looking to learn how to weld.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starchland View Post
    want to learn welding too...whats the best kind of weld for body panels?
    There isn't really a best for it, it really all depends on what you need from it.

MIG has the smallest heat effect zone, but can't be hammered on or it loses it's integrity. TIG has a larger heat effect zone and can be hammered to a degree without losing integrity. Oxy/Ace welding has the largest heat effect zone and can be hammered far beyond MIG.

In general, all bodyshop's do nothing but MIG weld. Simply because they generally don't need to hammer or shape the panels after welding. In most cases, the metals are preshaped and are what I consider "drag and drop, stich in".. TIG and Oxy welding sheet metals are more for hotrodders and custom panel fabrication where you may need to weld two parts together and then shape them as one on an english wheel/shot dolly.

Everyone laughs when I tell them to READ! READ! READ! As if the only way to learn to weld is by doing it, WRONG! The fact of the matter is, you can be a welder for 25 years and still not be a professional if you never learned the proper methods and practices.

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
      There isn't really a best for it, it really all depends on what you need from it.

MIG has the smallest heat effect zone, but can't be hammered on or it loses it's integrity. TIG has a larger heat effect zone and can be hammered to a degree without losing integrity. Oxy/Ace welding has the largest heat effect zone and can be hammered far beyond MIG.

In general, all bodyshop's do nothing but MIG weld. Simply because they generally don't need to hammer or shape the panels after welding. In most cases, the metals are preshaped and are what I consider "drag and drop, stich in".. TIG and Oxy welding sheet metals are more for hotrodders and custom panel fabrication where you may need to weld two parts together and then shape them as one on an english wheel/shot dolly.

Everyone laughs when I tell them to READ! READ! READ! As if the only way to learn to weld is by doing it, WRONG! The fact of the matter is, you can be a welder for 25 years and still not be a professional if you never learned the proper methods and practices.
      that's some good info

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by doughboy415 View Post
        I've got my papers(certs) in stick(7018,8018 6011,6010,6013), mig,fluxcore and shortarc, I've been doing it now for 22 years, right now I'm unemployed, getting my unemployment, so its a vacation for me, but I got plenty of places to go when I'm ready. I suggest finding an older welder near you,they will teach/show you more than those manuals or some schools. When I got a new welder fresh out of school,usually I had to teach them the correct way to do things,most schools give you the basics not real life situations.
        this is true! I see so many guys come in right out of school and have no experiance! Those schools teach you a bunch of stuff you dont need to know! Your going to learn by doing it! Your much better off learning from a shop that has guys that have been doing it for a long time! If you buy a mig machine and want to weld body panels which are most of the time 16 gauge metal get a machine that you can hook gas to! a 225 amp single phase machine is ideal for body repair! PEACE

MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post
          this is a good read: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

but IMHO, the best thing to do is get a welder and start welding...it will really get your confidence up and get your hands to calm down.
          lol that is how i learned to weld. well tried to learn... i did my patch panels on my car my self. lol but at the same time i forgot the #1 rule in welding. " you never weld outside where the wind is blowing" lol

some of you guys said it here. the only way to learn welding is by practice.
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Working...
          X