X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT-GM Dimmer/Temp/Comp Rearview mirror Conversion

So since my last DYI was veg. I will attempt to make this as clear as I can

(Edited)

So Since the 90's through 2005 and beyond, Gm cars/Trucks all have cool mirror's to chose from the early ones mostly in 92/94 cadillacs are auto dimming some newer ones like in a 96 suburban is a auto dimming and Compass further more another example is a 98 suburban Auto Dim/ Compass/Temp along with the S10 and camaro Lights built in between 98 and 2004 both companys Donnally and Gentex create Onstar/Dim/Compass (02 deville) and Onstar with lights (Monti carlo) and as pointed out homelink in some . I was not satisfied with my installation of my Gentex 177 Temp/Dim/Compass even some that controled the side mirrors.
    The way I had created my past one looked tacky and did not look like it was any part oem looking. I found a deal on a Dual Line display Dim/compass/Temp from a 2004 Saturn Vue (made by donnally) I tinkered with it and here are my results

Here we Go parts list

Donnally Mirror Model 015607 (saturn vue/Ion)

The temp sensor and wire
    The Mirror Wiring
    Electrical tape
    Weatherproofing plastic
    Crimp connector's or Sauteing iron
    T/tap if you prefer
    Crimps
    Razor blade ( or something to cut the wires )
    zip ties if you prefer
    windshield pieces from a 02 Deville or such

1 Here is where we start I am adding this (just if you want to pull it )this is from the 2004 Vue
    this is added to assist with the wires you may need
    you obviously want the mirror the wires for this travel to the rear of the suv and connect 2 lights on its way back you can go to the rear and take the plastic off the side I took this much wire for the mirror
    With the Temp sensor it broke apart all the plastic shielding even through the grommet at the firewall i took this all the way back to the seat where it travles back to the rear

With this said I made some mistakes along the way and no this is not the most professional way but it works for me and looks close enough

I have tinkered with a few mirrors over the years first was just a map light from a s10 next was my auto dim temp and compass single line both of these were very poorly thought out

Though i used a lot of zip ties you can use whatever you want

Prep: I went to the j.y and broke open 3 mirrors and found the inner workings of them in the end all you will use is the roof mount with the ball. This is a trimmed version of what you will find

I pulled 2 mirrors so this is the other for my example

that's what you will have

then I took the Fat Neck and wanted to make this work I did it this far back so it was not to far forward you can play with it and see what I mean

I did this by dilling and pliers to the center of the neck I pulled out the spring you will find and put the roof mount inside after a few zip ties later *pics will be added soon
    and the roof mount and mirror are combined, If you were to put it in the car at this point you would have a gap about 2 fingers big I will explain the fix on this later

Next was wiring the daunting task *I preferred to try this with my bumper and fender's on the car* I started at the bumper
    Took the winker out... and the corner light

This is of my last install but the concept stays you want to mount the sensor so it grabs as much of the real temp compared to the temp of your bumper and the road... at this point my temp is off about 3 degrees to the temp on my phone. I took the a lot of plastic wire wrap from the yard and slipped it on I ran it behind the bumper light

up behind the fender mount (fallowing the stock wiring) this is where it took out my A/C relay and ran the wires just under them with the stock wires ( there will be a plug that will rest here) At this point I ended the tubing taped it off and cut into the stock wiring just before the wheel. at this point its self explanatory just cut press the wire's into the tubing and wrap with electrical tape do this as far back to the firewall as you feel comfortable then add a bit more tubing back to this hole that you may or may not have to drill out

inside the car you may have enough left to pretty much hit the front of your seat

Now you can work on the mirror take your mirror off if you have not already ( take the cover off take out the 3 screws)
    take down your visor and visor clip for more working room in the head liner I took the passenger side apart as well

I took a zip tie and wrapped and taped all 4 or 5 wires
    and here is the tour for those wires

At this point I took the weather stripping off, now I decided to run my temp wires up over the cruse control box out to the side of the dash.
    next I drilled a hole directly beside the hood pop to use my ground
    I used a T tap at the cruse control

fuse in line to the Yellow wire

Temp wires match to each

now you can re connect your battery and test the mirror

everything works GREAT!

Now the gap I took the compass part and wedged it between the windshield and the end of the "neck" flipped the old windshield mount so it points down now your mirror will hold just fine I have no issues and if done the way this is made it wont move with every bump this is literally the sturdiest mount i have yet to accomplish

Now the settings for this model

held here http://www.techwebasto.com/accessori.../EC_Mirror.pdf
    Last edited by schierholz; 05-06-2013, 12:25 AM.

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

nice work.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

nice DIY, I would love to do this, but I love my wide view broadway mirror.. I cant have both worlds lol.

Comment

Excellent write up. I did this mod in my SE last year. It was pretty cool.

Comment

2 Years ago i started with a map light then got a upgrade to my Gentex 177 now I got this one. I don't have a garage for the home link which i may just incorporate into my visor at some point
          Last edited by schierholz; 05-06-2013, 12:37 AM.

Do it once, do it right.
          Missing My
          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

I've wanted to do this modification for a while. I'm just waiting on being able to find an OEM offering from any manufacturer that has Homelink WITHOUT OnStar. I'm sure there's plenty out there, I just haven't seen one looking around.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Later Accords have that, don't they? Or is that built into the maplight assembly?

Comment

I know the CLs (both generations) have them built into the maplight.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I think I saw the same in a later CG Accord too. I remember I saw a 2001 Accord EX sedan at the wreckers and it had the homelink button in the maplight assy.

Comment

Well either way I'm going to use a Vigor maplight with tweeters that I already have so I'd prefer it be the mirror that uses Homelink.

Comment

yeah I looked into that when i was at the yard with the home link and all what i found is the 97-01 Cadillac Catera come with homelink and auto dimming on the mirror. but really everything is just a sugjestion or a idea really. but those interested here is my set up I think it turned out pretty Good looking if I must say so

Do it once, do it right.
                      Missing My
                      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Hmmm, I don't remember a homelink button on my 98 Catera. I think mine had Onstar.

Comment

I guess it was a option I hit up 2 catera in my local yard and they both had the thick mirror as I pointed out could very well be a option cadillac had
                          For that car ... I'm going to try playing
                          With the visor and mounting one in/ on there

Do it once, do it right.
                          Missing My
                          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

might have to go to the yard and mod this into my 5 way mirror

Comment

Very nice! I've been wanting to do this since I had my 02 GTP. That mirror was wonderful.
                              The GTP had OnStar stuff on it as well. I read in my research for my CTS-V (which has a similar mirror... no compass or temp, sadly) that said the OnStar functions can be converted to be bluetooth phone controls with a mod that costs about $100.
                              I'm sure it would only take a little more work to make one of those mirrors work as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X