INT: DIY Short Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: DIY Short Shifter

I've always been looking around for a short shifter for my car and could never really find anythings or if I did it was pretty pricey. So out hacksaw and angle grinder. In about less than 45 minutes (and a trip to the auto parts store) I had a made a one that looks pretty damn good and makes a big difference. I'll have pics up this weekend.

Tools:

Screwdriver or power drill
    hacksaw or angle grinder is preferred
    blanket/towel/ will explain
    allen wrench

1. Remove stock shift knob. This can be done by sqeezing the bottom of the shift knob near the shift boot. Once these are seperated the shift knob will be able to unscrew.

2.Remove center console by take out the four screws that hold in it place. Removeconsole to expose shift assembly.

3. This is where you have a choice. Either you can remove the shift knob out of the car or leave it in. I opted to leave it in just because i was lazy at the time. lol

4. Now that you have youe naked shifter in front of you measure how short you wanna make it. I measured 2 1/2 inches from the bottom of the shifter and placed my cut mark.

5. Place a towel or blanket around the seats and shift assembly if your cutting inside your car. A) it wll make clean up easier and B) if using an angle grinder will reduce catching your seats and carpet on fire. If you are cutting inside your car be sure to have your windows open and be in a well ventilated area. I love the smell of burning metal but I dont think you want your car to smell like it.

6. Now grab a hack saw and makes a few swipes at your cut mark. This will help you have a cleaner cut with the angle grinder.

7. After you start your cut with the hacksaw, get that angle grinder out and start cutting. be sure to wear gloves and eye protection.

8. Once your cut is made, take the shift knob of your choice and it should slip right over the shifter. Most aftermarket shift knobs come with little adjustment screws that can be use to tightened and steady the new shift knob. These take the allen wrenches and are pretty easy to install. The shift knob that I got was the Maltesse Cross and one of the adjustments screws stripped out on me. I didnt want to deal with drilling it out so I just made a verticle cut into the shifter itself. Its slid on with no problem and I had no side to side action which was even better. I tightened the other adjustment screws and its on there solid. My stock shift boot was ripped up and total so I went out and picked up a new one. Unfortunately it doesnt fit properly so I will be searching for a new one the new couple of days.

The end product though is a sweet looking short shifter that reduces my shifting throws by 50%. It feels alot more comfortable in my hands too. I'll have pictures up by this weekend and I will have the step by step pics to go along with this DIY.

**Edit**
    This is a Do it yourself. Im not responsible for any failed attempts on your vehicle.**
    Last edited by 84Blazin; 01-23-2006, 07:50 PM.
    90' Honda Accord LX Sedan
    Everytime I feel blue, I remember to breath again.

I've seen a couple of these but figured that I'd throw mine up. The only things that cost me was a new shift knob and shift boot since the stock ones were junk. Cost me $25 bones all together.

Comment

I have a question. So when you cut the shifter did u cut it two parts like a piece in the middle or did you just basically cut off a piece off the top and put the shifter knob on.

Comment

the way i did it was just cut off about 1 1/4 inches off the top of the shifter, then slid my new knob (pilot ball knob) and used the three screws to hold it in place as neither the shifter nor the knob had threads (the knob had plastic sleeves held in place by the 3 screws). i had to grind down the side of the shifter to fit into the knob. this makes the shifter about 3 inches shorter, and through pothagreas' theorum (or just a top of the head guess), reduces throw by about 1-2 inches. the knob looks a lot better too

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I just cut the the top part off. Its prolly about an 1in and a half from the base of the shifter. Pics will be up tomorrow night :d

Comment

Pics Added

Comment

How do you reduce the length of the throw when you don't relocate the shift pickup?

You have a lower shifter, but the cable still goes the same amount...it just feels shorter.

On my car I hacked the lever at first...but it was when I relocated the actual cable location is when I noticed the shorter shift.

Looks good though.

Comment

where did you relocate the cable?

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=Short

I followed that. See how it relocates the cable. Combine this with your shortened height and it will be a perfect shifter

Comment

thanks for the link. I'll be giving that a shot this weekend.

Comment

Still have yet to relocate link. Once i do I'll gets pics

Comment

Working...
                      X