INT: Indiglo Gauges

Installation for Indiglo Gauges .

Tools needed:

small flat head screwdriver or pocket knife
    several other screwdrivers
    wire strippers
    wire connectors
    and patience!!!!

and HAYNES manual for Honda Accord 90 through 93 (Chapter 11)

Step One: Removing Center Console

First, disconnect your battery. You do not want anything to short out while working on your car. It's better safe than sorry.

Next, you need to remove the center console where the shifter knob is located.
    There are four screws that hold the center console to place. Two are near the driver and passenger seats. The other two are in the front of the console.
    Take off the shifter knob and boot to remove the entire center console out of place. You can do that by taking off the two screws hidden inside the console.

Step Two: Removing Instrument Panel

Next, You need to remove the instrument panel. This is the large plastic cover that goes from the left side of the steering wheel to the bottom of the radio.
    There are several screws that hold this to place. You will need to remove all of these.

Start with removing the coin box.
    Use your small flat head screwdriver or a pocket knife and carefully pry the cruise control and sunroof switch off..
    Do the same to the brightness controller, hazard, and rear window defogger. Once those are done, unplug the electrical connections.

Next, remove the air vents. You can do this with you small flat head screw driver. Don't be afraid of breaking them because if you are, you will never be able to take them off. So just stick you screw driver on the side of the air vents and pry one side off. Do this for all three air vents. Just take your time and everything should pop out easily.

Also remove your ashtray and remove the four screws inside it. Two are above the ashtray and two are towards the back wall. I believe there is also a screw behind the lighter as well.

Now there are several screws that you need to remove. They are located in the following places:
    The left driver air vent
    Inside the coin box
    Inside the cruse control and sunroof switch
    Inside the brightness control switch
    Inside the two middle air vents. One screw for each vent.
    The underside of the half dome where the gauges are. There are two located there.
    and two are right above the radio

Step Three: Removing Radio & Dashboard (optional)

You might need to remove your radio. I have an aftermarket radio that required it's removal. So check your application to see if this step is necessary

Remove you radio. There is one screw behind the radio that you need to remove in order to remove your radio.
    If you cannot get to it (like me) you need to remove your dashboard a little in order to fit your tools and fingers.

You can remove your glove box for a little more room. There are three screws total which two are located below the box and one is on the right side where the spring is located. Once those are off, you can remove your glove box. This will give you some more room to work, but you can try to remove the dashboard without removing the glove box if you can fit in tight areas.

There are four bolts on either side of the dash board. They are near the doors. Remove the four caps and there will be a 10 mm bolt there.

Next remove your clock. Take a flat head screw driver and pry it off. I think I pry it from the right side, but either way you should be very careful not to chip or scratch anything. There is another bolt behind the clock that you need to remove.

Then at the bottom of the dash near the shifter and under the radio towards the floor of the car, there are two bolts that you need to remove. Pull back on the carpet and you should see them. Remove the two screw that is located on either sides.

Once that is done, pull back on the dash a little and you should get another room to remove your radio from behind.

Step Four: Removing Gauge Console

Remove your instrument panel and you will see your gauges.

There are four screws holding your gauges to the car. Two on either side. Then remove the electrical connections.

Step Five: Installing Indiglo Gauges

Installing your indiglo gauges.

Remove the clear plastic face that protects the stock gauges. There are several clips around the cluster that you need to pry open. Be careful not to break them because you need it in one piece. Once open, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR GAS GAUGE.
    I took a ruler and put it parallel to the needle and put a mark on the side of the cluster. That way if you do move it, you can put it back to it's original spot.

Start with the rpm gauges and slip the indiglo gauge over the needle and bend it a little to fit the entire needle. To do this, simply put the indiglo through the tip of the needle and slide it towards the center. Then put the indiglo flat on the stock gauges and side it into place. Do the same for the other three. For the last gauge (gas and temp) I think I put it on the temp needle first and then bend it to fit the gas. Just take your time and carefully put them on. There is no need to remove the needles.

I didn't need any glue to hold them to place. I just took the two small black screws that were on the stock gauges and use that to hold everything to place.
    As a test, very carefully take your finger and move each needles to see that they move freely.

Have the wires to the gauges hanging out from the side and snap the clear plastic covering to place.

Remove the top light bulb of the gauge cluster because you will not need it anymore.

Step Six: Wiring Indiglo Gauges

Put everything back together and hook the wires of the indiglo gauges together into the electrical box given in the kit. There are four wires form the kit and you will only use three of them. I cut the fourth one off.
    Put the electrical box inside the instrument panel to the right of the brightness switch. It was a perfect fit!! (at least in the 4th generation Accords)

From the box, there will be a positive and negative wires that are responsible for powering the unit. I use the dim lights from the car as the power source. If you look on the top of the gauge cluster, there is a bulb there that lights the stock gauges. Since I will not be using that anymore, I cut that off and wired them to the indiglo gauges.

Next, you will want to turn on the lights and test the indiglo to make sure everything works.

Step Seven: Finishing Touches

(Thanks Flooredaccord)

why is it such a bitch putting the cluster back in? Anyone have any advice for as to how to put it back in without it being such a fight? It keeps kinda catching on that black plastic piece between the steering wheel and where the cluster goes.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

If someone doesnt want to try all those steps they might want to try how I did mine. When I did mine I just took out the instument cluster w/ cd player (didnt have to remove center console)/ removed the steering column covers / tilted steering wheel down / then removed 4 screws and pulled the gauge cluster out, then I was at your step 5. Also if the cluster seems tight getting it back in, try taking off the steering column covers and then push the bottom in first and have the top of the cluster facing down and it should be easier to go in, but you'll have to play with it to get the top wire harness connected. Hope this helps someone out.
      Jay
      Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

when you remove the steering column covers is there anything special you have to do? Does it just pop off? This is the first time i have ever taken this part of the car apart/off, so im full of questions and dont wanna break anything, thanks for the help man.
        2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
        2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Theres about 7 screws on the bottom steering cover, just unscrew them and then the top and bottom peices snap apart, you'll have to pull the tilt column handle down to be able to remove the bottom peice, but you'll figure it out once you see what Im talking about.
          Jay

Comment

Mine was a biatch too... first mod I had done, and what a trip it was Now, I have taken the dash, steering column, and instrument panel apart so many times I can take it all apart in like 5 minutes It'll be easy after a bit of practice....

i have a question I'd like to pose while I have you though... has anyone run into any problems with interior lights after installing gauges? Mine dont' come on anymore... the shifter, climate, and button lights don't work anymore.... ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by OlDirtDog
              the shifter, climate, and button lights don't work anymore.... ideas?
              You probably didnt get all the wiring harnesses connnected, 3 on the back of the cluster-and the light dimmer, those control the lights, so make sure you've got everything plugged back in. And if thats not it then you might have blown a fuse when wiring up the new gauges...so check all the fuses-under the hood and under the drivers dash. Hope this helps.
              Jay

Comment

Originally posted by akkordlayinkit
                You probably didnt get all the wiring harnesses connnected, 3 on the back of the cluster-and the light dimmer, those control the lights, so make sure you've got everything plugged back in. And if thats not it then you might have blown a fuse when wiring up the new gauges...so check all the fuses-under the hood and under the drivers dash. Hope this helps.
                Jay
                Thanks again, I got your post from the other thread too... I gotta check the dimmer now.... and I"ll check the connections on the cluster, too....

Comment

yo man. how do u get the gauge wires out from the cluster box. and where do u conect the red and black wires of the reverse gauge swich????/
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Working...
                  X