Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
    I was thinking of Sally the other night while on my mountain drive with Lola. I'm glad that you got her all straightened out. She deserves to be out of the garage, and roaming the streets.
    Agreed! I take her out every night now! Wow, the other night I had her sliding around a corner on all 4 tires! This is a first for me. It was scary and exciting all at once. Let me explain....

There's a sharp bending corner I love to drive, it is here. Going into the corner in 3rd I am off the gas or throttle it, and once past the half way point I'm on the gas and usually the tires start spinning at the top of 3rd and the front end of the car slides out a bit just as the corner is ending (controlling the slide with the gas pedal), and pow! into 4th and we are off.

This time I gave it gas too early in the corner and the front started to slide out, so i let off. When i let off the back end came around and the whole car (all 4 tires) were sliding around the corner. For a second I was thinking "wow, this is what a rear/4whd feels like!". It was semi-controlled but still super fun. Made me want to practice this on a race track (not that we have these). It was a nice feeling!

The other nice feelings are when the bass from a song has the same tone/sound/reverberation as the exhaust when you are off the gas coming down a hill. And then you sing/hum along with them both.

Other nice feelings = cruising around with the windows down and your arm out the window.

Comment

Haha! I love it Raf! Although I actually have done the same sort of power slide as that. Granted I can't break loose my tires from power... yet. I've done it, in the mountain passes, on some insane curves. Get the front to brake loose then the rear end can start to as well. It's interesting to have all 4 of the tires screaming at you at the same time, yet it's all under control, and an exhilarating feeling.

I wish we had a race track around here. I found out we actually have a drag strip with NHRA sponsorship within an hour and a half. But no road tracks. Hell even the closest SCCA events to me are in Helena, almost 2 hours one way.

To celebrate the 4th of July, me and the GF went on a drive around Montana. We started at home, here in Missoula to Great Falls. Stopped and had lunch and showed her some of the city. Then onto Helena, which we just drove through, from Helena we headed home. Once we hit I-90 on the way to Missoula, I let Lola stretch her legs. Pulled over 70 miles at 115mph all the way home on the interstate. It probably would have been a bit quicker but the stupid JDM ECU has a speed limiter at 120mph. I know, I know about the speed but it rarely ever happens, let alone the GF condoning it to happen with her in the car. But she felt safe the whole time. Lola rides so fantastic at those speeds its kind of unreal. It was a touch over 400 miles and we did it in around 6.5 hours. Then had a BBQ with her parents, makes for a good day. I totally understand, driving with the right song on as well, it just enhances the experience of the drive so much more.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Haha! I love it Raf! Although I actually have done the same sort of power slide as that. Granted I can't break loose my tires from power... yet. I've done it, in the mountain passes, on some insane curves. Get the front to brake loose then the rear end can start to as well. It's interesting to have all 4 of the tires screaming at you at the same time, yet it's all under control, and an exhilarating feeling.

I wish we had a race track around here. I found out we actually have a drag strip with NHRA sponsorship within an hour and a half. But no road tracks. Hell even the closest SCCA events to me are in Helena, almost 2 hours one way.

To celebrate the 4th of July, me and the GF went on a drive around Montana. We started at home, here in Missoula to Great Falls. Stopped and had lunch and showed her some of the city. Then onto Helena, which we just drove through, from Helena we headed home. Once we hit I-90 on the way to Missoula, I let Lola stretch her legs. Pulled over 70 miles at 115mph all the way home on the interstate. It probably would have been a bit quicker but the stupid JDM ECU has a speed limiter at 120mph. I know, I know about the speed but it rarely ever happens, let alone the GF condoning it to happen with her in the car. But she felt safe the whole time. Lola rides so fantastic at those speeds its kind of unreal. It was a touch over 400 miles and we did it in around 6.5 hours. Then had a BBQ with her parents, makes for a good day. I totally understand, driving with the right song on as well, it just enhances the experience of the drive so much more.

Yep! And now that I think about it, I couldn't get the same feeling with any other car. Even a brand new 'whatever'. Sally and I have this history and it sounds stupid but i feel like we are one some days. I plan on trying to get some better pictures of her soon, just have to think of a spot to go.

Comment

Wish I could check the car out in person! Nothing like cruising around in your car that you've worked hard on.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Yep! And now that I think about it, I couldn't get the same feeling with any other car. Even a brand new 'whatever'. Sally and I have this history and it sounds stupid but i feel like we are one some days. I plan on trying to get some better pictures of her soon, just have to think of a spot to go.
            I think a bit of someone soul is transferred into the car once you work on it long enough. It really just becomes a part of yourself. You have done so many small and big things to this car to make it "yours". All of the trials and tribulations, you have been though with her, are your journey and story to share with others. No other car will give you this feeling or the same feeling when driving it. She is truly your car. Like my girlfriend likes to say, Lola is my mistress and sometimes I spend more time with the car than her. But all the time spent working, planning, fixing, and frustrated it's all worth it in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
              Wish I could check the car out in person! Nothing like cruising around in your car that you've worked hard on.
              Ya, i hear ya. I'm so used to her, we grew together. Sometimes i meet "car people" and they all have said they would not drive it. Especially the people in the passenger seat. Driving this car is...
              - non-forgiving (clutch is on/off)
              - precise (instant turning, braking, power)
              - endless power at top rpms
              - amazing brakes. love the brakes on this car

haha, and you smell of ..... "engine" when you are done. (WG fumes, etc.)

I think a bit of someone soul is transferred into the car once you work on it long enough. It really just becomes a part of yourself. You have done so many small and big things to this car to make it "yours". All of the trials and tribulations, you have been though with her, are your journey and story to share with others. No other car will give you this feeling or the same feeling when driving it. She is truly your car. Like my girlfriend likes to say, Lola is my mistress and sometimes I spend more time with the car than her. But all the time spent working, planning, fixing, and frustrated it's all worth it in the end.
              Amen!

That right there is why I'll probably go through 100+ pages of this site to get my pics working again

Comment

@Rilas well said... poetic even!

@Raf99 getting to know your own car and how it behaves is all part of the experience and the bond. I would love to have a setup like yours!
                1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                  @Rilas well said... poetic even!

@Raf99 getting to know your own car and how it behaves is all part of the experience and the bond. I would love to have a setup like yours!
                  I think every cb7 fan should come check this car out. Not many of those around though. lol... it's not all fun and games. Seems throwing a turbo on a 25 year old car comes with its bag of drama too. Current issues:

- O2 sensor keeps throwing a check engine light, not sure why yet
                  - Transmission has a grinding 5th gear (synchros)
                  - Transmission has a bad clutch release bearing
                  - Transmission has a bad master shaft bearing (input shaft bearing)
                  - Transmission has a worn out clutch
                  - No A/C , it gets hot in the car!

So ya, dying to rip the transmission out. Was hoping to wait till the winter but every time I drive the car it sounds worse. And then there's the fact that you cannot order some parts for the H22 transmission anymore. I suppose fix these issue and we'll be good

As always folks, i appreciate you stopping by!

Comment

I'm kinda nervous about doing a turbo set up, due to everything that could go wrong. I'm definitely going to need a second car before doing that, haha.

What's your daily?
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                      I'm kinda nervous about doing a turbo set up, due to everything that could go wrong. I'm definitely going to need a second car before doing that, haha.

What's your daily?
                      2004 Acura TSX. Which has a lot of KM and it's own set of problems
                      But ya, when you turbo a 25 year old car you should expect problems. This is like folks who take their turbo's to the track where the main saying is "race, break, fix, race".

I found a leak on the bottom timing belt cover yesterday, which means something is leaking behind the cover. I'll have to check it out.

I really want to rip the engine out of the bay at this point....

Comment

Well the oil leak wasn't enough to form one drop in a week, sooo going to leave that for a winter project. As of now Sally runs well again We have nice drives and ..... nothing really to fix. Oh. front wheels need to be balanced and ... was thinking of adjusting the clutch. Maxed her out the other day, she did well. May add a resonator to her and see what she sounds like. Not really liking how loud it is at slow speeds.

Comment

Well the oil leak wasn't enough to form one drop in a week, sooo going to leave that for a winter project. As of now Sally runs well again We have nice drives and ..... nothing really to fix. Oh. front wheels need to be balanced and ... was thinking of adjusting the clutch. Maxed her out the other day, she did well. May add a resonator to her and see what she sounds like. Not really liking how loud it is at slow speeds.
                          What do you mean by maxed her out? A resonator should help tone out the exhaust through all of the range. Years ago I used to enjoy loud exhausts. But it sucks when you drive your car over long distances. As I've gotten older I do enjoy some sound but only when I really want it to be loud. For cruising I really prefer not to hear so much of the exhaust. I think I have finally gotten there with Lola, although I am upgrading to a 3" cat-back here at some point in the nearish future, and I think I'm going put a larger resonator in it, than is currently in the Magnaflow cat-back I have currently. I have about 200-400 rpm's now where the exhaust drones. Unfortunately that is right around 60 mph in 5th gear. Upping the resonator size should cut the last bit of droning out that I have.

Comment

What do you mean by maxed her out? A resonator should help tone out the exhaust through all of the range. Years ago I used to enjoy loud exhausts. But it sucks when you drive your car over long distances. As I've gotten older I do enjoy some sound but only when I really want it to be loud. For cruising I really prefer not to hear so much of the exhaust. I think I have finally gotten there with Lola, although I am upgrading to a 3" cat-back here at some point in the nearish future, and I think I'm going put a larger resonator in it, than is currently in the Magnaflow cat-back I have currently. I have about 200-400 rpm's now where the exhaust drones. Unfortunately that is right around 60 mph in 5th gear. Upping the resonator size should cut the last bit of droning out that I have.
                            Max out = go as fast as possible through the gears to top speed The limitation is the tranny here, you run out of gears pretty quick.

I find with the 3" exhaust i have the highway cruising speed is the worst, as you said especially on long drives. It's like a diesel but worse I guess. And driving in rural neighborhoods (2nd-3rd gear) is really loud too. This type of loud would work for the race track or drag strip, but not so well in rural neighborhoods. So do you think putting a 3" resonator on the car will quiet the car down?

Comment

Max out = go as fast as possible through the gears to top speed The limitation is the tranny here, you run out of gears pretty quick.

I find with the 3" exhaust i have the highway cruising speed is the worst, as you said especially on long drives. It's like a diesel but worse I guess. And driving in rural neighborhoods (2nd-3rd gear) is really loud too. This type of loud would work for the race track or drag strip, but not so well in rural neighborhoods. So do you think putting a 3" resonator on the car will quiet the car down?
                              It will most definitely quiet the car down a bit. It will also help a good bit on the highway. I'd recommend a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator Part #: 1142. Price isn't rediculous, stainless to prevent rusting. Having someone weld it in place after cutting out the old section should even run more than $30-40 it's like 15 minutes worth of work.

Comment

thanks. i'll look into that.

Went for a drive today. Far away shot..., can't really sad I'd add anything to Sally.

Comment

Working...
                                X