Welder Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder Recommendations

post up the model welder you prefer, tell us about why you like it and what types of applications it can handle

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Hobart Handler, MIG, wire-feed, gas shielded, 240V.....

This thing is awesome, always feeds......never jambs. I've beaded 1/16" sheet metal without blowing through, and seam welded 1/4" plate steel with high current like butta.... Gas shielding = zero slag
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

For people just starting out with a lower budget, I recomend the clarke 130EN with gas because it rather affordable, dependable, runs on 110/115/120 volts, has yet to jam up, and easy to oparate.

The things I don't like about it are the lack of infinite heat control, hard to weld thicker metal with fluxcore(haven't tried gas yet), requires a little adaptor in order to hook up gas, parts are a bit harder to find than the really expensive machines.
      My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

People with a bigger budget... Miller welders... "Milermatic 250" Want a s2000 engine in your car..? buy, this and get to it! Serious we use it at work and it's Quality...
        Automotive Service and Fabrication In SOCAL!! https://www.facebook.com/JLRFAB

Comment

So lets say i wanna start welding. Money isnt really an issue, what would be best for a learner?

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06

Comment

Originally posted by OnE eYe GuY
            So lets say i wanna start welding. Money isnt really an issue, what would be best for a learner?
            it's not "what's best for a begainer" it's "what's best"....if money wasn't an issue, a miller wll outlast your car.

Comment

miller makes all kinds of welders and TVA uses a TON of them......everything from $300 mig welders good for exhaust/thin steel welding to all out "weld anything" welders the size of a small car.......the one's tva used were huge and could weld cast iron, aluminum, steel, etc........

the wire you use matters too......so do the tips.......the gas is USUALLY about the same.......even the cheap ones are adjustable enough to work well.....just maintain that bitch

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                miller makes all kinds of welders and TVA uses a TON of them......everything from $300 mig welders good for exhaust/thin steel welding to all out "weld anything" welders the size of a small car.......the one's tva used were huge and could weld cast iron, aluminum, steel, etc........

the wire you use matters too......so do the tips.......the gas is USUALLY about the same.......even the cheap ones are adjustable enough to work well.....just maintain that bitch
                ricky, you a newbie and posting here....interesting.....

..yea, ricky is right. you also need to look at what you have at your disposal and what you generally need welded.

Comment

Originally posted by Clueless
                  ricky, you a newbie and posting here....interesting.....

..yea, ricky is right. you also need to look at what you have at your disposal and what you generally need welded.

look at ricky's member date.....still been here since july 2003

Comment

Originally posted by rickyduckworth
                    look at ricky's member date.....still been here since july 2003
                    sounds good

Comment

steer me in the right direction. i wanna screw around with a roll cage, and harness mounts. what would be good for that? is there a small unit that i could throw in the passenger seat and bring with me?

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06

Comment

Originally posted by OnE eYe GuY
                        steer me in the right direction. i wanna screw around with a roll cage, and harness mounts. what would be good for that? is there a small unit that i could throw in the passenger seat and bring with me?
                        for most projects, the mig and tig welders are almost interchangable...although, unless I'm mistaken, autoX requires tig to be used for roll cages. Tig is a lot more expensive than mig welders, prettyier, and welds hotter(which makes it better for more exotic metals) and require two hands and a foot(on nice machines) at all times, plus it takes longer to weld than that of mig. Plus tig requires GAS, mig is sorta optional...
                        Last edited by Clueless; 03-24-2006, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by OnE eYe GuY:
                          You'll probably have to use a chromoly tubing, and TIG like what was just suggested. It's a lot easier to control the heat with the TIG, plus....because you are hand-feeding the filler rod (as apposed to MIG) you can get better penetration and complete more than one pass to ensure it's completely welded without adding material. Mild steel tubing just wont do for roll-cage applications......
                          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
                            You'll probably have to use a chromoly tubing, and TIG like what was just suggested. It's a lot easier to control the heat with the TIG, plus....because you are hand-feeding the filler rod (as apposed to MIG) you can get better penetration and complete more than one pass to ensure it's completely welded without adding material. Mild steel tubing just wont do for roll-cage applications......
                            That and you can't mig weld chromoly....

Comment

Working...
                            X