SUSP: Front Lower Ball-joint Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: Front Lower Ball-joint Replacement

Okay well i decided to bring this DIY for those like myself who wanna know how to change their own lowerballjoints. Ive done this already on the type s cb7. NOw I want everyone to know how to.

***Tools Needed***
    14mm socket
    17mm socket
    19mm socket
    36mm socket
    13/16 deep socket
    ratchet
    17mm wrench
    ball joint press
    Big F**king hammer atleast 3 lbs
    3foot breaker bar
    tq wrench that goes to 181 ft lb and a low as 32 ft lb
    retaining ring pliers
    regular pliers
    ball joint separator
    Jack
    jack stands

1. First put stops behind your rear tires.

2. Loosen the lug nuts on your front tires, Then jack your car up and set jack stands under the car.

3. Finish removing the lug nuts and remove the tires.

4. Take your 36mm socket and get someone to press the brake and hold the steering wheel straight and break the axle nut.
    Use your breaker bar and not your torque wrench, this is actually a pic of me torquing it but you get the point.

5. Take the 14mm bolt off the top of the suspension fork.

6. Take the 17mm bolt off the bottom of the suspension fork using the 17mm socket and 17mm wrench or 17mm 2 ratchets.

7. Remove pin from the ball joint then remove the 19mm nut from the lower ball joint.

8. Using a ball Joint separator separate the lower arm from the knuckle. Sorry i must have forgot to take a picture of that :/

9. Remove the axle from the hub. Then remove the wheel bearing cover.

10. now take the retaining ring off the ball joint using the retaining ring pliers.

11. Take your 13/16 deep socket and put it around the ball joint and beat it with the hammer. Your going to have to hit it pretty hard.

12. Once you get the old one out clean the hole in the knuckle. Put some oil around the new ball joint and place it inside the clean hole inside the knuckle.
    This ball joint was frozen but it didn't help. I tried one frozen and one normal then both when in about the same.
    Last edited by h22sparkle; 04-08-2007, 04:23 AM.

so where the pics??...

Comment

13. Take your ball joint press and set it up like so.

14. I used an adjustable wrench on the ball joint press to turn it. Just keep pressing it till it stops turning and bottoms out.

15. Put a new retaining ring back on.

You should be at this stage...

16. Put the wheel bearing cover back on then put axle back into the hub.

17. connect knuckle back onto the ball joint. Then tq to 36-43 Ft Lbs. Then reinstall new pin.

18. Bolt the suspension fork back onto the strut and lower arm. 14mm bolt get torqued to 32 Ft Lbs, and the 17mm bolt gets torqued to 47 Ft Lbs.

19. Install the wheels back on and torque the lug nuts to 80 Ft lbs

20. Remove jack stands from under the car. Lower the jack slowly. Then remove the stop from the back tires. Test drive and enjoy your new ball joints!
      Last edited by h22sparkle; 04-08-2007, 04:35 AM.

Comment

cool cool thanks alot man, still gotta fix some pics cuz the embed is still not right, thanks alot for the DIY

Comment

as for the balljoint press part number from advance the part number is # 648617

Comment

Originally posted by elositocandela
            cool cool thanks alot man, still gotta fix some pics cuz the embed is still not right, thanks alot for the DIY
            done

Comment

Originally posted by elositocandela
              not a problem thats not me btw I found this on honda-tech id just thought it would be usefull to thecb7 community thats all.

Comment

also forgot to mention that the metal wheelbearing the outter bottom edge lip that meets the edge of the balljoint when it comes up it may make contact with the wheel bearing you may have to chave off a tiny tad off the balljoint in order to make clearance to get it out and pass the wheelbearing on the hub. Thats what i had to do to get mine out.

Comment

the ball joint press is useless as ive said many times b4 it can be done very simply with a freezer a propane tourch a hammer and the normal tools and there is no reason to remove the strut fork either
                  just my2 pennies

the build and demise
                  buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

good links man

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

sweet DIY.. i'll be using this when i need to change my lowers

but i swear to god i always thought you were black, sparkle LOL

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
                        sweet DIY.. i'll be using this when i need to change my lowers

but i swear to god i always thought you were black, sparkle LOL
                        dude I am black lol

Comment

Originally posted by HF22T
                          the ball joint press is useless as ive said many times b4 it can be done very simply with a freezer a propane tourch a hammer and the normal tools and there is no reason to remove the strut fork either
                          just my2 pennies
                          Yes Your absolutely right but you never know maybe the girls that are changing their own balljoints may nt have the strength like us and may decide to take the slightly easier way out yaknow. Not everyone is strong like us to remove it. And people like me dont really have acess to a torch like that yaknow. But I see your point though as i did this without he balljoint too but to each his or her own

Comment

Thanks for the detailed DIY h22sparkle

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                            1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                            2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                            2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                            2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                            2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                              dude I am black lol

OH, i thought that was you in the pictures haha