INT: Aftermarket boot using oem pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Aftermarket boot using oem pieces

so i received a leather shift boot with red stiching the other day but it was way long and funky. i was going to see if i could trade it for someone but i decided to custom fab it to my oem shifter. the aftermnarket boot i got had this plastic ring near the top and i just cut it off w/ a pair of scissors.

so to take off the center console, you must first take off the shift knob, pulkl collar down from shift boot and then 4 screws for the center console to come out.

if you look at the oem shiftboot and flip it inside-out. the collar is attached with a rubberband type thing and a ziptie.
    take those off and seperate the collar from the shift boot

flip the new boot inside out and insert the collar, i put the shiftboot a little bit furthur up the collar since it was so long.

zip-tied

the metal bracket trimmed due to my short shifter (provided by fushigi)

the leather boot is stretched over the bracket

bolted in place

whalaa!!!

a bit scruntched but oh well...total time took 40 minutes
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

nice diy wes, samething i did a while back

Comment

How come the shift bracket had to be trimmed? It looks like you trimmed the area where it would go into reverse. I'm guessing it can't go into reverse unless you trim that. Pretty cool DIY. I just need to find a way to make it work with aftermarket knobs, that don't clip into that collar.

Edit:

And also, the collar looked like the chrome paint was flaking off it. A suggestion you can follow, is to remove that collar and paint it chrome, but I think a flat-black color would look great with your setup.
      Last edited by i97supratti; 02-24-2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
        How come the shift bracket had to be trimmed? It looks like you trimmed the area where it would go into reverse. I'm guessing it can't go into reverse unless you trim that. Pretty cool DIY. I just need to find a way to make it work with aftermarket knobs, that don't clip into that collar.

Edit:

And also, the collar looked like the chrome paint was flaking off it. A suggestion you can follow, is to remove that collar and paint it chrome, but I think a flat-black color would look great with your setup.
        because i have a short shifter from fushiigi...it still hits in 5th but oh wel.
        i shoulda painted the collar but it was getting dark, oh well.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I just noticed, did you paint the shifter? It's black Did you just use any flat black auto spray? looks nice

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
            I just noticed, did you paint the shifter? It's black Did you just use any flat black auto spray? looks nice

the fushigi shifter was painted black when you send it out to get shortend.

The knob is always black..

Comment

Working...
            X