No announcement yet.

Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya, i'm kind of pissed that these wheels are not working. Looking at these pics its not the rubber that's too wide its the 35 offset of the rim that doesn't work. So...... note to self. Don't get 35 offset, stay with a 38 to 45 offset.

Thinking of it now i haven't had these rims and tires on the highway. Hitting "roller coaster" bumps I think is going to shred these tires, so I think the tires and rims have to come off

Comment

Do you have a good machine shop around you? Maybe someone can adjust your offset for you on a mill. All they should have to do is remove some meat on the mating surface of the rim and then recut the spacer pocket.

I'm running 38 offset with 7" wide rims and they are less than 1/4" from the tire sidewall when tucked on bumps, they just barely cleared my rear fenders.
      Last edited by wildBill83; 09-11-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Just add some flares...

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It almost looks like you have positive camber in the first couple pics. Do you know your alignment specs? Do you have enough room to tuck them in a bit?

Actually, I just re-read your post and going with 205's will not only fit better but also look racier.
          Last edited by Lucien; 09-11-2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
            Do you have a good machine shop around you? Maybe someone can adjust your offset for you on a mill. All they should have to do is remove some meat on the mating surface of the rim and then recut the spacer pocket.

I'm running 38 offset with 7" wide rims and they are less than 1/4" from the tire sidewall when tucked on bumps, they just barely cleared my rear fenders.

Hmmm.... I can look into it, but I'm not aware of any. But you are absolutely correct. Newbie mistake and although I did tons of research it was a lesson learned. I needed a +38 - +45 offset to make these rims work with my setup. One simply cannot "tuck" with a +35 offset. And these are also a 7" rim.

Originally posted by H311RA151N
            That's awesome, I was hoping they were of good quality as they are more affordable that say a Spearco.

I honestly didn't believe the black intercooler hype. But, as it turns out it is fact. It surprised me to say the least.
            Ya. ... when I seen that test they did on MCM I was impressed!

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Just add some flares...
            haha, I wish. Even rolling is out of the question in the rear for me as I had a body shop fix the cancer long ago and they used body fill. I eventually want a shop to replace both rear fenders and roll 4 corners but they quoted me at $1600 per side for that job.

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
            It almost looks like you have positive camber in the first couple pics. Do you know your alignment specs? Do you have enough room to tuck them in a bit?

Actually, I just re-read your post and going with 205's will not only fit better but also look racier.
            Good eye! And yes I do have positive camber. When going from the worn out 205/40/17 (+45 offset) rims to the 215/45/17 (+35) rims it created some positive camber in the front.

So....... I'm left in a sticky situation and I'm not sure what to do. I have an alignment appointment tomorrow morning for the car as the shop that did the alignment didn't torque the front camber to spec and one came loose on me.

1. Keep the rims and tires and start sanding/grinding to make room for the wheels. + some negative camber to try and tuck the wheel (or find someone to grind down the wheels

2. Sell the rims and put my old rims back on. <<<--- really not possible as one rim has slow leak and the tires are not simply too old (too many dents = unbalanced), have worm camber wear on the tires (bald on the inside), but are useable.

I'm pretty pissed still that the new tires and rims don't work. If I had the $$$ I'd simply drop the car off at the body shop tomorrow and tell them:
            1. Replace both rear fenders with metal ones.
            2. Roll all fenders and make these wheels tuck better.
            3. Cut a hole in the top of the front fenders so the upper control arm doesn't hit

Right now my fear is driving to the alignment shop and tearing up the new tires. Tonight I'm going to start grinding the rear fenders to make room.

Comment

Here's the thing; how attached are you to these new wheels? I think they look great, but you seem iffy about them and if you're not so enamored with them, why fight to make them fit?

I'd suggest adding some negative camber front and back to reduce tire wear. List these wheels for trade for other wheels you like in the proper offset, along with your old wheels to make some extra money. If all goes well, you'll have a new set of better fitting wheels and some extra cash to put towards your rear quarter panels.

Also, if the neg camber from the alignment isn't sufficient to stop the tire rub, you could look into local used tire shops. Pick up some 205/45's for ~$100 to run on these wheels in the meantime.

So, i'd do the minimal amount of work to make these wheels fit until you can find a set of wheels you love and trade or sell these off to get them.

Comment

Here's the thing; how attached are you to these new wheels? I think they look great, but you seem iffy about them and if you're not so enamored with them, why fight to make them fit?

I'd suggest adding some negative camber front and back to reduce tire wear. List these wheels for trade for other wheels you like in the proper offset, along with your old wheels to make some extra money. If all goes well, you'll have a new set of better fitting wheels and some extra cash to put towards your rear quarter panels.

Also, if the neg camber from the alignment isn't sufficient to stop the tire rub, you could look into local used tire shops. Pick up some 205/45's for ~$100 to run on these wheels in the meantime.

So, i'd do the minimal amount of work to make these wheels fit until you can find a set of wheels you love and trade or sell these off to get them.
                And after thinking about this all day, I couldn't of said it better myself!
                You are right on the money with what you said! And until I can get fenders rolled and all the extra stuff needed for such rims, these will most likely have to go.

Thanks, I needed to hear someone say that!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  And after thinking about this all day, I couldn't of said it better myself!
                  You are right on the money with what you said! And until I can get fenders rolled and all the extra stuff needed for such rims, these will most likely have to go.

Thanks, I needed to hear someone say that!

Can't wait to see your build progress even more, man. Great job so far. I'm gearing up to make my own MRT once i get some more pics taken of the stuff i've done so far.

Comment

Can't wait to see your build progress even more, man. Great job so far. I'm gearing up to make my own MRT once i get some more pics taken of the stuff i've done so far.
                    Thanks man Stay tuned there's more to come (as long as the weather stays warm).

And FYI folks. I put the rims up for sale today

Comment

Slap a vibrant streetpower muffler on that bitch!

Comment

I have seen a couple of CBs with even crazier wheel specs stuff their fenders. You should be able to make that look good and not have to deal with the "hellaflush" and "stance" problems.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by JDMef9 View Post
                          Slap a vibrant streetpower muffler on that bitch!
                          Never heard of it. Using a MagnaFlow muffler now. Got a link?

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          I have seen a couple of CBs with even crazier wheel specs stuff their fenders. You should be able to make that look good and not have to deal with the "hellaflush" and "stance" problems.
                          Ya. Well truth be told if you run a +35 offset or less you are running negative camber if you want to tuck with OEM fenders. 38 may work.

Comment

If you are low enough to tuck tire, then yeah you'll be cambered out. Are you not willing to do any camber? (1-2 degrees) With a bit of wheel gap may save your tires from getting thrashed.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I have no camber in the back and 1* in the front. My tires have been holding up well and 1 degree of camber is still in factory spec (be it on the low side). I'm due for my 3rd tire rotation, speaking of.
                              Last edited by wildBill83; 09-13-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Tonight driving the car I hit boost cut off and something jarred loose, she sounds like a sick subaru haha. But i'm heading out west for two weeks so until then

Comment

Working...
                                X