Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: 5-Lug Rear Big Brake Upgrade

5-Lug Rear Big Brake Upgrade:

This is to upgrade your 10.3 rear rotors to 11.1, my previous setup prior to this was the prelude hubs with ITR rotors and 93 EX Calipers.

Special Thanks again to NH503P-3 for the help with this DIY as well. Hopefully this will help others to find ways to upgrade their brakes for looks and stopping power!

THIS DIY ONLY WORKS IF YOU ARE 5 LUG!

Parts needed:
    2005-2007 Honda Accord Hybrid rear caliper Bracket and mounting hardware
    2008-2011 Honda Accord Rear Rotors
    90-93 Honda Accord Rear Caliper
    4 x ½ ID, 7/8 OD, and 1.18mm thick Washers
    90-93 Honda Accord Rear Brake Pads
    OR
    2004-2008 TSX Rear Brake Pads

Tools Needed:
    Jackstands
    Jack
    12mm Socket / Wrench
    14mm Socket / Wrench
    Philips Head screwdriver
    Philips Head Impact Screwdriver Punch
    Brake Cleaner
    Rubber Mallet or Ball Pen (depends on how gentle you want to be)

This DIY is pretty self-explanatory, If you have ever changed your rotors and or brake pads then you have already done 90% of this DIY.

Chock the front wheel and place jack stands in the appropriate places in the rear.

Remove your wheel and release your parking brake.

On the backside of the Caliper Bracket, there are 2 12mm bolts that connect the Caliper to the bracket.

NOTE: You can see these bolts on still attached to the (boot bolt?) on the right side of the picture

​​​​​​​

Slide the caliper off and use a piece of string, bungee cord to secure it to the spring to keep pressure off your brake line

Remove Brake Pads.

Remove the 2 14mm Bolts that mount the bracket to the knuckle.

Remove the Bracket.

If the 2 Philips head screws are installed remove and set aside

Remove Old Rotor

Spray new Rotors with Brake Cleaner to remove protective film
    ​​​​​​​
    Install New Rotors and Install both Philips Head screws with the use of a Philips Impact punch or German Tight if you don’t have an impact.

Take your 05-07 Hybrid 14mm Bolt and place it in the knuckle

Slide the washer on the end between the knuckle and where the bracket mounts

Slide in 05-07 Hybrid Bracket

Torque 14mm Bolts to 80-Ft-lbs

Install Brake pads
    NOTE: If you are using new pads you will have to push the caliper back in.

Slide your Caliper back in place, You may have to hammer it a bit to get it to slide on, biggest thing is make sure the nipple is lined up with the cross pattern on the caliper piston

Install and torque your 12mm bolts to 50 Ft-lbs (I personally just did good and tight)

Reinstall wheel.

Lower Car back on ground​​​​​​​
    NOTE: If you pushed the piston back into the caliper, you will need to pump the brakes until the pedal firms up before going for a drive.

Bed your new rotors and possible pads IAW how you prefer.​​​​​​​
    NOTE: My personal tech is 4 semi aggressive stops from 30-15, then 8 aggressive braking from 65-15, do not come to a complete stop and make sure you have enough spacing between you and any car as your brakes may fade initially

Enjoy your Big Brake Setup in the rear.

As always please let me know if you find any errors with this DIY.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Another excellent write up.

I will say be sure to torque the bracket to knuckle bolts, I recently had mine back out creating an annoying situation. I feel like I torqued them to spec, but perhaps heat created a scenario where they were able to back out.

It is also helpful to use a dab of thread locker on the washers to adhere them to the bracket so you don’t have to blindly fumble with them during install.
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Oh yeah!!! I like this!!! New track setup coming for 2022!!
      Last edited by Daheavyking; 08-13-2021, 08:34 AM.
      I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
      Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      My coupe!!!
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
      Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Nice write up! 5 lug is tempting sometimes, this is one of those times

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Wonder if the hybrid caliper bracket is the same as the non-hybrid which are easier to find. (part # is different)

Comment

As near as I can tell, the hybrid is the only North American car that uses that caliper and bracket combination.

I do wonder if the caliper bracket from an TL or CL with an 11.0” rear brake will work.
            http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Tons of Accords in the junk yard, none listed as a Accord Hybrid. May go check them out anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                As near as I can tell, the hybrid is the only North American car that uses that caliper and bracket combination.

I do wonder if the caliper bracket from an TL or CL with an 11.0” rear brake will work.
                I'll have to look next time I go to the PAP, Raf, Ill keep my eyes open for another hybrid, though I don't know how much shipping would cost ya. I think the brackets were fairly cheap, maybe $20-30 USD.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                X