INT: Switches in the Center Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Switches in the Center Console

Ok, I sat around and pondered how to install some sort of switch in the center console. Here's what I came up with. I think it looks bomb diggity.

Tools:
    Dremel (if you don't own one, burn in hell)
    Drill Bit (the biggest fitting your dremel that you own)
    Fiberglass cutting wheel (for the dremel)

1. Here's the switch face. Why do these exist?

2. Cut the back off with the cutting wheel.

3. Drill a hole with the bit, and without turning the dremel off, use the drill bit to route out a nice round hole. Make it a tight fit.

Now thread the switch through. If you did it right, it'll be tight enough that you have to screw it through. If it's loose like grandma's skin, don't worry.

Throw on that nut that was threaded on the switch. (if you forgot to remove it, take the switch out and take the nut off)

Now put it into the center console. Rotate the switch a little and then thread it down. The switch should hold itselft against the console.

Mine face the driver, so on/off is toward and away from me. It works both ways. The only folley to all this is you can't make it perfectly up/down because then the switch will fall out.

Here's a shot of both my switches. One goes to the turn illuminators so I can just flip them beyouches on. The other one is the kill switch for the rear lights.

[BONUS INFO: If you interrupt the yellow and orange wires going to the stereo, every light in the car will go out except the headlights and when you hit the brakes. If you interrupt these and the brake lights, it might come in handy running from someone.]

I did basically the same thing a few years ago, except on your STEP: 2, I didnt do that, instead I did mine like this:

that way the switches will stay in place and can remove then easily with a screwdriver.
    And heres the end result:

and just another random shot of the "blank" button that I put to use for my door popper buttons:

Jay
    Hittin Switches - Draggin XhaustAlways Under Construction

Comment

i did it the same way as that rectangle one u have, layinkit... those rectangle switches fit perfectly in between the plastic mouldings of the back of the panel.

ill take pics of my switch setup soon. and ull all see why those blank panels exist

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Ah. That's nicely done. I'm glad none of your switches have a red flip-up cover on them. Those are

Comment

my picies! the DIY switch and the blank panel will be replaced w/ OEM buttons (like the 2 in the pic)... one for interior neons, the other to turn the carPC on and off (future)

and im posting this cuz accordlayinkit's pic reminded me of it... its the power and HDD LEDs for my future carPC. they are mounted behind a piece of dark smoked plastic.. when mounted, u cant even see thru it at all, but u can see the blue light coming thru
          Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-01-2004, 01:32 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

That looks really good, if only I had a year that had the blanked out console switches...my question is has anyone tried to retrofit a stock cruise switch into the sunroof switch to control anything (I noticed that you had a sunroof button installed already cpmike, even tho you've got the LX like me...is that just a dummy switch)...I just that it would be cool to have no blank switches in my car, I've already hooked up me neons to a switch in the radio pocket, but I might be inclined to move it if I could...

Comment

Where did those "half" and "pole" switches come from???

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                my question is has anyone tried to retrofit a stock cruise switch into the sunroof switch to control anything (I noticed that you had a sunroof button installed already cpmike, even tho you've got the LX like me...is that just a dummy switch)...I just that it would be cool to have no blank switches in my car
                im working on filling all the blank switches too, im on my way. if i find an oem fog switch for above the radio, my LED thing is coming out.

about the cruise->sunroof button, not gonna happen. both are mounted to the same circuit board, and the shape of the plastic casing for both switches is completely different. ive actually opened them and compared with the intent of swapping like u thought, and its not gonna happen. right now the sunroof button is a dummy, i got it in preparation for my OEM sunroof install.. which probly wont happen (read: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...&threadid=5765 ).

Where did those "half" and "pole" switches come from???
                japan theres still a few more that i want, but they are from europe and POSSIBLY canada, and i believe only came in the wagons (can tell by the style of console- centered ebrake w/ 2 buttons on either side... only in the wagons). the two matching ones are for OEM seat heaters, and the other one is a headlight washer button. there are also 2 other buttons(not pictured) that came in the wagons only i think, those are the headlight adjust buttons- ones an on/off, and the other was a 4-position adjustment lever. very cool.
                pic: (EDIT: THESE ARE NOT MINE, just a pic i found)
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 05-01-2004, 01:34 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                  im working on filling all the blank switches too, im on my way. if i find an oem fog switch for above the radio, my LED thing is coming out.

about the cruise->sunroof button, not gonna happen. both are mounted to the same circuit board, and the shape of the plastic casing for both switches is completely different. ive actually opened them and compared with the intent of swapping like u thought, and its not gonna happen. right now the sunroof button is a dummy, i got it in preparation for my OEM sunroof install.. which probly wont happen
                  Thanks anyways man...just another one of those crazy ideas I got while spending car too much time at the junkyard...you should do the sunroof thing...other than the headliner...it shouldn't be all that bad...I've totally considered it myself...

Comment

Originally posted by cpmike
                    (can tell by the style of console- centered ebrake w/ 2 buttons on either side... only in the wagons).
                    My sedan has a console set up like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                      That looks really good, if only I had a year that had the blanked out console switches...my question is has anyone tried to retrofit a stock cruise switch into the sunroof switch to control anything (I noticed that you had a sunroof button installed already cpmike, even tho you've got the LX like me...is that just a dummy switch)...I just that it would be cool to have no blank switches in my car, I've already hooked up me neons to a switch in the radio pocket, but I might be inclined to move it if I could...
                      I had the remote control knob from my amp mounted in the sunroof blank spot.

cpmike: your pics/link arent working, i was just curious to see what accordwarrior was commenting on about your switches; and you were talking about fog LIGHT switch right? not the rear defrost switch, cause i got an extra one if anyone needs it

accordwarrior: i saw one of your threads on the cruise control topic but i thought i'd post it here instead
                      Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
                      Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

I placed my switches RIGHT behind the shift boot area, directly across from those plastic inserts..for me, it's easier to reach, and they look better there. I got 4 switches, all toogle, and light up. I got red, blue, green and orange..controlling different things..I got a pic on my page of em..kinda. I can get a better pic at a later time, if anyone needs..

-A. Swift
                        CB7 member number 137
                        Black Doubt Crew member #2
                        Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

Originally posted by tinted_ride66
                          cpmike: your pics/link arent working, i was just curious to see what accordwarrior was commenting on about your switches; and you were talking about fog LIGHT switch right? not the rear defrost switch, cause i got an extra one if anyone needs it
                          sorry about that, i fixed the links. ive gotten a new switch since then (that pic i posted is back from when i had a blue interior, i have grey now), so i have the Half, Pole, and now i have a special foglight button... it has the same pictuer as the stock fog button that is up on the dash, but its a different shape so it fits the floor console. got it from excalibur02... its awesome!

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                          X