INT: Re-Wrapping your interior with vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Re-Wrapping your interior with vinyl

I got some leather for my 91 since I could not take the look of the maroon color any longer. Instead of paying the upholstry shop about 40 per door panel to wrap it in new colors, I figured I would try it myself. It is something you will need to practice, but its not all that hard once you get what you have to do.

The Supply's you will need:
    vinyl in the colors you want- get these at a local upholstry shop, mine charged around $10/yard. Ask them how much you should need to do it, cuz I forgot. Make sure you keep your receipts w/the colors on it incase you need more for mistakes.
    padding stuff ask the upholstry shop for the same amount of the padding that they put behind the vinyl on the doors. It gives it cushion, and also makes it easier to not have ripples
    hairdryer- used to heat up the vinyl and stretch around bumps.
    exacto/cutting blade- to cut it with
    contact cement- do not get spray on, get a jar, and a paintbrush to put it on with.
    -If you want to get the carpet for the bottom of the door, there is special stuff that you get at the upholstry shop that is called stretch carpet or something. made especially for doors.

Directions:

1. Start by pulling off the old vinyl. Take off the window track part, the handle, the light at the bottom, the part around the lock.

2. cut out a pattern in the pad stuff to make it fit(make sure its larger than the door panel, sux when you are an inch short and have to start over) put contact cement on one side of that, and on the door panel. Follow the directions on the can/bottle on how to apply it. It should get sticky from 15-30 minutes later.

3. Then carefully put it in place, keeping room to fit all the curves. It is much easier if you can have someone hold up one end of the material while you push it down. Dont push it down too hard until you have the whole thing on, then go back, and press hard.

4. when cutting out the pattern for the vinyl, make sure you will have extra around the edges. repeat the contact cement with the padding, and the vinyl. This is where it gets tricky. Do the same process as with the padding, but you will need to slowly heat up some areas to stretch the vinyl out to bend it around the corners.

5. The best way to get non-rippled corners is to heat up around the vinyl there, then stretch it out quite a bit, then wrap it around the corner, and put something to hold it around the back like a clothespin. When you are putting it in the channel between the middle part of the door, and the outside, make sure put it in there all the way, and then let it dry... then trim it off.

6. Make sure once again that you have pressed everything down good. Let it sit for whatever the cement says(usually about 24 hours) Then you can cover the handle part the same way, and the bottom where the carpet is. If you want to get the carpet for the bottom, there is special stuff that you get at the upholstry shop that is called stretch carpet or something. Especially for doors.

I think thats it. I did my rear doors and got ripples, but then the upholstry shop told me i needed to use that padding stuff. wish they woulda told me first. But it takes some time, and definately alot of patience. But when you get it all done, it is well worth it. If you have any questions, you can pm me, or aim at aero3685

heres a pic of mine:
    You can see some of the ripples from not having the padding... oh well. Ill get the front ones and the dash done, then do them again.

Im still waiting for time to do the dash and doors as you can see.

Last edited by aero; 11-29-2003, 02:01 PM.

Nice DIY man, i might have to try this when i get the time. Would doing the seats be anywhere near as simple?
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

If you mean re-covering the seats, im sure that would take lots of time and patience. I wouldnt even try. You would have to sew it exactly right for it to fit...ya know what I mean. That would be one thing I would leave to a professional.

Comment

I was acually just about to write up a diy on this topic. thanks man for doing the work for me u can also use velevet on the middle section of the doors

Comment

Yeah, you can use whatever kind of materials on the different parts. Now that I have that done, I am probably going to try to fiberglass something up, that looks a little smoother and better looking than the stock door, then cover it. We will see. I might do the front ones first, then try that after.

Legacy, do you have any pics of yours?
          Last edited by aero; 11-30-2003, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685
            Legacy, do you have any pics of yours?
            Not at the moment I just got my digi cam back from the repair shop Ill try and get some pics tomorrow when theres daylight out

Comment

aero.. any more pics man? did u redo the fronts with the cushioning and shit yet?

i painted my girls interior but this would be awesome to rewrap it..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

No, Unfortunately, didnt have any extra time @ college, and didnt have time over xmas for interior work, since i was putting my wrecked beast back together. I might end up getting an extra dash and front door panels, so i can recover them, and then swap them in. Im also going to do some fiberglassing to both just to make it flow a bit better than stock.

Comment

any updates on this?? anybody else do this and have pics??

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
                  Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                  by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by papychulo82
                    any updates on this?? anybody else do this and have pics??

i'm with mah boi, some updated pics?

Comment

picies no workie for me

Ride List
                      1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                      2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                      newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

aero..wouldn't happen to have the pics of this up anywhere, would ya?
                        anybody else ever at least TRY this, or that could offer some advice and maybe put up a pic or two

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
                        by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

i really wanna try this but it would really help to see the pictures. Thanks.
                          Arcadia Green Crew Member #9

Comment

Come on....SOMEBODY has to have pics or insight into this?? somebody?

Click ^^^ for MR Thread

Comment

im doing this like in a week or so
                              ill post up a DIY with pics aight, im doing sway, black for the door panel and red for the middle section and the bottom section , im doing this on all 4 doors and planning on doing the dash as well, but still dunno bout the dash, i dont want to take it out, it a big ass hastle and i dunno if im going to do the dash cuz of that reason
                              lisa is long gone, but sophie is here!

i got a good feeling about this one

im going to have to
                              |_..._...____________======||_|_|__--]
                              "(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****" (@)
                              check out my mr thread
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=106541

Comment

Working...
                              X