Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Tank:
    135 PSI max
    4.8CFM @ 40PSI
    3.5CFM @ 90PSI

Impact Gun:
    420ft-lb torque
    needs 3.7 SCFM @ 90PSI

Ya, I think I'm going to buy an electric impact to see if it will do the job. 380ft-lbs tq.

I am going to torch it next time but debating if I should buy a bigger breaker bar or go with a better electric impact gun.
    a bigger breaker bar is way cheaper, and will take any torque you put on it (cheater bar pipe extension). I feel the impact would ultimately be futile if those really are stuck...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      a bigger breaker bar is way cheaper, and will take any torque you put on it (cheater bar pipe extension). I feel the impact would ultimately be futile if those really are stuck...
      I'm going with your advice cp[mike]. I will buy a 3/4" breaker bar with a new 36mm 3/4" socket and use the pipe and see what happens. I'll also use heat.

Oooo, this will be fun

Comment

Fire solve all problems!
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

+ heat + luck = fingers crossed

Comment

well dam!!

5min of propane torch + 3/4" breaker bar + 4' 2" pipe + all my weight or pulling on it and no go I even extended the breaker bar with the pipe by 2 feet. That breaker bar is rated for 800ft-lbs tq. and it was bending.....

Also tried 5min of heat then impact gun.
            Also tried hitting on the nut edges with hammer to shake things loose.

AND THAT NUT DIDN'T MOVE 1mm !!! The broken 1/2" breaker bar I was using in the studs to hold the wheel from turning has a bend in it now.

I think I need to call defeat on this one.....

Comment

Are you doing all of this torquing with the wheel/tire on the car and the cars weight is on the ground? I always do this when they're stubborn and I always go down with the bar, lifting up only unweights that corner which is not what you want. Also e brake on and in gear too. Any deflection is robbing your torque!

Comment

Did you try jumping/bouncing on it a bit? That usually works until something breaks.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I would do it with the car on the ground.

Go to your local Dairy Queen and find the fattest Sum Bitch you can find to bounce on that bar. Just promise him or her 5 Blizzards of the month.

Come here piggy piggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                    Are you doing all of this torquing with the wheel/tire on the car and the cars weight is on the ground? I always do this when they're stubborn and I always go down with the bar, lifting up only unweights that corner which is not what you want. Also e brake on and in gear too. Any deflection is robbing your torque!
                    I am doing it with the car on four jack stands and standing on the bar or pulling down on the bar. The wheel isn't going anywhere, no deflection.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                    Did you try jumping/bouncing on it a bit? That usually works until something breaks.
                    I bounced until the socket came off which is starting to round the corners of the nut, so i stopped that.

Originally posted by tishock View Post
                    I would do it with the car on the ground.

Go to your local Dairy Queen and find the fattest Sum Bitch you can find to bounce on that bar. Just promise him or her 5 Blizzards of the month.

Come here piggy piggy.
                    LoL...

Really I think bouncing on the bar isn't going to help here since I had a 4' 2" steel bar on the breaker bar and I was standing on this bouncing after torching the bolt. The breaker bar was bending which is rated for 800...

So........ if I can borrow a impact gun I'll try this gain but otherwise I'm not sure what else I can do here....

Comment

Also, you want to use a scissor jack, jack stand or regular jack under the head of the breaker bar. This will help keep the socket on the nut and not loose torque while its fighting with the edge of the nut and eventually stripping it.

Last edited by Tishock; 12-05-2014, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Did you straighten out the dented portion on the ridge of the nut?
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I am doing it with the car on four jack stands and standing on the bar or pulling down on the bar. The wheel isn't going anywhere, no deflection.
                          You'd be surprised - as you bounce, the breaker bar fighting against the other bar (that you had between the studs) will actually lift the suspension up and deflect all the valuable torque. At this point, you really should have the wheel on the ground, with somebody standing on the brakes, with a jackstand under the head of the bar as pictured above. The tool arrangement needs to be absolutely RIGID to be able to transfer all of the torque youre applying to the head in one blast without ANY deflection in any other direction. It also negates the possibility of stripping it from the socket slipping off - because if that is happening, it is clear the tool is being worked at a weird angle. I also usually ask a friend or family member to sit on the ground nearby and push their heel against the back of the head of the breaker bar - holding it onto the nut - while i jumped on the extension pipe.

You also want to deliver the torque in max-blast Impacts. Slow, elastic stretching of pulling slowly actually minimizes torque. Hit it HARD, quickly, and youll hear a huge crack sound of the nut finally letting go.

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                          Did you straighten out the dented portion on the ridge of the nut?
                          Yeah, I also asked if the nut had been "un-staked" yet or not. Hard to tell from the picture.
                          Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-05-2014, 09:58 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Funny, I knew someone who used the trick above and backed up his truck with a tow hitch next to the car over the breaker bar. Then the truck was jacked up and the bar re-positioned under the tow hitch. Finally, he released the jack and let the truck drop on the bar. It actually worked for him.

I've also seen videos on YouTube of people doing something similar as above and then revving the engine. Using the engines power to break it loose.

Last edited by Tishock; 12-05-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

So was using the scissor jack and did have the gf holding her heel to the unit. But she didn't feel safe when I was bouncing on it so she left, this is when the socket slipped off. Only happened twice. I may try putting the car in the ground but after this I'mjust going to cut the bolt off iI think. Actually going tomorrow morning goingto see if I can rent a 500+ ft.lbs torque gun.

Comment

Actually going tomorrow morning goingto see if I can rent a 500+ ft.lbs torque gun.
                                That's a nice 3/4" bar, too bad it's not working. I hope you are able to rent that gun and don't have to cut the nut off. Is the gun a corded electric or air?
                                *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                                X