INT : Map light install EX and SE trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT : Map light install EX and SE trim

This is a Diy thread to install maplights in your cb7.I found mine off of a '96 accord ex, but Mike found his from an oddysey which are exactly like mine.Good luck and do at your own risk.Btw I have an Ex so I done my work through the opening in the headliner from the sunroof...Lx and Dx people might have to take your whole headliner off...

Things you'll need:
    -Maplights with factory plugin
    -Around 7 ft of 20 ga wire
    -4 electrical wire splices
    -Electrical tape or shrink wrap ( your choice )
    -Wire strippers
    -Sharp carpenters knife or hobby knife
    -black marker and a piece of paper
    -Scissors

PHASE I
    First off start by taking the trim off around the sunroof.

This tab is on the frontside of the sunroof, right behind the position you will be placing your maplights.

Pull down with some force right where this tab is at.Be careful not to be too forceful because the headliner can crack or break, very brittle.Once you pull the tab all the way out you can remove it by sliding it forward.This opens things up for you so that you may get in there to do any cutting with your hobby knife.
    I was kind of amazed to see that there is a slight mold of where maplights could have gone.At least I think thats what it was, but you will see it in there.This is what I used for a guide to start cutting.Sticking my hobby knife between the headliner and the roof of the car.And occasionally rechecking the fitment to see if i need to trim more or not.

The other way you could do this is by tracing an outline of the map lights on a piece of paper and cutting the inside out.Then hold that outline up on the headliner and take your marker and trace the outline on to the headliner.This way you would be cutting your hole from the bottom apposed to cutting it from the top as I did.

Cutting was very time consuming I thought, trying to get it just right, and being careful not to do a rush and ruin job.My hole looks ragged on the edges but thats all covered up with the map lights.Awful hard to cut the one material...Also I left my hole a smidge smaller than the maplights, that way they are held in there good. Because at the moment this is the only way you'll be able to hold them in until I figure out something better.But they dont fall out or shake at all on me.So I can't stress this enough leave your whole smaller than the map lights but just big enough to squeez them up in there.

PHASE II
    Go to your old dome light and pry the clear cover off.You'll see that there are two nuts holding your dome light on.Remove these and your dome light will fall down showing the wires you will soon splice into.

Now that you've got your hole cut out, your maplights fit in there nice and snug, and your existing dome light removed, we can move on to wiring these babies up!

PHASE III
    Get your wire and cut it in half.One half will be your ground and the other your positive,positive being WHITE with Blue stripe and your black obviously your ground..lol..I wired both of these directly to the existing dome light for a constant 12v.I did this by running the wires around the sunroof. I then spliced into the positive WHITE and blue wire and took the ground wire and wrapped it around the stud in which the existing dome light mounts to the roof.I made sure I wrapped the ground wire to the stud a good few times to be sure it wouldnt fall off when I began to mount the dome light back in.
    Once you have all your wires connected give the map lights a test to make sure you have a good connection.You may have to hold the ground wire by the old dome light to the stud to insure a good ground. Once you stick your dome light in it will tighten that wire right up so no worries there.

Finished product...

If you guys have any questions just shoot me a pm or post here and I'll be glad to help out with anything I may have missed.

-Josh

Tight....possible project for me.
    My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Nice write up Josh, thanks for doing that.

So I gather just the pressure holds the light assembly in. OK. Yeah, you're cutting must have been a little scary going in. If I ruined my headliner I'd freak.

But with a sharp enough knife I'd be willing to give it a go --- lemme know if you come across a light gray one!
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

That's awesome, I might have to hit up my local scrapyard in search of some gray maplights now...

Thanks for the wicked write-up
        "Vision without Action is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare."

Comment

No problem guys, glad to finally contribute something to this site.

Deckeda, Yup just pressure is holding it in, but like i was saying. I want to check out the car that I pulled these off of maybe there was a bracket been a while...
          I'll keep ya updated on finding something
          Very scary going into the headliner, probably explains why Ive had these sittin in my backseat for almost a month... But after you stick it in, theres no turning back..haha..Good luck everyone!
          later
          -josh

Comment

Originally posted by flyinlow
            ... Yup just pressure is holding it in ...
            Forgot to ask, what are those two holes on the backside of it towards the outside edges (in your fourth picture)?

Looks like where mounting screws might go, but of course since you removed the light from a car you would have had to unscrew them.

Comment

Yeah those were the mounting holes, Im thinking back and i think that there was a piece of sheet metal with two holes in it, that came down enough for the map lights to mount to...could very well be wrong though we shall see.
              -josh

Comment

A-ha!!

Comment

Nice write up Josh and again nice install

Thanks to Ronald for the great picture.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

www.vancouveraccords.com
                  www.esodraggers.com

Comment

nice work. I've had mine sitting around for almost a year now, i know how ya feel.

1. i need to paint it tan, it's grey and i have a tan interior. If you go to the yards for that kid, maybe look for a tan one and we can swap or something? i dunno.

2. I don't have a sun roof and my liner looks a lot different then yours does. It doesn't seem like I have as much room above my liner as you do. I'll eventually check it out, but who knows, I might never get around to installing it.
                    --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

very nicely done!

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
                      www.maketradefair.com

Comment

Has anyone done this on a non sunroofed CB7?
                        '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
                        EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Originally posted by dwf137
                          nice work. I've had mine sitting around for almost a year now, i know how ya feel.

1. i need to paint it tan, it's grey and i have a tan interior. If you go to the yards for that kid, maybe look for a tan one and we can swap or something? i dunno.

2. I don't have a sun roof and my liner looks a lot different then yours does. It doesn't seem like I have as much room above my liner as you do. I'll eventually check it out, but who knows, I might never get around to installing it.
                          I might be able to get you a tan one from my local scrapyard. I was in there today and they had a few Acura Legends lying around with tan interiors. If you don't mind that model maplight, I've got a Grey interior and wouldn't mind trading
                          So long as you don't mind shipping to canada...

What car is your maplight unit out of?
                          "Vision without Action is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare."

Comment

damn dude i was going to do this for my project when i replace my sunroof glass since it's shatterd.

but sweet io can't wait to do it

Comment

Originally posted by dwf137
                              ... it's grey and i have a tan interior. If you go to the yards for that kid, maybe look for a tan one and we can swap or something? i dunno....
                              Fine by me, dwf137; I'd be happy to take your grey maplight. Same style, correct?

So Josh if you come across a grey one first hit me up; if you come across a tan one hit dwf137 up and I'll get his grey one if he notifies me.

Or dwf137 we can just talk about it now if you want to get rid of it regardless.

If so, PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X