No announcement yet.

Raf99 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent work on the headlamps and the door re-trim! I like the small hint of color in the rope, a black rope may look sleeker and less decorative.

"But the fabric on the bottom is grey and ... 90s. I haven't made up my mind what exactly needs to change to make this look more complete. I'll think on it. I wonder if a pro could do better as to replace the grey part of the full panel. black leather....or suede. Would need some unique tools."

I think you are talking about the carpet on the lower part of the doors. This isn't as hard as it may seem, although it does take a little bit of time.

Materials:
    - Fabric/Suede/Vinyl/Leather
    - 4mm/6mm upholstery foam (depending how plush you want the final material to be)
    - Illustration Board (very sturdy, moisture resistant white paper board (it is not poster board) that can be acquired from an art supply store)
    - Sharp cutting utensil
    - heavy duty spray adhesive
    - fabric glue ( I prefer Fabri-Tac)
    - sandpaper or scouring pad

For the front doors it is pretty straight forward, I replaced my carpet with microfiber suede probably a decade ago. You have to remove the carpet from the map pocket and remove the old glue residue. Use the carpet to make a template for the shape. Transfer this shape to the upholstery foam. The material that you plan to wrap needs to be laminated to this upholstery foam to give it volume to fill the depth that the carpet previously had to fill in the void below the hard plastic of the map pocket bezel. Once the new fabric/foam is mated and dry, spray adhesive the material to the map pocket. Trim the upper part so that just enough is left to tuck under the map pocket bezel and use a clean plastic putty knife or other such tool to tuck the fabric under the bezel of the map pocket. For the rest you will have to hand wrap and use fabric glue to adhere the fabric to the back of the map pocket. The curved area will have to have "pie cuts" made to wrap cleanly.

The rear doors are a similar story. Remove the old carpet and remove any glue residue from the door. Use the carpet as a template. Using illustration board (NOT CARDBOARD) transfer the template to the foam and cut out the shape. I think I made this about 2mm smaller all the way around so that it fit properly when I was done. Laminate the fabric and foam using adhesive. Glue the fabric/foam to the illustration board. Wrap and glue the excess fabric to the back side of the illustration board. Glue the new panel onto the door. Voila! Done.

I did not do a great job documenting this originally. But here is the old rear door part that I made out of cardboard as example of what I did and why you should not use cardboard! The cardboard does not hold its shape very well and isn't very durable overall. Also, this suede was not UV stable which caused it to turn purple in about one summer. The grey material above is the foam I used when I redid this part. When I redid these, I used an automotive grade material that even a decade later is still black.

Cyborg is not incorrect, suede does tend to be susceptible to oil and hand creams that can make it age poorly. That typically only occurs on steering wheels and shift knobs though, door bolsters, headliners and such tend to not suffer from this. My doors are a decade old and the suede has held up pretty well. Maybe I will make a small DIY on this process. I would have to take new images though. Hmm...
    http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Yaa. i've taken the bottom carpet off before. *cough*.. old age / glue took them off. For the longest time they just kept falling off. But I think you're right. If I made that bottom part the same black material maybe it won't be so bad.. Let's give it a try.

Comment

Yaaaa SSMAccord, muchly appreciated! Looks far better. Yep.. I'm happy with this. Just have to do the other 3 doors.

Comparison of fabric:

But very hard to do. The cut has to be perfect because of how it applies to the door. I used a white chalk to outline and used steak scissors to cut it.

Comment

This does look really good. I am glad you decided to tackle this! It can be a little tedious in the cutting and fitting.

Comment

That looks much better for sure! I like it! This is something I would love to do in the future, however I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do with the interior. Right now it’s all over the place.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Ya, I think I would redo this all of this in the future to a better material. One that doesn't fray etc. Good to try this out though. Oh, already ordered the black rope. haha.

Other rear door:

Comment

Damn that looks legit.
                The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Nice upholstery work there. Looks like it came out pretty sick. I like that weave pattern that it has.

Comment

Thanks for the comments all. The fronts are far easier than the rears as you can tuck the material in behind. And really completes the doors for a good look. Takes the "90s" out of the door as the rest was updated too.

Comment

It does "take the 90's out of the door"! It makes the door look much more modern. I also agree, that the front doors are easier than the rear doors.

Comment

Ya. I bought that black interior off someone long ago too. Same with the black arm rest and pieces. But I didn't realize the only thing that old black rug on the door was matching (90's wise) was the OEM crappy looking carpet on the drivers floor.
                        No point in keeping it, same with the floor mats. Ug. Not sure what to replace those with, the carpet was replaced to black too.

Comment

I bought something that came on a large pallet. So I made this.
                          Cut two 2x4s for the legs. The rest are screws, use pieces under your butt for support. Paint. I'm no carpenter but seems to work. And I had limited wood lying around too.

Comment

That is a fantastic table/work bench you’ve got there!

Comment

Eastern Canada, specifically Nova Scotia is famous for it's fish / lobster and the Cabot Trail. I don't like fish or lobster, so here's some pics of the Cabot's Trail we did for the past two days. Definitely a drivers road. Beautiful views, steep turns and incline/decline. Tons of hiking trails, look off points, and all in the middle of no-where. Always nice cars travelling around it (I had seen a 15 pack of corvette's). Total complete road is 185 miles, but you'll be a good 6 hours. Add 2 hours in there for getting to this look off point. Also technically the first time I seen a mother / calf moose in the wild (was probably 10 feet away, but they kept eating and slowly moved on). Pics taken with my cell phone believe it or not. Samsung A52.

Comment

In the words of some rando in Django Unchained, "I can't see shit!"
                                ~Nick~
                                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                                X