• Show
Clear All

INT: In-Car Camera Mount

DIY Camera Mount for 4th Gen Accords:

*Caution: DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT AT FAULT IF ANYTHING

PARTS LIST:

3 – ¼ x 2 ½ inch bolts
    1 - ¼ x 1 ½ inch bolt
    3 - ¼ inch lock nuts (or wing nuts if you can find them)
    7 - ¼ inch washers
    1 – ¼ inch rubber washer (for tripod ball head)
    1 - ½” plastic tubing/hose (used for water pumps).
    1 - 1”x 48” box aluminum
    1 - Compact Ball Head (try ebay for this or a good local camera store).

Projected price = $20-$40
    Home depot parts = ~$11
    Compact Ball Head = ~$10 - $30

TOOLS LIST:
    - Anything to cut the aluminum with. It’s 1/16” thick. Some say you can use a hacksaw. But I preferred to use my air compressor and a “cut-off” grinder (I don’t know the exact name of it.)
    - Ruler
    - Marker
    - Drill with ½” and ¼” drill bit
    - Dremel to smooth out edges of cut aluminum
    - Scissors for Tubing
    - A VISE (or something similar to hold the aluminum while cutting it)
    - Head Rest
    - Eye Goggles and Gloves (recommended b/c of metal shavings)

INSTRUCTIONS:

*Put on Safety Wear (goggles and gloves)

1. First the box aluminum will be needed to into 2 pieces: 1 short and 1 long. The short piece is to go around your headrest and the longer piece is the part that extends into the center of the car for the camera mount. I went and measured the approximate center and the Short piece should be ~10” long and the long piece should be around ~19”. Measure and mark each piece. You can alter the longer piece either shorter or longer so that you can have the camera positioned to your liking.

2. Take the aluminum to the vise and clamp it down (make sure to put some padding around the aluminum – like a sock – so that the vise doesn’t bite/scratch the aluminum.

3. Get your cutting tool of choice and cut the 10” and 19” piece.
    4. Use the dremel sanding tool to smooth down any rough edges.
    5. Now, align the 10” and 19” piece end to end. Mark where you are going to drill ¼” holes for the 2 ½ “ bolts. Make sure 2 holes go on the outside of the headrest and 1 hole is in the center. Also, make sure it won’t get in the way of the headrest posts (for later on).
    DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE EXTRA MARK IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PIC (THERE ARE 4 MARKS, YOU ONLY NEED 3). I MISS MARKED A HOLE)

6. Drill out the 3 holes with a ¼” drill bit. CAUTION: The drill bits tend to bite and catch into the aluminum, so be careful.
    Last edited by cokinut; 12-03-2005, 10:42 AM.
    BBB= Black Bumpered Beauty

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

'98 Prelude (BB6) Type SH

7. Now, insert a ¼” x 2 ½” bolt into each of the holes. Put washers before inserting the bolts and put washers before putting on the locking nuts/wing nuts.

8. Tighten Down the bolts so that the 2 bars are pressed tightly together.
    9. Now, place the clamped piece sideways. Markings are made for the headrest right in between where the clamped pieces meet. I forgot the measurement of the headrest, but measure from the center of each post and then mark it on the aluminum.

10. Get your ¼” drill bit and drill a pilot hole all the way through the 2 marks. Then step up to the ½” drill bit and finish it off. ADVICE: this was the hardest part of the entire process. The drill bit bit into the aluminum so many times. Patience is key.

11. Now, cut 2 pieces of tubing each being 1 ½ “ long. This will protect your beautiful headrest from being scratched up and will also act to hold the camera mount in place.

12. Cut down the center of each tube. (This will allow the post to slide down easier).
    13. Loosen the 3 bolts and place the tubing in the ½” holes. Now, slide your headrest in there. Make sure it feels snug when tightening down. Adjust what you need as necessary.
    14. Now, at the end (where you want your camera mount located), drill out a ¼” hole for the compact ball head.

15. Insert the ¼” x 1 ½” bolt. Remember to put the last metal washer at the bottom and the rubber washer underneath the compact ball head.
    16. Screw on the Compact Ball Head.
    17. Test fit it in your car making sure to adjust things as necessary.
    18. NOW TAKE YOUR CAR FOR A VIDEO SHOOT!

Total time: took me about 2 hours to make this. That includes getting tools, making the camera mount, testing and fitting, and cleaning up.

* for the sharp edges, you can get plastic end caps for them. I got cheap and used electrical tape.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

that turned out sick man i wanna do 1 even tho i don't got no damn camera. good 2 cuz all u have 2 do is take head rest off and slide that on and off if u want 2 when its in use and no in use. sweet man good job.

Comment

i've seen similar creations done by other track enthusiasts. good job, cokinut.

the only observation that i would make is that if *i* had done this, i would preferred to have mounted the camera closer to the headrest. with the weight of the camera, you can already see the mount pivoting. moving the camera closer to the headrest would reduce the leverage generated by gravity.

but don't think i'm taking away from camera mount. it's a darn good one.
        Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

great invention...

why dont u sell them on ebay.. u can make some money.. hehehe.. great idea.. i would do it if only i dun have race seats in mine.. hehehehe..

Comment

USC, you are right. But even tho it tilts a tad, it still is sturdy. So all i have to do is just readjust the ball head to make it level. But i'll probably drill another hole closer to see if the video's will come out less shaky (i haven't video taped anything yet).

I would sell them on ebay except that they take too long to make for my schedule.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

you wouldnt sell them, no one would buy a DIY heh no offence, but turned out very nicely. if i wanted to vid my amazin drivin skillz. id do that. but i dont vid my stuff yet

Comment

you are quasi-correct on that part of people buying them. But you wouldn't realize the amount of "lazy/unskilled" people there are (not talking about people here). People sell custom mesh grill's to each other, DIY blackhousings to eachother, blah blah blah. Just helpin out the DIY section

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

just noticed the sock and the BVD adds a nice touch.
                  Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

muwahahaha. Don't joke, they have skid marks! just playing. After a few washes, they make good shop rags. never know when you'll need those holey underwearz!

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

Oh, and to alleviate the problem of shaking, I did what 92Jr suggested and moved the camera mount to my drivers seat so that I could absorb the vibrations. Haven't tried it out yet, but it sounds right.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

sweet man. hope it works out. it should i don't c y it shouldn't work but u never know. good luck and hurry up we wanna c a new video

Comment

well.. i feel really aggrivated i was just looking around on superhonda.com and come to find this..
                          CB7 DIY CAMERA MOUNT GOT JACKED
                          yeh.. he jacked cokinuts complete thread.. without even giving creidt to the creator of this mod.. or anything.. kinda ticked me off seeing someone who came up with this not getting create..
                          just felt like ranting about how cb7 got jacked..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Originally posted by WiKKeDV16
                            well.. i feel really aggrivated i was just looking around on superhonda.com and come to find this..
                            CB7 DIY CAMERA MOUNT GOT JACKED
                            yeh.. he jacked cokinuts complete thread.. without even giving creidt to the creator of this mod.. or anything.. kinda ticked me off seeing someone who came up with this not getting create..
                            just felt like ranting about how cb7 got jacked..
                            i'm kinda ticked off too. Put all that hard work into taking pix and writing it. Grrrr. Oh well. It was not my ORIGINAL idea, but i believe i'm the first to write one for the CB7. So, anywho, at least i know my info is going to good use. a little credit wouldn't hurt. thanx for findin that.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

thanks Wikked for giving me credit. didn't read the whole thing until now.

MY MEMBERS RIDE PAGE

Comment

Working...
                              X