Steering Wheel (duh)
    Hub for steering wheel
    flathead screwdriver
    phillips head screwdriver
    ratchet
    socket to remove steering wheel bolt
    wire (about 6 ft)
    electric tape
    star key set ( i bought mine at autozone and then returned them)
    ...i think thats it.

well what else to say...oh, im not responsible for any damages or brocken limbs received performing this DIY...perform at your own risk...ok, now that i've covered my butt, on to the DIY

1. Disconnect the battery (negative first then positive) and remove the cover and fuse of the SRS system (that's located in the driver’s side fuse box) using a small flat head screwdriver.

2. Remove the cover under the steering wheel to get to the airbag switch and plug in the red dummy plug into the airbag connector

3. Remove the 2 Torx screws that hold the airbag in place, they are located on each side of the steering wheel. In order to get to the passenger side Torx screw, you will have to pry off the the cover of the cruise controls first. These aren't your regular phillips or flathead screws, you will need the star key that you could purchase at any auto parts store. Once you take them off, you will be able to simply slide the airbag out and place it flat, facing up, on the ground.

4. Disconnect the horn and cruise control connectors and remove the large Xmm bolt that holds the steering wheel in place. You will now be able to remove your steering wheel.

5. Remove the plastic steering column cover by removing the 4 screws from underneath.

6. Remove the 3 screws that hold the SRS module and follow the wire to disconnect the module. You will now be able to install the your new steering wheel.

7. Place your hub (I used the MOMO 4909 hub) on the column and test fit your steering wheel to make sure it is aligned right. If not, rotate the hub until the steering wheel is aligned right (note - it doesn't matter where the arrow on the hub is pointing). When the steering wheel is aligned properly, take the steering wheel off and place the Xmm bolt on the hub and tighten it.

8. Place the plastic column covers back on bolt your new steering wheel on the hub. Stand back and enjoy your new steering wheel. Now place the fuse and cover back in the fuse box and connect the battery. Now go for a spin.

You will be left with a couple of problems. First, the SRS light will remain on at all times. You could fix this by removing the bulb from the gauge cluster. Second, the turn signals will not turn off automatically, you will have to turn them off yourself every time you use them. I figured out how to use the MOMO horn button but it looks kind of ghetto so you could go another route and install a new momentary button and use that as the horn. If you want to do it like me, read on...
    Last edited by arrozburner; 07-01-2004, 11:22 PM.

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

CONNECTING THE HORN BUTTON

1. Disconnect the battery and locate the blue-red wire for the horns. I followed it from the horns and spliced it by the driver side strut.

2. Run the wire through the firewall and pull it out the other side.

3. Run it inside the steering column cover and through this hole. You will need alot of slack on the wire because you need it to turn the steering wheel. I have about 24in. of slack so my steering wheel turns freely.

*NOTE
    The MOMO hub has a ground wire connected to it already but it doesn't work so just cut it off at the end of the hub.

4. You could use this same wire and ground it to the Hub bolt and connect it to the horn in the designated spot on the horn button.

5. Run the wire from the horn under the plastic hub cover and connect it to the horn. Connect the battery and check that the horn works and turn on your car and turn the steering wheel making sure you have enough slack to turn it completely both ways. Like I said, it looks very ghetto but it works so i'm good. I'm still trying to figure out a way of having the wire rewind itself when the steering wheel is turned back and forth but still no luck. You could just tuck the wire inside the steering wheel column cover when you don't want people to see it.

Well good luck and hopefully this helps some of you out. Any other questions just feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer all of them.
    Last edited by arrozburner; 07-01-2004, 11:23 PM.

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

cool

i need to do this soon now that i got my hub

JDMED

buy my jdm part
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=544951#post544951

Comment

Now this is how a diy is suppose to look. mad props. I just feel sorry for srs owners.

Comment

dayam srs light! i would do this but i like my cruise control too much as well as the added security of the airbag. but nothing beats a sweet steering wheel! props to you dood for the DIY! i want to see it, as well as the rest of the car and yourself, in person. are you going to be there at the next meet? tabtuesdays, walnut CA
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

thanks and i thought it was cancelled cuz it was raided by the cops like a month or so ago? but yeah, im down to going if some of us are going to be there.

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

damn i like that but i think ill keep mine stock to bad they dont carry those with an airbag so the damn srs light will go off yeah. that sucks but laterz

Comment

or if you don't have an air bag like me

soo tempting....

Awesomeness .VS. Cruise Control and Clicky turn signal...

HMMMMMMMMM
                COLBALT CB7 2NER # ?

Winnipeg HAVOC Member: kNate

Comment

..isn't there a sensor somewhere? My friend got a steerign wheel for his civic hb, and his light is no longer on..he said it works similar to the oil light, when you install an aftermarket psi gauge, cut off the old sensor. The dash oil light won't go off, since there is no sender unit it can recieve info from..is there not a way ot jsut cut a wire somewhere, or not replace the srs fuse, and the light won't go off?

-A. Swift
                  CB7 member number 137
                  Black Doubt Crew member #2
                  Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

See..I wish this had been posted or I shouldve asked for help..I completely fucked mine up..at least I didnt properly uninstall the SRS Module..I just ripped it out . I have a pilot wheel from AutoZone looks good but the steering wheel is a bit off so I have to uninstall the hub, and THEN I have to rewire the horn.
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

...lol, is yours red? That might be the same wheel my buddy has on his civic hb! lol..It looks nice, and I am thinkin of gettin one.

-A. Swift
                      CB7 member number 137
                      Black Doubt Crew member #2
                      Ebay Whore Club member #5

-I was at the dentist, breathin' in some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and all of a sudden..I ran faster!!!

AIM: boostinswifty38

alipne 7995 deck, pioneer 400w 4 ch amp, and all the wires for sale..500 obo!

R/C cars and a heli for sale..2 airbrushes, paints, bodies galore..etc etc..tc3 and xxx buggy for sale..400 for it all! hit me up for details n pics

Comment

Ok so this is my question for you guys, i got the sparco hub coming in, and the wheel ect, now one thing i did was try to remove the gauge cluster bulb, cpmike told me to just pull it out, and well when i yanked on the bulb it shattered into 23242423231 pieces, anyways, ill figure out how to wire my horn, but after i removed my steering wheel, there was the SRS reel, behind that is the white piece that will unclick your blinkers, this has to be removed as well correct? Thanks.
                        To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

the s2k sterring wheel is a honda/momo with airbag. would that possibly work? it would be really friggin expensive i think but if you want safety that might be a way to go. right?

Comment

Nice write up

Comment

great DIY bro...... -justin-

MY SH!T FOR SALE!

H23A1 (60,000 miles)
                              tranny (no grinds)
                              ECU
                              DC header w/ heat wrap
                              full exhaust with angled N1 Canister....
                              $1000 obo delivered

SOLD!

Comment

Working...
                              X