INT: 92-96 prelude hand brake cover and boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: 92-96 prelude hand brake cover and boot

i've always liked how the prelude's hand brake and boot matched the shifter and its boot so i picked up a prelude assembly and had at it.

disclaimer:
    this is for informational purposes only. i am not responsible for any damage or injury you or your vehicle may incur. remember: safety first!

tools:
    -oven
    -dremel (or other cutting tool)
    -box cutter
    -marker
    -adhesive (i used a loctite vinyl adhesive)
    -work gloves (very helpful)
    -spray degreaser
    -general purpose grease
    -duct tape (optional)

parts:
    -prelude hand brake and boot
    -accord hand brake

**this is written assuming you already have the hand brake assembly uninstalled from the car or are capable of doing so**

-i already had an accord hand brake from the burgundy interior i swapped out. here's the side by side comparison with the prelude on the right, of course.

-set your oven to 225 degrees. place one assembly in the oven for 5 minutes then (with your gloves on) remove it and twist at the boot until it has completely come free of the assembly and slide off. repeat for the other one

-this is also a good time to replace the chipping brake handle button if necessary. the gloves also help with unscrewing these.

-with the prelude cover over the accord assembly it's obvious some modification is necessary.

-because the prelude cover curves and the accord assembly is straight, some cutting to both pieces will be needed. mark off the two to accommodate. the rear end of the assembly must be trimmed as well to fit the prelude boot. (be aware of the moving parts and how they interact with one another. before cutting, engage and disengage the assembly fully to ensure your cuts will not damage anything)

-use your cutting tool to cut away at the marked areas and test fit.

-once you have properly fit everything to your satisfaction, spray down the assembly with degreaser to clean out all the metal shavings and regrease the moving parts. i took an additional step to cover all the trimmed areas with gorilla tape so as to protect the inside of the boot.

-one thin line of adhesive on the top and one on each side then slide the handle onto the assembly. be sure it is sitting straight on the assembly. once it's set, pull the boot over the handle cover. you're ready to reinstall your newly upgraded hand brake!

-enjoy!

if you thought our accords were throwbacks, i noticed that the dremel my dad handed down to me is 10 years older than i am, bought on may 9th, 1972! i've been using this thing forever!

well there it is, my first DIY for you guys! i searched to see if anyone had done this, and so far i hadn't seen it. it's not monumental nor performance enhancing by any means, but it really helps to accent the interior!
    1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Nicely done.

If you want to eliminate that gap between the console and the boot, you can use a little Velcro to keep them together.

Also, the Vigor e-brake fits the Accord without any modification, and is basically the same as that Prelude assembly.

Additionally, I think you can skip the oven part by simply removing those circular "plugs" out on the back of the cover from the metal assembly. Once they're unplugged, simply wiggle the plastic cover free from the assembly.
    My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
      if you thought our accords were throwbacks, i noticed that the dremel my dad handed down to me is 10 years older than i am, bought on may 9th, 1972! i've been using this thing forever!

well there it is, my first DIY for you guys! i searched to see if anyone had done this, and so far i hadn't seen it. it's not monumental nor performance enhancing by any means, but it really helps to accent the interior!
      Oh damn, my grandfather has one from the late 60's just like that lol

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
        Nicely done.

If you want to eliminate that gap between the console and the boot, you can use a little Velcro to keep them together.

Also, the Vigor e-brake fits the Accord without any modification, and is basically the same as that Prelude assembly.

Additionally, I think you can skip the oven part by simply removing those circular "plugs" out on the back of the cover from the metal assembly. Once they're unplugged, simply wiggle the plastic cover free from the assembly.
        i'll look into the velcro! as for the vigor assembly, DAMN IT! lol! i never even thought to look at one.

i did remove those plugs on both covers and no beans, i didn't want to jam things like extended flat heads in there for fear of tearing things up. there's a factory adhesive that keeps everything together and solid, as a matter of fact, to get the replacement hand brake button, i ended up hacking up another accord hand brake at the junk yard just to get to it. there is adhesive most of the way down the sides.

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
        Oh damn, my grandfather has one from the late 60's just like that lol
        i don't think this one's ever been serviced or anthing, it just keeps on turning!
        1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Dam nice job. Do you think the lude ebrake without the boot will fit and work also the same way u did urs?
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Way too much work IMO when you can just slip the boot over your CB handle.

Comment

Working...
            X