Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: Driver's Lighted Vanity Mirror (Retrofit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Driver's Lighted Vanity Mirror (Retrofit)

This write-up was more of an after thought... so bare with me.

Supplies:
    20-22 awg wire
    Heat shrink tubing
    96-97 Accord Vanity Mirror (has light)

So first off, you'll want to pick up the vanity mirror preferably from a junkyard or online. If pulling from a junkyard, cut the wire connectors/wiring for the mirror and buy them too. Tap into the passenger vanity mirror wire on the passenger side of the car... its red with a black stripe. Run that over to the drivers side and out the hole for the driver's visor. Take your original visor and remove it from the car... 2 bolts. Take it inside the house/garage wherever it's cool and remove the plastic cover where the light "should" be.

Then remove the screw. Once the screw is out, slide the mirror assembly to the left and remove.

Get your wire and run it from the upper left to the center of the visor.
    Solder your connection and protect with the heat shrink tubing.

Slide the new mirror into place the opposite of how you removed it and replace the screw.

Take it back to the car and finish your connectors and reinstall the visor. You're done. Any q's.. feel free to ask.

also... you're probably wondering why i didn't just swap the entire visor from the 96-97 models... and i didn't do that because i had a hard time finding a used one in pristine condition like the original from my 92. Not to mention the 96-76 interior colors are slightly off, and you'd probably want to replace both visors to get them to match. It's easier the way i did it IMO.

sean

Nice. If i used my mirror enough, or at all for that matter, i wouldve done this long time ago.

BTW - did you do the maplights too or were they already in when you got the car?

EDIT: Is that a TV in your garage...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
      Nice. If i used my mirror enough, or at all for that matter, i wouldve done this long time ago.

BTW - did you do the maplights too or were they already in when you got the car?

EDIT: Is that a TV in your garage...
      i don't use the mirrors either.. it's just something to have/do/waste time doing

yes, i completed the maplights last week.. and yes that is a tv in the garage

thanks
      sean

Comment

True.

Awesome!

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Very nice, I was just thinking about this the day before yesterday when I was waiting outside my friend's house to pick her up and was like "Wait, do I have anything in my teeth??" :P Nice job, I may just have to do this

Comment

Cool DIY. I did this too on mine. However I just got another lighted mirror out of a cb7 passenger side visor and installed it into a 93 se driver side visor.

Also, I drilled a little hole in the driver side visor mount for the wire to go through, like on the stock passenger side one, so you don't have to just smash it between the mount and the headliner/frame.

Note to folks: the ground connection IS the metal visor mount as it screws into the roof frame.

As a side note, in terms of practicality, I find that having the swing-down flap that covers the mirror is not really practical on the driver side. It blocks the view of the road (not that you should be looking in your mirror while you're driving anyway). But I know I tend to want to check my teeth or something when I'm at a stoplight. I'm going to take the flap off and rig a small manual switch for the light. (the spring-loaded switch right now only activates when you open the visor flap. With the switch installed and the flap removed, I'll be able to turn the light on at will without the flap.)
            My Ride (Click here)

Comment

Thanks for the DIY, it just goes to show the power of searching to get what you want.
              Ironically, I can't find a DIY to remove the roof to get at the passenger side wire.
              MRT
              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
              Originally posted by Tippey764
              I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
              Originally posted by deevergote
              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
              X