Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Aluminum

    how do u weld something to Aluminum, i tried soldering stuff but it rolls right off

    #2
    Something like what?
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

    Comment


      #3
      you have to tig weld aluminum. also, buy a stainless steel wire brush or stainless ateel wire wheel for a grinder and clean it before hand. Aluminum actually builds a protective skin which is pretty strong (which is the reason it doesnt rust.) this "skin" should come off before welding.

      CB7tuner.com Appearance Specialist - PM me with any bodywork questions

      Comment


        #4
        i wanted to make a bracket for my cai

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by '93accordse
          you have to tig weld aluminum. also, buy a stainless steel wire brush or stainless ateel wire wheel for a grinder and clean it before hand. Aluminum actually builds a protective skin which is pretty strong (which is the reason it doesnt rust.) this "skin" should come off before welding.
          Well, it does'nt rust because it's an alloy... And, when welding you have to have the two aluminum surfaces extremely clean, otherwise you will not get good penetration...... You cannot SOLDER aluminum to another metal, aluminum to aluminum yes. Try this stuff, they sell it on eBay too:

          www.alumiweld.com
          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by '93accordse
            you have to tig weld aluminum. also, buy a stainless steel wire brush or stainless ateel wire wheel for a grinder and clean it before hand. Aluminum actually builds a protective skin which is pretty strong (which is the reason it doesnt rust.) this "skin" should come off before welding.
            Quite contrary...Tig is prefered, but can be done with mig. This "skin" is actually aluminum oxide and it's not for protection purposes...the reason why you want to clean aluminum really good is because if you allow the "skin" (or aluminum oxide) to remain, you contaminate the weld and highly risk the welds breaking/cracking. To mig weld Aluminum, you'll need 100% pure Argon and aluminum wire...
            My official vouch thread!

            Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
              Well, it does'nt rust because it's an alloy... And, when welding you have to have the two aluminum surfaces extremely clean, otherwise you will not get good penetration...... You cannot SOLDER aluminum to another metal, aluminum to aluminum yes. Try this stuff, they sell it on eBay too:

              www.alumiweld.com
              Aluminum does rust....it's called Aluminum Oxide, it's the white smooth fine powdery stuff ontop of aluminum.
              My official vouch thread!

              Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Clueless
                Aluminum does rust....it's called Aluminum Oxide, it's the white smooth fine powdery stuff ontop of aluminum.
                yup you are right

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Clueless
                  Aluminum does rust....it's called Aluminum Oxide, it's the white smooth fine powdery stuff ontop of aluminum.
                  Okay, so it OXIDIZES..... 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
                  1992 Accord LX - SOLD

                  Comment


                    #10
                    actually, i knew it was called aluminum oxide and that it was aluminums form of rust but i broke it down into simplest terms. good call explaining it better. and i was not aware that you could mig aluminum, i only was ever taught to tig aluminum. interesting.

                    CB7tuner.com Appearance Specialist - PM me with any bodywork questions

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by '93accordse
                      actually, i knew it was called aluminum oxide and that it was aluminums form of rust but i broke it down into simplest terms. good call explaining it better. and i was not aware that you could mig aluminum, i only was ever taught to tig aluminum. interesting.
                      Ahh, I see.... simple=better ....yup, you can mig aluminum(unless I'm mistaken, aluminum has a lower melting point then steel) but I advise against trying to mig aluminum with steel wire(doesn't smell pretty and look nasty).
                      My official vouch thread!

                      Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

                      Comment


                        #12
                        No Clueless, you're not mistaken. Like you said, to MIG aluminum you need 100% Argon and some aluminum wire. And you'll want to turn the amperage and wire-speed down. Speaking of wire, it's best to use a handheld spool gun for aluminum, because it likes to kink up over long distances. ..

                        2

                        So what's the word on that AlumiWeld stuff? Has anybody here tried it? Does it actually hold up?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by DilutedImage
                          No Clueless, you're not mistaken. Like you said, to MIG aluminum you need 100% Argon and some aluminum wire. And you'll want to turn the amperage and wire-speed down. Speaking of wire, it's best to use a handheld spool gun for aluminum, because it likes to kink up over long distances. ..

                          2

                          So what's the word on that AlumiWeld stuff? Has anybody here tried it? Does it actually hold up?
                          I think I saw some at the truck show down south....seems like solder, but hold aluminum together. Obviously, if this stuff really does work, you probbly can't do thick pieces of aluminum.....
                          My official vouch thread!

                          Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

                          Comment


                            #14
                            WHat about braizing? Anyone else do this?
                            I braized my first oil return fitting onto my oil pan fitting using copper stick and fitting! Would aluminum be the same ( ie aluminum intake to aluminum bracket)

                            It is cheap other than the tanks and gas lol!

                            WaC!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think it's possible, but the heat range might be too much for the aluminum and liquidify it almost instantently(sp?)
                              My official vouch thread!

                              Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X