A good first welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good first welder

I want to get started welding some pieces but I don't know what I should start with. Stick or wirefeed? Would 110v be enough to weld through something as big as exhaust pieces? The things I see myself welding at first are probably exhaust hangers, pipes, and brackets. Is is possible to weld pipes with a stick welder? thanks..

hold on to your butts

fluxcore ftw.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
      its gonna be easier to learn with a wirefeed, although i think a lot of exhaust shops use a stick welder, but theres no reason to not use a wirefeed, just make sure you pick up something at least 110v if you want to move up and so chassis welding you'll need to pick up a 220v, but you should be good for doing exhaust hangers and the like with a 110. of the welders i've used i think the lincoln are the easiest to use and give the best consistancy
      Yup, this is all good info.... From my experience Lincoln/Miller/Hobart are all good welders. Look for a 110v or 220v unit with gas shielding. (argon/CO2 for steel) This will GREATLY reduce slag and splattering, giving a much cleaner,stronger, and asthetically please finish.
      1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
        Yup, this is all good info.... From my experience Lincoln/Miller/Hobart are all good welders.
        How is craftsman? They are askin 300 with a bottle and regulator.

hold on to your butts

Comment

I've heard okay things......lifetime warranty right? lol
          1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

i bought one locally from a guy on craigslist for 40, it was one from harbor frieght, its 110 volts mig welder, its pretty good of course it is fluxcore, but i will guy a miller with gas later on down there road, but this is one is pretty good
            Members Ride

Comment

Working...
            X