INT: CUT/WELD Short Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: CUT/WELD Short Shifter

Having a 90 5-Speed, I got tired of the "truck like" throw of my shifter and this left me wanting a shorter throw and shorter shifter, and no aftermarket companies make a real short shifter for my car. I did this DIY that can cost no $$ and works great!

I went out and found an extra shifter from an old 90 5-speed just because I didnt want to cut my stock one, anyway, I got some simple pics and directions on how to do this short shift mod.

1) Remove the shifter from the shifter housing

2) Take apart the whole bottom part of the shifter (there are some nylon type pieces that could melt if left assembled during welding process)

3) I used a band saw, but I guess any metal saw would work, cut the mid section out of the shifter

4) After taking the 2 ends to a grinding wheel to make sure the 2 pieces go together well, I welded the top half and the bottom half together (make sure you get a good weld so it dont snap when you go to shift, lol)

5) Re-assemble the bottom section of the shifter you took apart in step 2 (some silicon grease could be used)

6) Re-Install the shifter into the shifter housing and use some silicone grease on all moving parts.

And the finished product, a shorter throw, and a shorter/sport looking shifter.

Last edited by thewoahna; 04-07-2004, 01:26 AM.

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Damn that is pretty short.

Nice write up

Comment

Cool, let me know how it turns out! I left mine at a little of an angle too, much like the angle I left in the half-assed pic I threw together.

Comment

Sorry man, I dont got any actual cut pics, I just did those pics right after you asked for some Step by Steps, I just took the pic from my stock shifter (I modified the one I got from the yard). Teh throw is shorter, I am very happy with the way that mine turned out.

After you remove the bolts, you should be able to remove everything at the bottom of the shifter in step #2 pic so you can see right through the hole once everything is out (I dont know if that makes any sense, hope it helps)

Comment

Cool, glad you like it! I know that I wouldnt ever want to go back to my stock one.

Comment

looks awesome dood. a question, if you chop out the little section with the throw-rod connector, and weld it in a little higher (requires chopping a little off the scrap part of the lever and welding it on underneath the connector stud) wouldnt you also get shorter throws, and because its all welded, wouldnt it be stronger than an aftermarket SSA? just a thought?
            MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
            i pulled over and looked under the hood.
            the engine was still there...
            ...silly light!

Comment

Yeah, that would probably also work. I am glad that I just found a way to get my short shifter. I tried the DIY with the bracket thing, and it didnt work to well for me. I was determined to find a way to keep my stock shift knob on a short throw shifter. It only cost me $30 (for the shifter from a yard).

Comment

Well, in my case, I have looked all over for an adapter/actual short throw shifter for my 90, all I could find was a Pacesetter that they dont make anymore, and a Neuspeed that is only good for the 91-93 (and costs arm and leg). I tried the other DIY with making my own bracket, but the darn cable kept getting in the way when I would put my center consold back in (I tried 16 hours making a bracket that would work, and not success). I was sick and tired of my "truck" shifter, so this was the best way to go, only cost $30. It does make the throw a little shorter, and it looks much better. I didnt want to cut my stock shifter just because I wanted to have a backup in case the custom one broke.

Comment

Coo man, thanks, I will remember that if something ever happens to the one that I made.

Comment

You all should do what I did I have an aftermarket shift knob so I just cut off the whole top part RIGHT under the bend and put my shift knob back on. it is SHORT and has a SHORT throw. It is SOOOO much nicer and no welds to worry about. Heres pics

"you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
                    sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
                    Did work for: jhoff_cb7
                    Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

Comment

kinda feels that way too LOL I love it now though.

Comment

I really dont like any aftermarket shift knobs, I had one, and I just didnt like it, and I have looked around, and I am unable to find any aftermarket ones that I like. Plus, a lot of the aftermarket ones that would work without threads are the ones that always come loose. I really wanted to use my stock knob, thats why I had to use my weld method.

Comment

I dont know, that just seems to short to me.

I mean, do you have to like lean down to the shift. Secondly, I like resting my arm on the shifter to switch the radio

Comment

no I don't have to lean down to shift or nothing. As far as the radio goes it would be no use to lean on it. you wouldn't be able to reach anything but the cupholdersLOL

Comment

Your from the chicago area right?

I am not going to the april 18th CLAC meet, but the next one I should be. If you roll I will have to check out your shifter and see how I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X