Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Trunk Umbrella Sleeve

Another frivolous waste of time...

Had some leftover 2" drain pipe from a previous bath remodel so put it together with an overactive imagination and bad things happen...

Actually even though I never drive the CB7 in the rain anymore I couldn't help myself and created this trunk mounted umbrella storage sleeve. The idea came to me when I viewed some pics of a "Rolls Royce Umbrella Door" (of all things) that had round umbrella storage pockets in each front door. They were located in the doors above the latches so the only way to get to it was to open the door and press the end of the umbrella as you would a button and it partially pops out to facilitate access. A novel idea to be sure but not one I cared to duplicate on my car.

Since I've always kept an umbrella or two in the trunk anyway this idea seemed logical and easy. So with a single 2" diameter ABS drain pipe one end cap and a fuzzy piece of Velcro to keep the umbrella handle from rattling, I proceeded to install it using wire ties to the side of the CD changer. Which unfortunately may limit this to a small number of you who don't have one. But perhaps for those with more imagination another way can be found to fasten one below the rear package shelf instead? Just be sure to install it low enough to clear the trunk lid torsion springs as they make a lot of noise when they rub against ABS (don't ask).

Of course if anyone wants to duplicate the Rolls' design feel free...

The "CBrella7" design (catchy?)

Last edited by hiptech; 03-29-2022, 08:48 PM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

This is a nifty mod! It is certainly a better way to store an umbrella rather than the way that I keep one shoved under the passenger seat.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

At the beginning, I was worried that I would scroll down and find a CB with a hacked up door with an umbrella shoved into it. Your solution is much better than expected, nice mod! You may want to drill holes along the rim of the bottom cap, just to make sure any residual water drains out. I might make something similar, hmm...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks...

In hindsight the 2 things to keep in mind:
        1. The pipe diameter (and length) need to be sized for the umbrella.
        2. Now that Mike mentions it I didn't consider (any) adequate ventilation. Possibly since I rarely would use mine. But good to consider...

Regarding item 2, I suppose if you store a wet umbrella in the sleeve it would make sense to provide holes to drain and ventilate it without removal. Hmm, I wonder how Rolls does it?
        I can envision a series of large diameter (about 1" to 1-1/2") holes (using a Forstner bit) in a zigzag pattern (vaguely similar to a brick "running bond pattern" but with holes) along the entire length of the tube.
        The tube (pipe) structure doesn't need to be that rigid since there is so little stress from the inside or out (just be sure to remove all internal burrs so as not damage or impede sliding the umbrella).
        In fact if drilled properly it can have less material than holes. So long as it resembles a symmetrical lattice to maintain structural rigidity.
        Though I'm not sure how well a folded umbrella would dry within the cylinder that's inside a sealed trunk?

Lastly (props to my wife for this idea) if you really want to "bling" this up, consider wrapping the exterior opening with a ring of LEDs that connect with the trunk light... trunk open lights on and visa-versa.
        Last edited by hiptech; 03-30-2022, 02:29 PM.
        My Collection:

Comment

Draining a soaked umbrella also brings up the question of potential rust, or mold in your trunk's carpeting. With the 'bottom' end of the tube sealed, might it not be better to drill holes in the top, to promote evaporation, instead of letting it puddle up in or under your trunk floorboard? A sealed tube that's easily removable can also simply be pulled out and dumped on the ground outside the car when you get home, and the umbrella left out to dry quicker.

In the case of the Rolls Royce, putting it in the door makes sense because all car doors are designed to drain water anyway. Looking at that photo, the umbrella slot is clearly at an angle. All Rolls would have had to do was leave a little hole at the bottom end to drain the water into the door, where it then drains out through a hole in the bottom of the door with the rest of the rain water that falls on the glass. Although, as much as a Rolls costs, that drain hole on the umbrella slot would probably have a nipple with a rubber hose attached or something complex like that to force it to leak in a very specific way. Hondas, on the other hand, are already known to develop rust on the spare tire anchor thanks to failing taillight gaskets, so it could be risky adding another source of moisture there.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

All very good points and I agree completely. I suppose in the end the sleeve would be useful for carrying the umbrella dry and then just keep a plastic bag and when it's wet bag it until you reach home.
            Last edited by hiptech; 03-31-2022, 11:17 PM.
            My Collection:

Comment

Very nice. I'd like to see you make it "pop" out too like RR

Comment

YOU COULD POSSIBLY ADD SOME 45 OR 90 DEGREE 1/4 INCH HOSE BARB FITTING AND RUN SOME HOSE OUT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE QUARTER PANEL NEAR THE BAFFLE BEHIND THE BUMPER. SEEMS CRAZY BUT YOU NEVER KNOW IT COULD WORK. I USED TO INSTALL WHOLE HOUSE WATER SOFTENER SYSTEMS AND THATS KINDA WHAT WE HAD TO DO FOR DRAIN SOLUTIONS OUT OF THE SYSTEM AND FOR THE WATER MAIN WHEN THE SYSTEM RECYCLES ITSELF AND DRAINS ITSELF. IVE SEEN CRAZIER IDEAS BUT HONESTLY YOU COULD PROBABLY BE A LITTLE CRAFTY ABOUT IT AND THE PARTS ARE RELATIVELY CHEAP. I DIG THIS D.I.Y. ITS SOMETHING COOL THAT NO ONE REALLY THINKS OF. dammit sorry my caps lock was on the entire time. lmao

Comment

Working...
                X