INT: Permanent Power Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
    It turns itself off if it goes over 12A, the fuse for the car is 15A and the wire gauge is larger than the cigarette lighter and the inverter was originally powered by cigarette lighter. I think I'm covered.
    12a AC or DC?
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      12a AC or DC?
      Its DC

12amps AC, @ 110volts would be 1220+ watts inverter, not counting the inefficiency of the conversion. (If that were true, that much power at 14 Volt Input, thats 87amps!, whats the stock alternator rated at? 90amps?)

12amps DC, is about 150 watts (12 x 12 = 144), if the alternator is pumping out 14volts, that could be up to 172.8 watts. Thats what the inverter would possibly max out at. The conversion is not very efficient from DC to AC

Originally posted by http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php?topic=141375.0
      I did some efficiency tests on some cheap MSW inverters about a month ago after someone ( Bob Golding I think ) raised a question about this very thing. I posted the results for a 150W in one of my diaries. I also tested a 300W and a 600W and was quite surprised at the results which were better than expected.

For the 150W - efficiency was over 85% between 30W and 55W, and 90%+ between 55W and 150W with a maximum of 92%

For the 300W - 85%+ between 45W and 75W, 90%+ between 75W and 200W, falling off after 200W, maximum of 93% at 150W

For the 600W - 85%+ between 55W and 90W, 90%+ between 90W and 300W, falling again after 300W with a maximum of about 92%.
      So your losing a minimum of 8% up to around 15% due to the conversion. Or out of a max of 12 amps, your losing up to 1.8amps to innefficiency, so really you have 10.2 amps available at 12v/14v so 122.4 to 142.8 watts of available power maximum load on the inverter/circuit. Sorry your not going to be running a blender very well with such little power, or it might work on its slowest setting
      Last edited by cloudasc; 04-29-2012, 10:33 PM.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

'93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Brush your shoulders off, your ride has just been pimped.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Not bad!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
              Its DC

12amps AC, @ 110volts would be 1220+ watts inverter, not counting the inefficiency of the conversion. (If that were true, that much power at 14 Volt Input, thats 87amps!, whats the stock alternator rated at? 90amps?)

12amps DC, is about 150 watts (12 x 12 = 144), if the alternator is pumping out 14volts, that could be up to 172.8 watts. Thats what the inverter would possibly max out at. The conversion is not very efficient from DC to AC

So your losing a minimum of 8% up to around 15% due to the conversion. Or out of a max of 12 amps, your losing up to 1.8amps to innefficiency, so really you have 10.2 amps available at 12v/14v so 122.4 to 142.8 watts of available power maximum load on the inverter/circuit. Sorry your not going to be running a blender very well with such little power, or it might work on its slowest setting
              Gotcha. The reason I ask is that most people dont bother to look or care, then they wonder why they smell smoke or melted the wires. Seen it to many times.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

so if i want to charge my evo 4G would it be faster to use the wall charger using a power inverter? or would it be the same as just plugging my cable into a usb outlet in my cigarette lighter?

is it worth it?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

deff faster to use an inverter. fuck all those bullshit phone chargers.
                  COUPE K24

Comment

ok cool ive been thinking of putting the plug in the ash tray on the back of the center console of my sedan.

how does the cigarette lighter come out?
                    Last edited by Quashish; 07-08-2012, 03:31 AM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Well heres what I got

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Working...
                      X