Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Excellent work on the headlamps and the door re-trim! I like the small hint of color in the rope, a black rope may look sleeker and less decorative.

"But the fabric on the bottom is grey and ... 90s. I haven't made up my mind what exactly needs to change to make this look more complete. I'll think on it. I wonder if a pro could do better as to replace the grey part of the full panel. black leather....or suede. Would need some unique tools."

I think you are talking about the carpet on the lower part of the doors. This isn't as hard as it may seem, although it does take a little bit of time.

Materials:
    - Fabric/Suede/Vinyl/Leather
    - 4mm/6mm upholstery foam (depending how plush you want the final material to be)
    - Illustration Board (very sturdy, moisture resistant white paper board (it is not poster board) that can be acquired from an art supply store)
    - Sharp cutting utensil
    - heavy duty spray adhesive
    - fabric glue ( I prefer Fabri-Tac)
    - sandpaper or scouring pad

For the front doors it is pretty straight forward, I replaced my carpet with microfiber suede probably a decade ago. You have to remove the carpet from the map pocket and remove the old glue residue. Use the carpet to make a template for the shape. Transfer this shape to the upholstery foam. The material that you plan to wrap needs to be laminated to this upholstery foam to give it volume to fill the depth that the carpet previously had to fill in the void below the hard plastic of the map pocket bezel. Once the new fabric/foam is mated and dry, spray adhesive the material to the map pocket. Trim the upper part so that just enough is left to tuck under the map pocket bezel and use a clean plastic putty knife or other such tool to tuck the fabric under the bezel of the map pocket. For the rest you will have to hand wrap and use fabric glue to adhere the fabric to the back of the map pocket. The curved area will have to have "pie cuts" made to wrap cleanly.

The rear doors are a similar story. Remove the old carpet and remove any glue residue from the door. Use the carpet as a template. Using illustration board (NOT CARDBOARD) transfer the template to the foam and cut out the shape. I think I made this about 2mm smaller all the way around so that it fit properly when I was done. Laminate the fabric and foam using adhesive. Glue the fabric/foam to the illustration board. Wrap and glue the excess fabric to the back side of the illustration board. Glue the new panel onto the door. Voila! Done.

I did not do a great job documenting this originally. But here is the old rear door part that I made out of cardboard as example of what I did and why you should not use cardboard! The cardboard does not hold its shape very well and isn't very durable overall. Also, this suede was not UV stable which caused it to turn purple in about one summer. The grey material above is the foam I used when I redid this part. When I redid these, I used an automotive grade material that even a decade later is still black.

Cyborg is not incorrect, suede does tend to be susceptible to oil and hand creams that can make it age poorly. That typically only occurs on steering wheels and shift knobs though, door bolsters, headliners and such tend to not suffer from this. My doors are a decade old and the suede has held up pretty well. Maybe I will make a small DIY on this process. I would have to take new images though. Hmm...

Leave a comment:

• CyborgGT
    replied
    Oh, is the blue more vivid in person? At least from the photo, I was saying it didn't look bad.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Ya, i hear ya. The more I look at it the more i don't like it. If I could get black and grey rope to match the seats it would work. But this is too much... Will probably just go with black.

Leave a comment:

• CyborgGT
    replied
    I wasn't sure about the tracer stripe in your edging, but it actually kinda goes with the front seats! I dig it.

You mentioned suede... are you aware that that material (and the synthetic version, Alcantara) gets all matted and gross over time from the oils in your skin? Looks great, but you'd be replacing it much sooner if it's not obsessively maintained. I think velvet is much the same.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Ya, super easy mod. If I have any issues with it coming out I'll glue it in. Passenger door had a small spot coming unstuck. No issues. tape off the area and you only spray the foam part of the door. Don't spray directly on the fabric. And a good roller helps. You can do by hand, but it's just as good I find.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Just used the stuff that was at the place where i got the fabric. (fabric mart etc.). I'm Ok with the rope color I guess.... but i will change it down the road. Maybe to just black.

So same story with the other rear door.

This time I'm going with a custom cut fitment thing. So just stuffing the fabric in and cutting 1/8" from the "line".

No worries about the wrinkles, will work them out

The join is above the red light.

Fini!!

But oh I do wish I had a set of real leather panels. The ebay black handle is not the color black of the arm rest. The black fabric is nice though. But the fabric on the bottom is grey and ... 90s. I haven't made up my mind what exactly needs to change to make this look more complete. I'll think on it. I wonder if a pro could do better as to replace the grey part of the full panel. black leather....or suede. Would need some unique tools.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpys93
    replied
    What adhesive did you use to adhere the fabric? Looks great by the way and I think like mentioned above a thinner rope would take a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    I'm still baffled and deeply disturbed how we came to such an idocracy world where folks with 3' lifted new jeeps are allowed to run LED lights in all 4 lights. This fuck others attitude use to just be Tommy and his civic and now we have manufactures selling it to the 10% assholes out there who don't care. Uggg... totally ruined my night driving which I use to enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Oh Ya, Suicide Kings should of been 80% more Dennis doing bad ass things (like when he beat the abusive old fella with a toaster) and 80% less of the 4 guys who were doing their thing.

Back to the door. Used this for the cutting. Still tricky to do. Next time I think I'm simply going to use a white chalk to mark 1/8" outside the outer limit and cut with scissors.

I could make it perfect but not trying to. That's the point of the rope. (thanks to whoever I stole this idea from on here. I think it may have been grasshopper?? )

Oh ya. The lights all done. The glass is perfect, but the chrome has seen better days. Looks presentable though.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    This retrim turned out really nice. Make sure that the blade you use is surgically sharp to prevent snagging the threads in the fabric.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    So I decided to go with this stuff. Should look great!
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004HSAAP6?...hk_typ_imgToDp

And started to fix the door panels too. The back passenger panel fabric never really "took". And it's because it was the one door where I kept the .... "skin" of the door on. Pics.... will make sense.

Booooo

If you ever do this, be careful when peeling in the corners. And you want to keep the foam layer.

Still got fabric, let's do it all better than last time.

Iron it out....

the ripple is a hole. Still have to make cuts for holes. use a sharp blade.

I'll leave it like this until I get the rope. & with the rope I'm thinking I'll have to use pins/needles to hold in the corners. I'd hate to use glue, and it comes undone after a while. Need a hidden secure way of getting key points.
    After 24 hours I'll use a really sharp knife and cut on the outside of the cardboard while pushing down on the cardboard.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    I like the idea here. 1/4” or 1/8” cord in a green or teal that emulates the exterior might be just enough color to be appreciated but also not be obnoxious. You might also be able to find a black ballistic nylon cord that would work. The ballistic nylon would have a contrasting sheen/gloss from the rest of the door but still add visual interest.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Ya i totally agree. Red, white, green, not going to work with my car. Just doesn't match anything. Maybe a dark blue / navy blue will do here.

Leave a comment:

• CyborgGT
    replied
    To be honest, I think any contrasting color is going to look a bit goofy (or maybe it's just the 1/4" thickness?). Personally, I'd stick with the same color as the inner material; or a slightly darker shade of that same color.

You've got me thinking about how I'm going to tackle my door panels now. I found this vinyl piping, and I'm wondering if the sewable 'fin' can be cut from the round edge itself to make the whole strip more malleable, and just glue it in place. Looks like they've got vinyl to match all our OEM colors! https://www.ebay.com/itm/28307017855...YAAOSwSP9bVkHV

I'm finding some nice stitched leather material as well for the large panel pieces; you can get real classy with this, haha.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Ya. 1/4" rope is too much for me. And the color.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X