Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: DIY custom cleared switches (plastic polishing 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: DIY custom cleared switches (plastic polishing 3)

materials
    -plastic polish
    -cotton cloth
    -sandpaper (400g 600g 1000g 2000g)
    plastic polishing
    custom int door handles

here is an ordinary hazard switch (thanks Tommi).

start by removing the frount of the button. you can pry it off carefuly from the front or the back like this:

once off, start sanding the paint off the button with 400g. it will look like this:

when you are done sanding the paint off, go to a finer grit paper like 600g and work your way to 1000g and 2000g. after that, use the plastic polish. it'll look like this when done:

if you work at it for a while you can get rid of the red dust inside the button.

here is what it looks like done:

here is what it looks like on in the car:

if you feel the need to do this, you can also do the cruise contol &, sunroof buttons, a/c buttons, defrost button, hazard button, ect. however, i don't think anyone will ever do this, it was more for fun. later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

lol, more "Plastic Polishing." Plastic Polishing Gone Mad!!! lol, some neat DIY's though

Comment

Change the LED color underneath and you could have some fun.

I had absolutely no clue those were clear plastic that was painted. Do I want to know how you figured that one out

This is kinda neat.

Comment

your amazing. it would look better if after you made it clear you also installed a amber led so it wasnt a white light.

Comment

wow i vote you #1 plastic polisher extraordinaire! try and polish the instrument cluster bezel that surrounds the gauge faces. that would be hot!
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

glad u got better use of that hazzard switch lol. went to a good home
            <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
              Do I want to know how you figured that one out
              i once scatched a button and noticed there was clear plastic under there.
              Originally posted by timmy0tool
              try and polish the instrument cluster bezel that surrounds the gauge faces. that would be hot!
              i would have done it, but i have metal covering it all. i always prefer metal over plastic.
              Originally posted by tommi
              glad u got better use of that hazzard switch lol. went to a good home
              haha
              Originally posted by 91accord4door
              it would look better if after you made it clear you also installed a amber led so it wasnt a white light.
              true. i just wanted to make peoples imagination light up. i don't think people will actually do it, but it might lead to something cool. later .

Comment

thats awesome,
                now all i need is time, i have an amazing idea.

do what you did, but then spraypaint some red "stained glass paint" on it, so the light lights up the whole switch,

paint on the hazard sign in black

so reverse of what it is now

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTUFFGUY
                  thats awesome,
                  now all i need is time, i have an amazing idea.

do what you did, but then spraypaint some red "stained glass paint" on it, so the light lights up the whole switch,

paint on the hazard sign in black

so reverse of what it is now
                  I like the direction he's going. You could even maybe take it one step further and paint on certain designs. Maybe a demonic eye, or even the honda symbol...hmmm... I need time to think.

Great write-up BTW!
                  Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                  D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                  ┴─┴
                  ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

thanks. that was my goal, to get creative juices flowing. later.

Comment

lol actually i have a perfect use for this! i flipped my hazard button vertical and put it in that empty gap between the main center vents (took a good amount of filing btw)... so the triangle picture is pointing to the right and u can tell i flipped the button over... i should sand it down, paint it a transparent red, paint a white triangle on it... it would match what the style of hazard button in the 5th gen lude, which goes along with the rest of the 5g lude parts in my interior!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

hey i got an idea you guys might like. I got vtec now and i've always wanted vtec lights so i bought some leds now i don't know where to put them. But i have an extra 4way switch. hmmmm what to do...
                        1. take the leds back to autozone
                        2. do what this thread is about to my extra switch
                        3. wire the illumination wire to vtec solenoid
                        4. paint black with vtec in dark red when vtec hits vtec lights up

holy shit this was the best idea i got. now i don't have to rig my leds in my gauge cluster. I'm going to start on this now. Thanks for the ideas.
                        vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

/\/\/\ creative juices. later.

Comment

thats a pretty good idea
                            post pics when done

Comment

effin kool!!!

Purchased from: 90-JDMCB7, cb95spd, 92_dr_p, ukaccord92, slammed4thgen, 93a-lude, h22anow, cb7addicted, H22WAGON93, tonymontana1204, agol, Joshy

Sold to: di2accord

Comment

Working...
                              X