X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Make Tweeter From Broken Speaker

Hello everyone.
    This is my first DIY.
    I made ​​sure to take as many photos as possible to make this job easy and understandable why those who will want to do.
    Normally the speaker rarely breaks on the tweeters. rather it breaks on the voice coil normally. if you climb too much sound. you blow the voice coil, and speaker stick on the coil. so the speaker is unusable..

Get a new life with the tweeter of your broken speaker,
    For those want get tweeter for cheap, this is a good tutorial to make.

NORMALLY THIS CANNOT BE MADE WITH OEM SPEAKER. MOST TIME THIS IS ONLY MAKABLE WITH AFTERMARKET SPEAKERS.
    - Most OEM Speaker have build in tweeter, and cannot be removed.. Easy to see, if no screw on the certer of the magnet, forget this the tweeter is not removable.
    - Most Aftermarket Have Removable Tweeter, Like the Clarion 6x9 i have used to make this tutorial.

UNMAKABLE WITH SUBWOOFER. Subwoofer are not made to make voice, so they don'T have tweeter.

Time to make 1 tweeter... depend of your ability.
    This has take me 5-8 min to do each.
    Normally in 30 min you should be ready to use your new pair of used tweeter!

NOTICE

I want to specify that I am not responsible for damage, if you break something, if you hurt yourself, or you break your speakers or you get an electric shock, break your clothes, or put fire in your house.

Also.
    im not responsible if you go deaf, you tap the nerve of your girlfriend or make your girlfriend go deaf.
    be carefull with tools,wear everytime the safety element for any tool, when any use in this tutorial.

there are for reference.i have do because i know what i do, if you do not know what you do, do not do it.

Good Luck.

First
    make sure that your tweeter speaker are functional.
    has least if you want to do all this for nothing!
    You can use any size, in this DIY I Have Use 6x9'' Clarion Speaker.
    You can do this DIY with mostly Any brand, Any Size Speakers Exept subwoofer, 3'' -4''- 4X6 - 5.25'' - 6.5'' - 6X8'' - 6X9'' & MORE.

STEP 1:
    Get Ready To Make the job. Get The Appropriate tools.

you will need:
    - Philips screwdriver.
    - Soldering iron or terminals. (i have use soldering iron)
    - Stripper.
    - Cutter.
    - Flat Head Screwdriver.(Optional)
    - X-ACTO (Optional)
    - Electrical Tape if you don't use soldering iron.
    - Rotary Tool (Dremel).
    - Time and patience.

STEP 2:
    Take your speaker. Get ready to give a new life to him.

STEP 3:
    turn the speaker in reverse. in the middle of magnet, you will see an empty form, below the sticker you will find a screw.

remove the sticker, and unscrew the screw.

Now you have the screw on your hand... great job.

STEP 5:
    Now time to remove the tweeter from the speaker, Be carfull. im sure you dont want to broke your working tweeter on this step.
    if the tweeter is hard to remove, apply a small pressure on and twist it gently. be carefull, the wire still on, you dont want to broke the tweeter terminals.
    Normally he will come like this.

Now cut the 2 wires. and separe the tweeter from the speaker.

STEP 6:
    Job is almost done. now you have the tweeter in your hands.

Now you will need to cut or unglue the tweeter holder. don't worry, its only a holder. cut it at the end of the magnet.be carfull with the magnet. she maybe will try to stick you.

After cutting the Plastic holder, remove it.

After removed the exedent of plastic, you will see this... a brand new mini speaker for voice,

STEP 7:
    Now unsolder the excess wire to liberate the terminals.

Humm DONE!! Beautiful!!!

STEP 8:

Its now the time to wire this independent tweeter.
    Grab Some wire, 18-22GA is enough. cut them the length you want.

BE CAREFUL ON THIS STEP. BE SURE TO NOT PLUG THE TWEETER IN REVERSE.

HERE YOU SEE in this picture small cylinder, usually black. this is the High-pass filter, this allow to play only high frequency. he is on your positive (+) lead.( Normally you will able to find easly the (+) Side, the terminal is more bigger.dont remove the High pass filter, or you will blown your new tweeter. dont invert the cable, or you will blown or make a non working tweeter. here in the circle is the positive lead. wire the red wire to this one.

After plugged or solded your termials with your wire. he should look like this.

Great JOB. The Job is almost Done now.

Now you will need to test your brand new used tweeters...

Normally you should be able to hear your beat... (voices and insrument) if you dont hear bass, its normal its a tweeter and is not made to produce bass.

IF he work, youre a champ. otherwise you have done something wrong or used a bad tweeter.

Now repeat all steps with your other speaker,
    Here is the result. 2 Almost new tweeters..

lets go to find a place in you car plug them,and put the volume and hear this great clear sound.

Thanks for watching, hope you'll be enjoy!!
    have a nice beat!
    Last edited by WhiteShift; 04-28-2012, 12:28 AM.

nice writeup gave you rep! Generally you can only get them off of 3way speakers right? how would i go about connecting the wiring after though?
    IG:worldboss_sanjcb7

Comment

Originally posted by sanJ_01 View Post
      nice writeup gave you rep! Generally you can only get them off of 3way speakers right? how would i go about connecting the wiring after though?
      The speaker i have use in this DIY is an 2 way.
      normally in 3 way speaker the 3rd voice tweeter will wirred with the main tweeter. you will need to buy another high pass filter if you want make it work independant of the main tweeter. same for 4 way speakers as i think. the positive lead has alway a high pass filter, you simply follow this lead, you will able to find alway your positive lead.
      Last edited by WhiteShift; 04-28-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

crazy, Im doing the same thing right now on a pair of infinity 6953i's where the cone disintegrated =( what capacitance is your HP filter? Mine are regular 50v electrolytic 6.8µF. Cool write up

Comment

Sweet job man!
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

thanks for your comments!!

Comment

How do you mount them if there's no mounting points?
              MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196248

Comment

Originally posted by faqncb7 View Post
                How do you mount them if there's no mounting points?
                you can make them custom bracket, otherwise you can mold them.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                  crazy, Im doing the same thing right now on a pair of infinity 6953i's where the cone disintegrated =( what capacitance is your HP filter? Mine are regular 50v electrolytic 6.8µF. Cool write up
                  mine are 50v and 4.8µF

Comment

Working...
                  X