Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to learn how to weld.

I don't know anything about welding.

I emailed the guy asking for more information about this welder. With the VERY limited information given on this piece of equipment, would this be something that would be good for me to learn on?

http://savannah.craigslist.org/tls/880563100.html

Originally posted by npor View Post
    I don't know anything about welding.

I emailed the guy asking for more information about this welder. With the VERY limited information given on this piece of equipment, would this be something that would be good for me to learn on?

http://savannah.craigslist.org/tls/880563100.html
    you could learn on it BUT i would go for an evening course in Welding at a local vocational college. there you would learn the proper ways of welding like oxy/acetalyne gas, TIG,MIG, ARC and gas brazing along with learning how to cut metal using oxy/acet and plasma. thats what i did years ago
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

you should check out working in a machine shop like wed3k did, they make good money I hear

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

TIG ftw!
        DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post
          TIG ftw!
          Indeed!

I need to learn, well I am going to, but will have to start with ancient arc first.
          wat?

Comment

I found a lincoln 225 amp welder for $125...but its the machine only. things like the shield , gloves and other accessories do not come with it.

is this expensive for just a machine?

Comment

this is the best for you,you can fluxcore(no gas) or mig with this setup. Has all the accesories,and the best part is price and loation sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a
              BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

Also, check out harborfreight.com they seem to have some economical welding supplies also. I just started a welding class at my UA Mechanical school to improve my stock. I found that plumbers with welding cert are always in demand and make darn good $.

You could check out some welding books from your local library and there is even a haynes manual for welding.

Also, you can google welding and look at some of the links as there is a lot of good info out there that is free
                "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
                "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
                ><((((º>

Comment

Arc for the win! Learned it from my boss and co-worker at my last job. Anywho, this got me thinking, I might like to get a welder myself when I attempt to fix the CB's body.

Also, grab some scrap metal and have fun practicing.
                  Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

I've got my papers(certs) in stick(7018,8018 6011,6010,6013), mig,fluxcore and shortarc, I've been doing it now for 22 years, right now I'm unemployed, getting my unemployment, so its a vacation for me, but I got plenty of places to go when I'm ready. I suggest finding an older welder near you,they will teach/show you more than those manuals or some schools. When I got a new welder fresh out of school,usually I had to teach them the correct way to do things,most schools give you the basics not real life situations.
                    BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

this is a good read: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

but IMHO, the best thing to do is get a welder and start welding...it will really get your confidence up and get your hands to calm down.

Originally posted by mig-welding.co.uk
                      We Learn…
                      10%…of What We Read
                      20%…of What We Hear
                      30%…of What We See
                      50%…of What We See and Hear
                      70%…of What We Discuss With Others
                      80%…of What We Experience Personally
                      95%…of What We Teach Others
                      –William Glasser
                      DEVOTE

Comment

You should go take a class at a community college.

The New-ish Ride
                        My old Ride
                        Hear my Vtak!!!
                        MK3 Member #3
                        I piss off people for fun.
                        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

tig ftw!!! i love tig welding...

Comment

Tig is nice but start out basic (MIG). Know the basics the easier to move on.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

want to learn welding too...whats the best kind of weld for body panels?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Working...
                              X