-curved tip flathead screw driver
    -center punch
    -sharpie
    -step drill bit
    -drill
    -dremal (optional)
    -tin snips (straights)
    -sandpaper (400g to 1000g)
    -mother's mag & aluminum polish (optional)
    -plastic polish (optional)
    -cotton cloth

to start, remove the rear veiw mirror. using the flathead screw driver with the curved tip, pry off the cover. there you will see three screws, remove them and the mirror comes off.

(tip: don't close the snips while cutting out the metal)
    then put the cover on the aluminum sheet. use the sharpie to trace the shape of the screw cover. keep the marker straight up and down so it will make a copy of the shape, but bigger. by doing this, it makes a base and covers up the mark that the cover made in the vinyl headliner.

use the tin snips to cut along the outside edge of the sharpie line you traced. after you cut it out, use the sanding drum on the dremal to clean up the burs left behind by the snips.

and sand it with 1000g lay it flat on a piece of cardboard to keep from bending it.

next lay the mirror on your cut out. use a center punch to mark the screw holes (no hammer is needed as the aluminum is quite soft).

next, use the step drill bit to drill out yout holes. i made the holes 9/16 so i would have room to slide the cut out around to make sure it's centered on re-instalation.

a pic of the 9/16 holes on the mirror

the base for the mirror is two piece. one part plastic. the other aluminum. (this is where the plastic polish comes in).

on the aluminum part, you can choose a brushed look or polished. sand off the black paint with 400g, then go to 600g, then 1000g, and polish or stop at any grit if you want brushed (depending on how pronounced you want the brush marks to be).

when done, this is what it looks like

or you can just pop the cover back on and it will look something like this

it was so easy that i decided to do my dome light as well

later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 10-19-2006, 05:01 AM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Its all about the detail! You never cease to amaze.

Comment

well.....i must applaud this DIY..once again TypeG has found another way to make our cars have that "bling" factor... i might have to ponder this..
      do you know of a way to keep the mirror from vibrating so much when you have a sub??
      Last edited by papychulo82; 04-14-2006, 11:30 PM.

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
      Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
      by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Nice and subtle. Great mod.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

typeG, not only am i going to have to do this, but i might also have to steal your idea for the headliener emblem! that looks awesome.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

^^^i agree that emblem on the headliner is freakin awesome, i might have to get one! Great DIY!

Comment

jesus h christ
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by papychulo82
                do you know of a way to keep the mirror from vibrating so much when you have a sub??
                haha, turn down the sub there are holes in the bottom side of the mirror which you can fit a tiny screw driver in and tighten some screws, it won't stop the vibration, but it will keep the mirror from walking around during bass sessions.

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                typeG, not only am i going to have to do this, but i might also have to steal your idea for the headliener emblem! that looks awesome.
                that's cool, it doesn't bother me. i actually tried to peel the emblem off but it's really stuck on good....i'll probaby cover it up with a maplight DIY. thanks for the replies. later.
                Last edited by TypeG; 04-15-2006, 04:20 PM.

Comment

nice diy type g imma try and do that today

Comment

a few more pics of the finshed product(s)

did the steering wheel emblem also:

before

after

later.
                    Last edited by TypeG; 11-17-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

i did this today but it still has small little marks in it. the highest grit i have right now is 800. is 1000 grit nesesary or is 800 ok but i will have to sand more? did u have trouble getting just underneath the mirror any tip on that
                      this is an awsome diy!! What will you come up with next

Comment

Originally posted by slammed90ex-r
                        the highest grit i have right now is 800. is 1000 grit nesesary or is 800 ok but i will have to sand more?
                        do you mean the black part of the mirror? yeah it will take a little longer with 800.....................on the sheet of aluminum i only used 1000g, it didn't take to long to smooth it
                        did u have trouble getting just underneath the mirror any tip on that
                        are you talking about sanding or getting the cover off?
                        this is an awsome diy!! What will you come up with next
                        thanks. i have a few ideas, but i need to get my hands on some parts. later.

Comment

thats bad ass

Comment

looks cool

Originally posted by deevergote
                            Yay. You're an asshole.

Comment

Oh snap, he raises the bar on the bling-factor once again. Nice DIY man....
                              1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X