What welder do I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What welder do I use?

Okay, so I want to buy a welder, but don't know which to buy.

I found a stick arc welder for $100 and want to know if this is good for my intended uses.

I intend to fabricate engine mounts, strut bars, etc. So the welds have to hold up to the abuse.

From what I searched, MIgG seems to be the best. I am on a budget, so what would be best for someone on a budget?

Any help on this topic would be appreciated.
    Last edited by djcaz_aom; 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

you can get a mig for about the same price, is just going to be flux welder, i suggest you save up for a mig to start out with and make sure it has a gas feature, meaning that you can add gas to it,

you welds will come up cleaner with a mig with gas, or maybe even just wait for a tig
    Members Ride

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding
      http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1600248
      http://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/53

those are some links that helped me

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

you won't get a good welder for $100. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be saving up for a MIG then.

Comment

Would this be a good welder?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91811

Comment

mig welder is stronger
              sold to the highest bidding stanger i miss this bitch
              the 93 ex to come soon

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyhitter92
                mig welder is stronger
                TIG is strongest

dont cheap out on a welder. save at least a few hundred dollars to get a decent one. if you can afford it, get a miller tig/stick. thats what i have and its fully portable. i can even put the welder and argon in my trunk and bring it to the track with me

Comment

a mig welder is pretty much for exhaust onlu. no motor mount shit or anything of heavy fabrication...
                  ]

Comment

bring this thread back for the dead. s
                    so what welder should i use for the rear replacement panels????
                    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Are you talking about the quarter panel? I would go tig if you can afford it since the weld is cleaner. The mig welder can be used but I think you would need to grind down the welds a bit depending on experience of the person. Some people can make it look clean some make it look like complete ass.

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Tig is the only welder you should use for what you intend to do. Tig penetrates the metal much farther and is way cleaner. With a mig the welds are nasty and have less penetration/strength. The only time I bring out the mig welder is when I need to do an exaust or somthin for a freind but for myself its only tig. If you want to do generaly cruddy stuff to slap together real quick then go mig. If you want a professional look and quality save up for a tig. Also then you can do aluminum.

Edit, and I was talkin about motor mounts an stuff not just the quarterpanal.lol

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB
                          Tig penetrates the metal much farther and is way cleaner. With a mig the welds are nasty and have less penetration/strength.
                          Where did you get this information? Did you get it from professionals, or is it just from your own experience? MIG can produce extremely strong welds, and typically can penetrate farther than TIG. The welds can look very clean with a little practice. TIG welding is typically used when precision is a factor. It's usually used for light-duty applications. MIG is used in light- to medium-duty welding when speed is important. ARC welding is reserved for the heavy-duty stuff.

I've got a 220V wire feed gas MIG machine that will weld up to ½" steel, and up to about 7/8" with preheating. A MIG machine will weld sheet metal, but it's typically not pretty, again unless the machine is in the hands of an experienced pro.

TIG is the most common process for welding sheet metal. The material is very thin, and it's hard to get a decent weld with a MIG machine without burning out the surrounding material. MIG is a lot faster than TIG, however, and A LOT less expensive. MIG is also easier to learn. If you're not an experienced welder, and you need to have sheet metal panels welded, do yourself a favor and leave it to a professional. It's cheaper to have them do it the first time than to have them repair something damaged by inexperience.
                          ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                          '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                          Short ram intake
                          Tenrai Himoto catback
                          Smashed front end
                          Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

yeah but professionals charge more than the car is worth.

all i want from them is to weld the rear panels together and that is it. i'll do the rest.

some of the shops that i talked in there want to do the whole job them selfs.

i just wish someone can do a DIY on welding the quarter panels on the cb7. that would the second best DIY after the turbo DIY thread. lol
                            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB
                              Tig is the only welder you should use for what you intend to do. Tig penetrates the metal much farther and is way cleaner. With a mig the welds are nasty and have less penetration/strength. The only time I bring out the mig welder is when I need to do an exaust or somthin for a freind but for myself its only tig. If you want to do generaly cruddy stuff to slap together real quick then go mig. If you want a professional look and quality save up for a tig. Also then you can do aluminum.

Edit, and I was talkin about motor mounts an stuff not just the quarterpanal.lol
                              i'm going to have to agree with camurai on this one, i have a mig 110v lincoln pro-mig 150, and with gas on it i can lay down a weld like a stack of dimes. true, mig welding isn't for everything, but its also not just for exhaust. i have welded in patch panels shaved door hanles, side mouldings, etc. with my mig. even welded in my tranny mount bracket when i did my 5 speed swap, and i promise you that bracket is never coming off, unless i cut it off.
                              Last edited by sohc em; 12-05-2007, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X