INT: Recover Door and Rear Deck Speaker Grilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Recover Door and Rear Deck Speaker Grilles

There was an earlier DIY for simply reinstalling the existing fabric, but all the picture links are defunct. Sometimes the fabric is missing, or soiled beyond cleaning.

Needed:
    - Tools to remove door panel and speaker cover.
    - Spray adhesive (I used 3M High Strength 90)
    - Speaker fabric (got mine from Fred Butcher R/T Enterprises); it was about $9 for enough to do at least 12 covers. The maroon fabric is somewhat lighter in color than OEM, but it sure looks better than the black plastic. The mesh is finer as well. I also got some tan; it matches the tan interiors very well.
    - Scissors

Remove the door panel, remove the speaker grille from the door panel. I used brake cleaner to remove the old adhesive.

If you have the old fabric, use that as a template to cut the new fabric. Leave a generous margin around the grille; remember it has to cover the face of the grille and go around the sides, it can always be trimmed later.

Spray adhesive around the edges of the speaker grille, inside and out.

Spray adhesive around the edges of the fabric. I left the center without adhesive to allow it to stretch easier and so the adhesive doesn't "block" the sound.

Start at one side, then stretch the fabric over and around the speaker grille, trimming as necessary.

Reinstall the grille on the door panel and reinstall the door panel.

This is a tan one I actually did first. I didn't make the fabric tight enough, you can still see the pocket where a label ("Bose" on SE?) can be mounted. I may redo it, or find a label to put there.

Oct. 19, 2013

You can use the same technique to recover the rear speaker pods.

Remove the pods (three nuts underneath), remove the four screws that hold the cover to the pod, remove the fabric. The original fabric appears to be almost melted to the cover around the edges. I overlapped the edges of the new fabric onto the back of the cover (outside of the holes) to provide more adhesive surface. The new fabric I have doesn't seem to stretch as much as the old, so I had to cut it larger than the fabric I removed.

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-25-2013, 09:56 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Nice. One of my navy blue covers is coming off. Thanks.
    10th Anniversary Accord.
    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

What adhesive did you use? I tried this for the cloth on my door panels because they got wet and started peeling off. I took them off, peeled off the cloth and sanded the panel clean. Bought and used the orange adhesive can from autozone and re applied the cloth and it didn't stick 8/
      I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

3M High Strength 90. I'll see how it holds up. You typically have to wait a few minutes after applying the adhesive to both surfaces before putting them together.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Looks good. Mine were tan and when i redid them I just went with black.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
          Originally posted by Jarrett
          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            3M High Strength 90. I'll see how it holds up. You typically have to wait a few minutes after applying the adhesive to both surfaces before putting them together.
            I waited 5 minutes like it said. Only thing I can think of is the old adhesive that was on the cloth prevented it from drying and tacking like it should.
            I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

This DIY is awesome, good job!!!

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

Added information and photos for recovering rear deck speaker pods.

Comment

Sweet Mrk. I did my front and rears in black. I found old speakers outside from a house system. Took the fabric off and slapped it on my car speaker covers. Dopness.
                  **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                  Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                  Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Remember that the 3M adhesive 90 is kind of tricky to work with too. You have to wait for it to tack of course, and then you have to press it down firmly as it bonds to itself. Hense why you have to spray both things you're working on. My .02 so some people might not have to do it twice. Nice DIY, I'm going to do this soon myself.

Comment

Excellently done DIY write up. As old and non mechanical as I am...I was able to understand how to do this on the Coupe if the need arises. Can I copy it and pass it on?

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                        Excellently done DIY write up. As old and non mechanical as I am...I was able to understand how to do this on the Coupe if the need arises. Can I copy it and pass it on?
                        Cut the "old" c__p, I'm only a couple years behind you. Copying is OK by me.
                        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          Cut the "old" c__p, I'm only a couple years behind you. Copying is OK by me.
                          Old as in almost 58! I go to meets and I feel like everyone's grandpa! LOL--I go to the American muscle car shows and I feel like a kid...

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                          New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                          My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

I know the feeling, I'm 55. I'm in my element at the classic/muscle car shows. I haven't had the opportunity to take any of my Accords to a CB7 meet. I've only met a few members in the Cincinnati area.

Comment

Working...
                            X