No announcement yet.

Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I've learned so far...make sure your welding area is clean. And try to be as comfortable as possible.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

So what does the "duty cycle" refer to in a MIG Welding unit? My mind can't seem to comprehend this. Is it the amount of time you can lay one bead without stopping?

Comment

This is the best way I have found it described.

Duty cycle is a welding equipment specification which defines the number of minutes, within a 10 minute period, during which a given welder can safely produce a particular welding current.

For example, a 150 amp. welder with a 30% duty cycle must be "rested" for at least 7 minutes after 3 minutes of continuous welding. (When you are paying an employee for welding, anything less than 100% duty wastes money.)
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Interesting. So this unit (which some guy is selling online) has a 20% duty cycle at 75amps (highest setting). So if I had to weld something that needed 1min straight bead, then it has to rest for 12 seconds. OR if I wanted to use it for 15min (different welds) it has to rest for 3min +.

Makes sense but hard to do the math in your head.

Also, would any not recommend buying a 2nd hand unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Interesting. So this unit (which some guy is selling online) has a 20% duty cycle at 75amps (highest setting). So if I had to weld something that needed 1min straight bead, then it has to rest for 12 seconds. OR if I wanted to use it for 15min (different welds) it has to rest for 3min +.

Makes sense but hard to do the math in your head.

Also, would any not recommend buying a 2nd hand unit?
            Basically with a 20% duty cycle if you welded for 1 minute straight you would have to let it rest for 4 minutes. Or 2 minutes of welding in a 10 minute period. Basically the duty % is how many minutes of welding you get in a 10 minute period. 100% duty means the welder never has to rest. Anything lower and you need to give it breaks periodically.

Comment

I would recommend buying a second hand welder if and only if it is a transformer based unit. Those are pretty much indestructible but they are larger than their "inverter" cousins. So make sure it's heavy and you should be fine.

The duty cycle for that unit is 2 minutes on, 8 minutes rest.
              Duty cycle = (Time On/Time off)*100

20% of 10 minutes is 2 minutes.
              2 minute on cycle plus an 8 minute off cycle equals a complete 10 minute cycle.
              All other times are proportionate. A 1 minute on cycle would need a 4 minute rest. All that is mathematically derived. In the real world, it changes.

Edit: Rilas beat me to it

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Was all excited to remove 3rd brake light, but just realized the tint in the back window went around it. Booooooo , lol. Oh well, we'll fabric this thing anyways and the speakers too.

And the more you do the easier and better you become at it.

Last edited by Raf99; 08-05-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Got a lot done on the fabric for the doors etc. Turned out good.

Took this photo to show how the doors are assembled. They are the fiber wood, then the foam is put down, then the outside layer (plastic) and then the carpet is put on over top of that. So for the front doors I cut the carpet and plastic out, leaving the foam to glue to. For the rear doors I left the plastic there. But it took forever to get all the bits of rug off the door.

3rd brake light piece
                  Last edited by Raf99; 08-05-2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

looks good

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord View Post
                      looks good
                      thanks. all turned out really well. Just have to finish some wiring and interior will be done.

Comment

thanks. all turned out really well. Just have to finish some wiring and interior will be done.

looks really good all together

Comment

The end result turned out great. Getting the fabric off the vinyl can be a real pain in the ass for sure. I had to do it on my black coupe door panels to fit the leather inserts into. Even after letting it soak for hours multiple different times, it was still a pain. Anyway it looks great. What is the material you used?

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                            The end result turned out great. Getting the fabric off the vinyl can be a real pain in the ass for sure. I had to do it on my black coupe door panels to fit the leather inserts into. Even after letting it soak for hours multiple different times, it was still a pain. Anyway it looks great. What is the material you used?
                            Thanks man. I just went to a fabric store and picked out my favorite. This fabric I believe is a vinyl type fabric.

Comment

Good news today. Got that JDM power folding mirror switch off ebay yesterday in the mail. I had wired up the wires with the mirrors and the OEM switch (non-folding mirrors) and got that function working. So I was happy when I simply plugged in the new switch and everything worked! The folding and all mirror functions. So now all I have to do is install everything

Comment

Good news today. Got that JDM power folding mirror switch off ebay yesterday in the mail. I had wired up the wires with the mirrors and the OEM switch (non-folding mirrors) and got that function working. So I was happy when I simply plugged in the new switch and everything worked! The folding and all mirror functions. So now all I have to do is install everything
                                Now go park next to an S-class and fold your mirrors too. Baws.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X