No announcement yet.

Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I can keep an eye on the oil level in the catch can. Not that I plan on having it fill with oil again but meh. So I bought some cheap ebay 1/4" tube fitting AN 90 deg thing a jigs. Tapped the holes and used some clear tube I had lying around.

Cheers!

Comment

Pics working again. You doing all the paint with rattle can? I need to get a valve seal tool as well. I used a set of pliers and a rubber mallet last time I did my valve seals.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        Pics working again. You doing all the paint with rattle can? I need to get a valve seal tool as well. I used a set of pliers and a rubber mallet last time I did my valve seals.
        Yep. Don't have the $$$ this year to go full chooch on painting. I really want to do the front bumper and hood, all lips on the car, ya... basically the whole car needs a good paint job. But think I'll settle on just doing upper rad part, side bump stops, G-square grill.... all with rattle cans. But have to wait for it to warm up a bit too. Funny, there are only several cans to find at local stores. Last time I looked there were 4 cans avail. Could have some hand made but last time I did that I found they were more mismatched than Canadian Tire cans. Lost very large income due to COVID so we are basically selling stuff / saving up to get parts for Sally now. Looking like the goal before spring is....

- Rip apart engine and head / install valve seals
        - Buy new head gasket (not sure what thickness to buy yet)
        - Rip apart transmission and install new bearing kit (almost have enough saved)
        - Put trans and engine back in the car, clean up bay a bit = done
        - Paint side mouldings bump stops / upper rad part / G-square grill

Hopefully ........ engine will run and no issues. I've never ripped apart an engine to this level prior. Still don't know what head gasket to buy. I see cometic has many many thicknesses avail for the H22 too. I wrote em', .. no reply.
        I also wish I could find more turbo piping, i wanted to try a different route ....

Comment

You could always buy an 2.25” or 2.5” exhaust kit and make your own tubing. That’s what I did on my first set up and used a mig welder with gas. It wasn’t pretty but it allows you to make your own piping.
          the rattle can looks great. What are you looking for with thickness? Trying to bring it within OEM spec after having the head/block resurfaced?
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
            You could always buy an 2.25” or 2.5” exhaust kit and make your own tubing. That’s what I did on my first set up and used a mig welder with gas. It wasn’t pretty but it allows you to make your own piping.
            the rattle can looks great. What are you looking for with thickness? Trying to bring it within OEM spec after having the head/block resurfaced?
            No, I just need to slap the block back together. But I'm told a new head gasket should be used (told = learned). But I don't know what thickness of gasket I have. (would like to order in advance)

https://www.cometic.com/applications...a/prelude/1993

There's layers, bore size (I can measure that) and thickness. I'm seeing everything from a 0.27" to a 0.120" with 87mm, 88mm, and 89mm bores. I wrote cometic asking if the gasket I remove from the block will have some markings on it, but no reply.
            I do have a new H22 head gasket here, but not sure who makes it (bought from some random guy. Don't think it's cometic judging by the pic comparison, I'll guess it's OEM because of that silver tab...

Comment

Big thanks to Jacob for helping out with the head work!

So today a friend and I ripped into the engine and took the head off the block. I can't find anything wrong with anything to be honest. Not a scratch, burn, leak, nothing......... almost tempted to re-use the head gasket but I won't.
              Did measure the head gasket and it's exactly 87mm / .030 / 3.445"(bore size), and 3 layers thick. So think i need to order this - https://www.cometic.com/products/C4255-030
              The compressed thickness is the same as the normal thickness so I think I'll be fine if I order this one. My guess is that the machine shop are the ones to do the clearances and figure out what thickness to originally use during the build. & i can't believe there's not a S/N on this, logo, company name?? There's no way to tell what this head gasket is..... so i'm guessing it's cometic. Any disagree?
              We did start on the valve seals & got about half of them done. The pistons and piston walls look amazing. Oil has no metal in it. Truly a great job done by the original shop builders. No carbon build up on any pistons etc.
              My theory that one piston was black when looking through the scope was wrong. Can't see any difference in any of them. Definitely an open block that was sleeved. No stripped bolts, excited to work on this !

And ya. . I'm stuffing a shirt etc under the head where the valves are & clamping the head down to a table. Works great! Cheers!

Comment

Finished off the rest of the valves this morning. No issues, pretty easy actually. I can't find anything wrong with the old seals but i can see how the tension on the spring would loosen over time.

Last ones, finally! Takes a tremendous amount of time to do this. I'm sure a shop would charge $500 or more for this task.

Some out of focus, but you get the idea. No real issues with them.

Here's a bad angle / bad time warp video of the head being pulled off ! Cheers.

https://youtu.be/V-nlRczzBWc

Comment

On with the show. Tonight I wanted to get the blower motor back in and the fuse box. Also take care of that corner where the wires comes out.

Comment

Fuse box back in, all done inside the cabin. Need some new mats for Sally soon. Old OEM ones just look like garbage now... (not shown in this pic).

Comment

Looks good! I’m also need to get new mats...
                      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Thanks SSMAccord.

**Another big shout out to Fleetwood for hooking me up with a horn and connector Not something I can find here in good ole' Canada. Cheers mate!

Several years ago after a shop had the car for a while one of the horns went missing. The only thing remaining was the two wires. So ya, for several years I only had the high horn. haha. It sounded like an antique when you pressed the horn.
                        Great thing here, even the colors matched up Not sure if this is where it goes, but it's going here for now.

Comment

Been a while since I had a front bumper off, the mounting should be a mirror image of the left horn.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetw00d View Post
                            Been a while since I had a front bumper off, the mounting should be a mirror image of the left horn.
                            The shop that lost the horn also lost the drivers side horn too. There's a Rock Auto one on that side randomly secured but it has worked fine for years

Comment

Here's a nice change for ya'll. Me and the girl skating yesterday on a frozen lake near the house. Do it every year, past week the ice has been glass. Can skate for miles....

Comment

That's cool as ****! Nice.
                                The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                                X