Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: 6th Gen/CL Maplight Housing w/HomeLink garage door opener

OEM Acura Vigor Black leather steering wheel
    JDM Black Center Console $150 + shippingHey -- I couldn't find a write up on this so..

This is my install of a maplight housing from a 97-99 Acura CL, which is also the same as the 98-01 Accords (without the sunglass holders).

There is a current DIY on a 94-97 Accord maplight, which has smaller dimensions, lighter in weight and might be a better option for fitment. There is less chance for error and lower difficulty level. The DIY method for the 94-97 is to cut the headliner for a snug fit.

In contrast to the 94-97 maplight, the CL/6th Gen. Accord housing model offers a HomeLink garage door opener system, which may be more apealing for some CB7tuners. But there are more clearance issues that must be worked around -- trial and error. The space between our roof and headliner is more shallow, this housing is more bulky and requires more fabrication. I took the challenge of modifying the bracket for a more secure method of mounting.

This might be a project for the more brave. To be equipped with a more complete set of tools is always a plus when you encounter curveballs.

Tools:
    Cutting tool of choice
    Practice carboard, marker for tracing
    Masking Tape
    Electrical Wire
    Optional: wire cutter
    Electric tape or heatshrink tubing (I soldered)
    Screws
    Screwdriver (flat and phillips)
    Drill (to tap ground or extend ground wire elsewhere)
    8MM socket (for dome light housing removal)
    Flashlight/Lamp

Maplight housing
    Bracket
    OEM Connecting harness

I'm going to assume you know how to remove/mount one of these from the donor car (if at a junkyard). Pry off clear piece to reveal screws.

**NOTE: The headliner material board is very brittle by now! Use care when cutting! I reinserted the bracket through headiner by removal of sunroof liner (it will sit wider than the cutout hole).

I'm going to credit the Honda Fit thread version for this idea:
    http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-i...k-install.html
    The Fit looks to have more forgiving workspace and headliner material. Note how much better the bracket just sits in the Honda Fit without any manipulation or re-shaping. And our vinyl doesn't like anything cutting or poking at it -- the fit looks more like cloth/felt (whatever material that is).
    And credit to Tippey764, the only CB member I've spotted so far with this particular mod.
    Last edited by sin2k5; 08-06-2012, 01:03 AM.

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
    Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Great write up, Dine!

Nice write-up and detailed photos. I'd give you more rep points if it'd let me, lol.

I'd just like to add that LX/DX owners can tap into their dome light easily by simply removing the passenger side A-pillar garnish. Alternatively, they have to remove their headliner - a process I'd personally rather do (and did, with a plug-and-play harness) than tap into the stock wiring.

How does one program Homelink? I don't have a garage so I haven't the slightest clue.
    My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
      Great write up, Dine!

Nice write-up and detailed photos. I'd give you more rep points if it'd let me, lol.

I'd just like to add that LX/DX owners can tap into their dome light easily by simply removing the passenger side A-pillar garnish. Alternatively, they have to remove their headliner - a process I'd personally rather do (and did, with a plug-and-play harness) than tap into the stock wiring.

How does one program Homelink? I don't have a garage so I haven't the slightest clue.

WikiAnswers:

First time programming
      1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds.(Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released.(The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the "cycling" procedure noted in the "View Canadian Instructions" section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

* If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
      * If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the "learn" or "smart" button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener's manual or contact us.

6. Press and release the "learn" or "smart" button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the "press/hold/release" sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
      Last edited by sin2k5; 04-20-2011, 03:06 AM.

Comment

I had this map light in my green coupe, its a nice map light but i had no use for the home link

anyways great DIY, now you have me thinking about doing it again lol

Comment

Absolutely awesome! Great pics, great explanation. +1 for you sir.

I have the HomeLink in my CG and it took me a few tries with the garage door to get it finally. I love it. The original opener sucks and is half-broken but my HomeLink will engage at like 100 feet, lol.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshy View Post
            Great write up, Dine!

Thank you, sir. I'm only trying to keep up with your write-up style .

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
            Absolutely awesome! Great pics, great explanation. +1 for you sir.

I have the HomeLink in my CG and it took me a few tries with the garage door to get it finally. I love it. The original opener sucks and is half-broken but my HomeLink will engage at like 100 feet, lol.
            It's great! Programming was tedious, but 30minutes later, I got the sequence and timing right. My original remote I have is crap also, then I got a smaller keychain style one, but that was additional weight . Plus, with house keys, cars, alarm remote and work keys -- it wasn't working.... Now a lighter pocket and no battery worries! Great range also!

Comment

gahhh... I wish I could've found a homelink one, all i have is the non-homelink CL one. that's so sick!!
              blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Great write up. I have a 6th gen maplight coming soon with the sunglasses holder in the mail!!!!!!!
                I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                My coupe!!!
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by daheavyking View Post
                  Great write up. I have a 6th gen maplight coming soon with the sunglasses holder in the mail!!!!!!!
                  Yea... I have an extra one of those lying around too. It's very nice, a darker grey. Not sure how well it would mount with no bracket (?) Tapping screws? Adhesive?

The shorter one was a compromise with my sunroof... sigh... lol.
                  I'd be curious how you decide to approach it. Pics!

Comment

Fantastic write-up! Put this in my favorites!

Comment

great diy, now if i had a garage....

Comment

Originally posted by illestatus View Post
                        great diy, now if i had a garage....
                        You need to find one with three doors -- that way you won't have any unused buttons!

So...one down for me so far lol.

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                          I also did this but I used wood blocks and tapped holes to mount it up. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...light=homelink
                          YES. It was YOU! I've seen this.

I searched and didn't find your post because it was in the beginner section apparently. We took different approaches securing the housing. I think you didn't have to worry about hitting a sunroof. Positioning and spacing was more critical for me (more towards the front). For some reason your headliner looks like straight wood. Mine was like some kind of particle cardboard. lol.

Get a grey one.

Comment

Working...
                          X