No announcement yet.

INT : Map light install EX and SE trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those look very simmilar to a CD5 EX maplights. just locate them a lil further back. that was my only problem

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      well I just wanted to share....I haven't done this YET, but did find mine from a 97 2.2 CL in the JY today. I got the bracket and everything but am kinda nervous about cutting the headliner. Now if we have an EX w/ the sunroof can the headliner for this area come off...I thought I read somewhere??? I just don't want to snap anything. But here's some pics of mine....basically like everyone else's:

Just take apart the liner and look inside you will see the markings on were to cut it. I did mines in 30 min and looks great I did it the same day I got it could not wait lol

Links to my rides :
      1992 Accord EX*
      1990 Accord EX
      1991 Accord SE (4th)
      1991 Accord SE (3rd)
      1991 Accord SE (2ND)
      1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
        Just take apart the liner and look inside you will see the markings on were to cut it. I did mines in 30 min and looks great I did it the same day I got it could not wait lol
        when you mean take apart, does that mean the headliner has to come off and then you'll see the markings? OR did you do it w/ the headliner installed and just unclipped it a bit?

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

when you mean take apart, does that mean the headliner has to come off and then you'll see the markings? OR did you do it w/ the headliner installed and just unclipped it a bit?

Yes I meant to take the headliner off. I didn't take the whole liner off I just open the sunroof and looked inside the liner and you will see the marking inside. The inside is black so you have to look closely to find it. Dont forget not to pull the liner to hard down because you can crack it. There one clip in the middle that you have to pull down a bit to take off but do it carefuly. When I began to cut, i started from the middle so that I wont mess it up trying to start with the marking since you will have little space to see were the marking is at. if you have alot of time on you hands then I would say take the whole liner off and you can do it perfect that way. I will be adding my DIY to this post when I do (Hondaisdashit) maplights and show the marking and were its at

Links to my rides :
          1992 Accord EX*
          1990 Accord EX
          1991 Accord SE (4th)
          1991 Accord SE (3rd)
          1991 Accord SE (2ND)
          1991 Accord SE

Comment

Originally posted by Hondateck2010 View Post
            Yes I meant to take the headliner off. I didn't take the whole liner off I just open the sunroof and looked inside the liner and you will see the marking inside. The inside is black so you have to look closely to find it. Dont forget not to pull the liner to hard down because you can crack it. There one clip in the middle that you have to pull down a bit to take off but do it carefuly. When I began to cut, i started from the middle so that I wont mess it up trying to start with the marking since you will have little space to see were the marking is at. if you have alot of time on you hands then I would say take the whole liner off and you can do it perfect that way. I will be adding my DIY to this post when I do (Hondaisdashit) maplights and show the marking and were its at
            sweet, Yeah I eventually saw the little template Honda had in the headliner. But I might have cut out my hole a little too big. I didn't know it was that inner template we were supposed to go by, so I used the outer one. And now after All is done and through, the maplights work but the picky person in me can see some of the cutting marks, just ever so slightly....likek less than 1/4 inch on the edge.

Oh I managed to use the bracket as well. Which makes it WAY more sturdy than just cutting a hold and snuggin it in that hole. I'll post pics in a little while of what I did. It took me about 3-4 hrs to do it though....lol I mainly got frustrated w/ the sunroof trim, placing it back on, and then realized it was supposed to be flipped over and then it went on like cake, I love how my mind works at 5am.

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Okay! got the maplight ordeal/situation figured out. I just went in w/ a brand new Xacto knife blade and it wasn't like cutting into butter lol, idk what that headliner is made out of but if an Xacto has a lil trouble, then its sorta tough.

But took some snapshots of my little project:

^^first started out looking for that template behind the headlliner...THERE it is!

^^then cut the hole.....a little too big...but it worked out in the end. I followed the wrong template...theres an inner one that you're supposed to cut it out from first i guess.

^^thats what i Should have cut out, that template....oh well its done now

^^haha its like i cut some flesh from my CB7! ahhhhh

^^better shot of the hole

^^^how i spliced the wires into the maplight pigtail

^^^we have LIGHT!

^^^shot w/o the flash....they're pretty potent for map/direction reading at night.

finished shots of it all mounted up. You can KINDA see some of the headliner material peeking through, so make sure when you do this, that you cut the hole out SMALLER than needed.

^^finished shots

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Im glad people are still finding my diy useful.That really sucks that you cut the hole too big, you can definitely see it, ohwell though right.Why did you opt for the gray instead of finding the tan to match your interior?
                Last edited by flyinlow; 09-29-2008, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinlow View Post
                  Im glad people are still finding my diy useful.That really sucks that you cut the hole too big, you can definitely see it, ohwell though right.Why did you opt for the gray instead of finding the tan to match your interior?
                  to tell you the truth, i didn't even notice that until now lol. Oh well, I dont notice the color diff. that much, it doesn't bug me. If I find another in tan, then i'll get it and replace it. It takes what, 5 min right? But at least I've got the maplight function now, which is really what I was going after, thanks again for the DIY writeup
                  Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-29-2008, 02:44 AM.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Okay! got the maplight ordeal/situation figured out. I just went in w/ a brand new Xacto knife blade and it wasn't like cutting into butter lol, idk what that headliner is made out of but if an Xacto has a lil trouble, then its sorta tough.

But took some snapshots of my little project:

^^then cut the hole.....a little too big...but it worked out in the end. I followed the wrong template...theres an inner one that you're supposed to cut it out from first i guess.

^^thats what i Should have cut out, that template....oh well its done now

^^haha its like i cut some flesh from my CB7! ahhhhh

^^better shot of the hole

^^^how i spliced the wires into the maplight pigtail

^^^we have LIGHT!

^^^shot w/o the flash....they're pretty potent for map/direction reading at night.

finished shots of it all mounted up. You can KINDA see some of the headliner material peeking through, so make sure when you do this, that you cut the hole out SMALLER than needed.

^^finished shots
                    wow I didnt think you would have cut it that big ...lol I did mines with a kitchen knife so I would save the cash came out ok. I used the bracket as well and made it hold perfect.

Originally posted by flyinlow View Post

Yea man great DIY I thought about this a few years back but never did it and you made me rethink it

to tell you the truth, i didn't even notice that until now lol. Oh well, I dont notice the color diff. that much, it doesn't bug me. If I find another in tan, then i'll get it and replace it. It takes what, 5 min right? But at least I've got the maplight function now, which is really what I was going after, thanks again for the DIY writeup

well my boy is about to get one maybe I can tell him to get the tan and you guys swap ?

Links to my rides :
                    1992 Accord EX*
                    1990 Accord EX
                    1991 Accord SE (4th)
                    1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                    1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                    1991 Accord SE

Comment

well my boy is about to get one maybe I can tell him to get the tan and you guys swap ?[/QUOTE]

yeah that'd be fine if he finds a tan one. I've got that grey one but it doesn't bug me THAT much, since i rarely look up at my headliner anyways.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I still wanna do this. I keep looking at JYs for them and i cant find them. CBs, CDs, Odysseys...Id like to find a CG and grab one from it, but theyre still too new to be at the JYs.

When i do find one i like, THIS is where im going for info.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                        Originally posted by Jarrett
                        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                          I still wanna do this. I keep looking at JYs for them and i cant find them. CBs, CDs, Odysseys...Id like to find a CG and grab one from it, but theyre still too new to be at the JYs.

When i do find one i like, THIS is where im going for info.
                          yeah it was a pretty rare sight to see the Acura 2.2 CL I got mine out of. It was a 97, so it barely made the cut for this DIY lol.

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

bump.

I did the hole today while on my lunch at work.

I got everything done. I will try to do a DIY since it was harder on my LX headliner hehe.

Hopefully cp[mike] can work on a custom wiring solution to have the lights turn on when the door(s) open.

Comment

Hahaha, I've Been Wanting to do This for so Long !!!

Thanks flyinlow ...

I went to eBay like a year ago and looked at tons of map-lights from sooo many cars.
                              Any map-light would fit .. well most anyway. My CB7 is an LX, sooo,
                              I gotta get the ballz to pull the liner ..

I'ma keep an eye on this thread ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                              Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                                Thanks flyinlow ...

I went to eBay like a year ago and looked at tons of map-lights from sooo many cars.
                                Any map-light would fit .. well most anyway. My CB7 is an LX, sooo,
                                I gotta get the ballz to pull the liner ..

I'ma keep an eye on this thread ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                                Tomi
                                if you need one I got one, its a little bit lighter than the one I originally mounted in my pics, I think they've got Drk grey, grey and tan, I finally found the right tan one so i put that one in just 3 days ago. But i got this grey one w/ bracket and pigtails if anyone needs it, just PM me.

member's ride thread
                                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                                X