated switch.

gonna use a blue one for my foot well lights when i get around to it.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
                        i did the same thing for my rear fog, only with a red illuminated switch.

gonna use a blue one for my foot well lights when i get around to it.
                        I have the red illumination switch for my es300 fogs, but it diesn't light up anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Juan4DCB7 View Post
                          I have the red illumination switch for my es300 fogs, but it diesn't light up anymore
                          is it the bulb thats out?

Rush

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
                            is it the bulb thats out?
                            iono, but i am going to get a new one

Comment

Originally posted by Juan4DCB7 View Post
                              iono, but i am going to get a new one
                              cool..u gona get same color?
                              or are you gona go for a different look?

Rush

Comment

Working...
                              X