Getting Started Welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Started Welding?

okay i would like to purchase a welder very soon...ill be using it for making exhaust, other car needs and random stuff in the garage..mainly for exhaust.
    what kind of welder would you recommend?..materials needed?
    4 door pimpin'

Make it easy and just get a mig welder.
    Its just me

Comment

^^ Agreed.

Make sure you get a Miller and not a Lincoln. They don't change every part when they release a new model so sourcing parts for them as they age is not as big of a pita. I've had nothing but good luck since making the switch over 2 years ago.

If you plan to use the machine for thicker metals, you may want to step up to a 220v machine. It really just depends on how thick of metal you want to cover. I use a Millermatic 251 MIG daily and love it, It's labeled to cover from 22 gauge up to 1/2" but it's definately not limited to this once your skills improve.

If your home power is limited to 115v, then do what you have to. Learn more about root passes so you can still cover some of the thicker metals. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the metal hot via torch pre-weld either.

There will be a shitload of people to come in to say "doing it is the only way to learn it", but do yourself a favor and buy a few books on welding. If your too hard headed to learn proper methods and setup before approaching a machine, then gtfo and forget about welding at all. /This is aimed towards all who read, not just the OP.

Comment

thanks
        4 door pimpin'

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
          ^^ Agreed.

Make sure you get a Miller and not a Lincoln. They don't change every part when they release a new model so sourcing parts for them as they age is not as big of a pita. I've had nothing but good luck since making the switch over 2 years ago.

If you plan to use the machine for thicker metals, you may want to step up to a 220v machine. It really just depends on how thick of metal you want to cover. I use a Millermatic 251 MIG daily and love it, It's labeled to cover from 22 gauge up to 1/2" but it's definately not limited to this once your skills improve.

If your home power is limited to 115v, then do what you have to. Learn more about root passes so you can still cover some of the thicker metals. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the metal hot via torch pre-weld either.

There will be a shitload of people to come in to say "doing it is the only way to learn it", but do yourself a favor and buy a few books on welding. If your too hard headed to learn proper methods and setup before approaching a machine, then gtfo and forget about welding at all. /This is aimed towards all who read, not just the OP.
          Yea the 251 runs about $1500 with tank kit. This machine can also be made to weld aluminum and stainless with different kits.

Comment

Originally posted by hondadiablo View Post
            Yea the 251 runs about $1500 with tank kit. This machine can also be made to weld aluminum and stainless with different kits.
            Indeed, it's a really nice machine to have, I enjoy the crap out of it. I refrained form the aluminum and stainless kits.. I like my TIG machine better for those type of materials.

Comment

yesss..please please please read up on welding..shits pretty tough...i worked at xenocrons shop for a little and he let me mess with some scrap metal to weld...not as easy as it looks...but its easy to get some shitty ugly welds...good luck!

Comment

Aint nothing wrong with Lincoln welders. I'm not a proffesional welder, hell I dont even have gas. For little jobs, that any basic handyman wants to do a Lincoln welder will do just fine. Had my lil guy going on 10 years now. asides from the tip, and wire, never had to replace anything. But I will admit, for the bigger jobs, I would prefer a Miller, if you can afford it. You get what you pay for. Dont get an off-brand chinese cheapo.

Comment

I've been welding for 24 years, miller is alright,but I love lincoln,they are the best,and for what you want it for,you can get this one at lowes or even sears,

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=42420
                  BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

pssssht go miller. my buddy is a fab guy on prerunner trucks and buggies and thats all i hear him say and yeah read a book or two cuz whenever i got over there and messed around it looks soooo nasty n bubbly n i never knew u had to gap the 2 pipes n junk like that lol welding is fun!!! i go to him to put my exhaust all together only gotta pay for a pizza

and some gas when he runs out sometimes

.My Ride.

Comment

Reading a book isnt gonna teach you how to weld,you can try to teach your self,but most self taught backyard welders,, find a class at a local community college.I had 100s of guys that thought they were A1 welders come through my shop(old job) that I gave prehire weld test to,It was pathetic the bubble gum that I saw.you will mess up more jobs trying to learn on the fly,then will have to pay someone like me to actually do the job,and trust me,I talk MUCH S**T when someone when I have to go behind them and fix their f-ups

Comment

Originally posted by doughboy415 View Post
                        Reading a book isnt gonna teach you how to weld,you can try to teach your self,but most self taught backyard welders,, find a class at a local community college.I had 100s of guys that thought they were A1 welders come through my shop(old job) that I gave prehire weld test to,It was pathetic the bubble gum that I saw.you will mess up more jobs trying to learn on the fly,then will have to pay someone like me to actually do the job,and trust me,I talk MUCH S**T when someone when I have to go behind them and fix their f-ups

You right, Reading the book IS NOT going to teach you to weld. You don't read the book, pick up a gun and weld the perfect bead. Is this what you think I'm saying or something because it seems that way.

When I say read a book about the subject, it's so that proper procedure can be learned, that way they aren't staring down a loaded guns barrel so to speak.

I'm ICAR certified in Structural and Non-Structural GMAW welding. I follow VERY strict rules when welding on structural materials. How would I know of these rules if I hadn't read a book? I wouldn't. And It would cost me my certifications.

Anyone who says reading a book on it wont help, is a piss poor excuse for a welder and I would challenge any of them to a contest of skills. You can weld for 50 years and still be a shitty ass welder if you never learned the proper methods and procedures.

Welders like this can get someone seriously injured or dead in a heartbeat.

I'm ashamed for anyone who says reading a book isn't the first step in learning to weld. These are the people I would NOT let weld for me, not even plastic welding.

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
                          You right, Reading the book IS NOT going to teach you to weld. You don't read the book, pick up a gun and weld the perfect bead. Is this what you think I'm saying or something because it seems that way.

When I say read a book about the subject, it's so that proper procedure can be learned, that way they aren't staring down a loaded guns barrel so to speak.

I'm ICAR certified in Structural and Non-Structural GMAW welding. I follow VERY strict rules when welding on structural materials. How would I know of these rules if I hadn't read a book? I wouldn't. And It would cost me my certifications.

Anyone who says reading a book on it wont help, is a piss poor excuse for a welder and I would challenge any of them to a contest of skills. You can weld for 50 years and still be a shitty ass welder if you never learned the proper methods and procedures.

Welders like this can get someone seriously injured or dead in a heartbeat.

I'm ashamed for anyone who says reading a book isn't the first step in learning to weld. These are the people I would NOT let weld for me, not even plastic welding.
                          I was saying that reading a book alone wont teach you.

I cant beleive you just brought up that Baby azz welding,icar certified,( I-CAR

Formed by the collision industry in 1979, I-CAR is an international, not-for-profit training organization. All I-CAR activities and resources focus on helping the industry achieve a high level of technical training.
                          The I-CAR vision is that every person in the collision industry, current and future, has the necessary knowledge and skills relevant to their position to achieve a complete and safe repair.

I-CAR develops and delivers technical training programs to professionals in all areas of the collision industry. In addition, I-CAR provides a communication forum for anyone interested in proper collision repair. I-CAR's primary funding is derived from student tuition and services. This assures that I-CAR can remain unbiased in developing programs and services on an industry-wide basis.).In other words you do body repair welds

Welding flux core on thin azz sheet metal aint structural welding,Now when you get your real certs "AWS" in STAINLESS-STICK/GUN,STICK 7018-10018(FLAT OVERHEAD,VERTICLE AND HORIZONTAL)unlimited size/material thickness,Mig unlimited sizes/material thickness,fluxcore flat,horizontal and verticl unlimited size/material thickness. I've been welding on navy submarines,aircraft carriesrs,cell phone tower mono poles and everything else under the sun that has to be x-rayed,and have never failed.I might be up in ky this summer for some car shows,So dont run, I love putting younguns in their place.

this is real welding certs that I have
                          http://www.weldingcertification.com/certific.htm
                          Last edited by doughboy415; 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM.

Comment

If i were you what i would do is buy a Miller 140 portable.
                            Once you have learned the basics and are able to make an okay looking 1F weld(flat bead) you should be able to make yourself a lightweight cart to move it around and whatnot.
                            This MIG Welder i have named above would be perfect for beginners and would work fine for your needs. Its also cheap enough for most people with a stable income to afford. You can get one at Millerwelds.com.
                            Just my two cents lol.
                            STUFF FOR SALE!!!
                            1992 Accord Lx.
                            1992 Accord Ex.(SOLD)

Comment

One more note on the subject,alot of the those books dont tell you how to deal with real world situations,rust,wind,grease,water,things like that,thats where most new welders dont know what the hell to do.I went through the Newport News Shipbuilding welding school,where the best of the best come from,When you have done welding on Naval vessels and done welding in a nuclear power plant on base stands for reactors or done welding on crane booms or 1,000 foot conveyor systems,built water tanks used as crane test weights capable of holding 50,000lbs of water(cant remember the gallons),built all the rail components for ground zero that actually got the subway at the site up and running again,did all the rail components for the light rail system in pheonix Az from down town out to the stadium,did the system out in seattle,and even the new track plates for the panama canal just to name a few, then talk to me,not doing collision/bodywork on cars,hell I do that in my driveway or anyone elses who needs it.

Comment

Working...
                              X