INT: Custom door sills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Custom door sills

Custom aluminum door sills are expensive, although they look great. First of all, I do not beleive they even make any for coupes.

This DIY works for coupes, sedans and wagons.

First of all, I need to give credit to P5ylance for the emblem idea in the door sills. You can use any emblem you like. In this case, I decided to use the Honda trunk emblems found on Canadian Accords.

To expand a little on the emblem idea, I used some 1/8" peel & stick chrome trim in the ridges of the door sills.

$15.99 for a roll of this stuff at Canadian Tire. I have previously used this same chrome molding on my door panels, gauge cluster rings, side moldings and bumper moldings.

So for $15, make some custom DIY door sills in about 20 minutes.

Cut, peel, stick. Simple as that, and the look is definetly classy. This is a small detail that goes a long way in first impressions of your interior when you open your door.

Go to it!

The chrome trim DIYer strikes again! Haha looks awesome bro keep up the good work!!! Do you sand down the ridges under the emblem so it'll sit snug in there or do you just slap it on top??

Comment

Nope, didn't prep anything other than give it a quick wipe. The strips fit between the ridges, but they sit a little higher so they're not flush.

You will have to be careful getting in and out that you don't catch your feet on it, otherwise I'd see them ripping off.

Comment

Looks good, and definately stands out over the stock door sill. Reminds me of an idea I had myself for the door sills (similiar to what can be found on certain mercedes), and if I wasn't surviving on unemployment I would so do it.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Dam! If I didn't know it (I usually don't) It looks OEM! Not only does it look classy, it DOESN'T look cheapish. Great idea!. I just happen to have four silver "accord" stickers about 1"x6".

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
          New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
          My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Good! Inspiration! That's what this is about. Do it!

Comment

wow! those look amazing buddy!
              blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

^^ he's the 1 who made a thread b4 on sills. I did the same thing he did wit a blk line instead.

Mikey y does ur chrome trim or w/e look crooked as hell mate. Uneven makes it like u threw it together in 10mins
                **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

It's just the top one that has to slightly bend up and over the top of the emblem, giving it the way look. Instead of cutting it like I did with the middle strip, I wanted to try and match it to the bottom.

With the way the ridges are lined up on the sill, you have to put the chrome either directly ontop of a ridge, straddle the ridge and the low spot, or follow the low spot.

If it wasn't for the emblem, it would have come out straighter. I may still play around with it a little, but it was raining and snowing all day and the garage is full so I can't work inside.

For the top one where it curves over the emblem, I may just straighten it out and run the strip higher up.

Comment

Ever seen my door sills before

Last edited by F20A CB7; 03-18-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Looks good. I give it the green light and .
                      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
                        Ever seen my door sills before

Slick. I was actually thinking of doing the same idea with paint, but using silver.

Comment

Epic man looks great!

You can be dame sure im doing something similiar to go with my new carpet /interior look

8 Accords so far:
                          '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                          '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                          (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

try using the chrome pinstripe from pepboys or other auto sales places. it might be alot easier to work with but make sure you clear coat it afterwards.

this is a great alternative for coupes =P
                            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

What's the difference in the materials? They r peel and stick 1/8th in.

Comment

Working...
                              X