INT: Stereo Removal/installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by i97supratti
    I have one question though, what do you do if you drop a screw and it falls into the bottomless pit in the center console? I've dropped a few screws, among other things (drill bits, etc.) down there
    put a drop cloth over the pit to keep anymore from going down there. later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Great write-up for those unfamiliar with this.

Note: There are 6 screws total for the '92-'93 center console.

Drop cloth=good idea. Learned once from losing a screw.
      '92 Accord LX Sedan--Bordeaux Red Pearl --OEM--279k Daily Driver
      EX Lip & Alpine OEM single CD Player. No more useless pocket!

Comment

Good write-up, very detailed.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Love the write up. I got that same deck too.
            90' Honda Accord LX Sedan
            Everytime I feel blue, I remember to breath again.

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
              For a 5 speed, you will need to do some extra steps to remove the center console. Nothing hard, you just need to unscrew the shift knob first. THen you can pull the center console and the boot over the shifter and off. I have one question though, what do you do if you drop a screw and it falls into the bottomless pit in the center console? I've dropped a few screws, among other things (drill bits, etc.) down there
              That was the hard part for me. I could not unscrew the shift knob. In the end I did not open the center console when I changed my stock H/U with my Alpine and I accidentally drop one screw somewhere.

Does anyone have step by step pictures to unscrew the shift knob? It was really hard and I feared that I might break something.

Comment

the shift nob should just unscrew off. theres no bolts or screws holding it. the shift knob has been tapped so pull hard enough and it will come off. it did on my freinds prlude anyway so we could re-paint the interior pieces. good luck
                95 accord 5-speed green coupe SOLD!
                93 H22 PRELUDE 5spd si Black

I have a JWhite retro, Do you?
                fghgfhf

Comment

It took me two hours to get my center console & radio.Didn't even have to remove the shift knob. My stereo might look like a ghetto setup (no dash kit, radio sits in open space), but I really enjoy getting in my car and bumpin' my music knowing that I spent my time working on it myself.

Peace.

~DirtySouthHonda
                  Last edited by DirtySouthHonda; 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowzil
                    Does anyone have step by step pictures to unscrew the shift knob? It was really hard and I feared that I might break something.
                    You have to remove the shift boot first. If the knob is on straight, pinch just below the junction of the knob to the boot, right in the middle parallel with the doors, and pull down, the boot should slide off. If you can't get it, pinch harder and pull down.

After that, the knob screws and unscrews like any other nut, lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

Comment

yea 92-93 console is a pain in the rear to get off without breaking where it meets in the middle.

As far as connecting the wires, being it's what I do for a living, I would recommend bell style crimp caps. Then use a zip tie to alleviate any stress on the connections themself. I've never had a problem with that style. Soldering is nice, but not necessary here. But I do solder when i do all my remote starts.
                      any demand for a remote start DIY?
                      The CB7 Timeline

Comment

it'd be cool

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordexpower
                          any demand for a remote start DIY?
                          Yes please.....and not just for auto
                          1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

To be honest you do not need to screw your new headunit in place from the bottom. Too much work IMO. If someone wants to steal it, they will. Mine is just held in by pressure, and has been for a while with no problems of it falling out. It makes it easy to just pull it out if I need to, not taking out the center console. I just put the shifter in 4th and pull it out. Mess with my wires (I have a lot of those now) and put it back.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
                              To be honest you do not need to screw your new headunit in place from the bottom. Too much work IMO. If someone wants to steal it, they will. Mine is just held in by pressure, and has been for a while with no problems of it falling out. It makes it easy to just pull it out if I need to, not taking out the center console. I just put the shifter in 4th and pull it out. Mess with my wires (I have a lot of those now) and put it back.

so is mine.

i said i'd put it back when i installed the amp....

multiple amps have come and gone, and the HU has been pulled out countless times, and i still haven't put that on. haha.

Comment

cool man, good write up
                                -pax
                                Seattle, WA

Comment

Working...
                                X