Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: Permanent Power Converter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    INT: Permanent Power Converter

    Tools:

    Dremel or sharp knife
    Screw Driver
    10mm wrench
    Wire strippers

    Supplies:
    3-2 prong plug adapter 2/$3
    16 gauge wire- 20/100ft
    AC-DC power inverter-$20
    Bullet terminals-$4

    Cut out space for plug adapter:


    To:


    I also had to trim down my adapter for so it could fit through the opening on the console.

    To cut the holes properly I used a hot screw driver. The right side came out very well, the left side the screw driver was too hot.

    Heat the screw driver, but not too hot and push through the little plastic cover to make very nice square openings. Let it cool before you pull it out or it will look like the big opening on mine. Use a Phillips screw driver for the lower hole.



    Glue the adapter to the plug, superglue is recommended because it holds tight and dries fast.



    Remove your center console and rip your power adapter apart and connect the 12V ground to the ground of your car. I chose to use the bolt for the park brake. I wired the 12V+ to the cigarette lighter because it is already designed to handle the 15A my inverter is rated at. I used male/female bullet connectors and put a male and female connector on each side so it can only be plugged in properly. Don't use both male on one side and female on the other because then you might mess it up and damage your inverter.





    Wire the 120V+ side to the plus side on the adapter and the 120V- to the other side of the adapter. Just align what side goes to what side, remember it before you tear the adapter apart. Put the cover back on your adapter so protect it from grounding out on metal and re install your center console.

    Now you have 120V power source in your car to charge or run whatever. So now if someone looks at my car and says "but will it blend?", I can throw a blender in it and say yes!
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data

    #2
    I think thats pretty cool!

    So you don't have the 2nd ground on the adapter wired up to anything?

    That must be a pretty powerful converter if it can handle a blender.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
      I think thats pretty cool!

      So you don't have the 2nd ground on the adapter wired up to anything?

      That must be a pretty powerful converter if it can handle a blender.
      The "2nd" ground actually isn't the second ground. It's the only ground and it's a safety precaution. 12V-120V adapters have a hole for it, but if you look inside they don't go to anything. AC has a a 120V+ and 120V-, except every 17 milliseconds they switch +/-. That's how AC works. The ground just grounds the metal structure to the earth ground so if there is a malfunction and you touch metal on the machine the electricity doesn't run through you and back to the ground.

      And the inverter is good for 190W. I have 500W in the trunk.
      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by domesticated View Post
        12V-120V adapters have a hole for it, but if you look inside they don't go to anything.
        I'll have to disassemble my inverter sometime and take a look at that. Thanks for the clarification on the "ground". I haven't messed that much with 110+ volt wiring.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 03-25-2012, 06:00 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
          I'll have to disassemble my inverter sometime and take a look at that. Thanks for the clarification on the "ground". I haven't messed that much with 110+ volt wiring.
          The way it works is instead of electron flow constantly going through, they just move back in forth. Electronics don't use up electrons, they just pull energy from them. So AC switches the +/- back and forth causing electrons to just jump back and forth and the electrons basically stay in the same part of the wire. That's why as a standard here in the US we use 60hz, if electronics are designed to work at different frequencies there are usually issues.
          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data

          Comment


            #6
            I really like this DIY. I'm very new to power converters installed in cars but I can think of many instances where I would have liked one. If it were me I think I'd like it in the lower portion of the rear side panel in a coupe. That way it's out of sight and any power adapters and cords can lay in the floor and run to the device in the front seat. You don't have that capability with a sedan though.

            This question is more of a general inquiry into using power converters and not the specifics of this DIY but is there a noticeable drop in electric power to the vehicle when charging something more than a cell phone? I figured others may want to know.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I really like this DIY. I'm very new to power converters installed in cars but I can think of many instances where I would have liked one. If it were me I think I'd like it in the lower portion of the rear side panel in a coupe. That way it's out of sight and any power adapters and cords can lay in the floor and run to the device in the front seat. You don't have that capability with a sedan though.

              This question is more of a general inquiry into using power converters and not the specifics of this DIY but is there a noticeable drop in electric power to the vehicle when charging something more than a cell phone? I figured others may want to know.
              I have a digital power meter coming in the mail I'll be installing in the dash. I'll give you a definitive answer when I get that done
              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data

              Comment


                #8
                Sounds great. I'll keep posted.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

                Comment


                  #9
                  nice a clean diy, I need to buy for my car. but if I can do a clean install like this even better. props on something new.


                  Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Its a good idea but all those open wires like on the prongs from the plug and using the little plastic insert for the center consol seems alittle sketchy.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Once it was assembled there were no open wires. Not my first rodeo
                      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I would of ran a thicker wire somewhere else rather than that cig lighter. Depending on the wattage and the amperage of the inverter, I would of ran a 14 guage wire somewhere else.

                        Good effort though.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

                        You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

                        Retro!

                        Hater

                        I love nooBs...They make me look good

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Nice DIY Permanent Power Converter write up


                          92 cb7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176886

                          91 cb9 wagon

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Really clean install! Ive seen a few converters in cars and trucks but never put in as neat as this,There always just in plain view.Its something Id like to do since myself for the extra convenience.Great DIY!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                              I would of ran a thicker wire somewhere else rather than that cig lighter. Depending on the wattage and the amperage of the inverter, I would of ran a 14 guage wire somewhere else.

                              Good effort though.
                              It turns itself off if it goes over 12A, the fuse for the car is 15A and the wire gauge is larger than the cigarette lighter and the inverter was originally powered by cigarette lighter. I think I'm covered.
                              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X