No announcement yet.

domesticated : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think attenuated would be more appropriate than masked. The balance shafts lessen the vibes enough to help protect engine longevity, but don't eliminate them, no.

For me, it all comes down to reference sources for the design. Honda engineering and development vs random tuning shops and backyard diys. I have to trust honda in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
      I think attenuated would be more appropriate than masked. The balance shafts lessen the vibes enough to help protect engine longevity, but don't eliminate them, no.

For me, it all comes down to reference sources for the design. Honda engineering and development vs random tuning shops and backyard diys. I have to trust honda in this case.
      That would have been my exact response. It's well documented in the Neon community. People even say stop using under drive pulleys too because of how destructive it is to the oil pump.
      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

For the rebuild I'm leaving everything stock except the valve train. Spring, retainers, and cams. I'm undecided on what to use. There's nothing but miss matched information on the forums lol. I was thinking BC cams, but then some people say Crower is actually better than BC. I'm not a fan of Bisi because the customer service I've heard lately and there really isn't a lot of H22/Bisi info anyway. I also avoid Skunk2 because their quality is shit. I had suspension springs snap and I'd rather that not happen to my engine. Some more research I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
          For the rebuild I'm leaving everything stock except the valve train. Spring, retainers, and cams. I'm undecided on what to use. There's nothing but miss matched information on the forums lol. I was thinking BC cams, but then some people say Crower is actually better than BC. I'm not a fan of Bisi because the customer service I've heard lately and there really isn't a lot of H22/Bisi info anyway. I also avoid Skunk2 because their quality is shit. I had suspension springs snap and I'd rather that not happen to my engine. Some more research I guess!
          What brand cams do the hardcore track guys trust?

What about Web cams? Don't they make a lot of the cams that others, like Bisi, sell?

Comment

The hardcore track guys stick to stock cams. I'd like to add a little pep to my step though.

Good news, the bottom end is solid. So I'm just gonna do cams, springs, seals, belts, and a tune. Exciting cause I want to put my money towards other things now!

Comment

Nice.

Once the engine's settled, do you plan on putting her on a diet?

Comment

Idk how long you've been following this thread, but I corner weighed my car. Completely clean, no junk, half tank, no floor mats it was 2955! Holy pig Batman. Removing the interior I got it down to like 2800. Since then I have removed the AC, ABS, and a few other things. My race trim goal is 2450lbs (-500lbs). Still a work in progress.

Comment

Idk how long you've been following this thread, but I corner weighed my car. Completely clean, no junk, half tank, no floor mats it was 2955! Holy pig Batman. Removing the interior I got it down to like 2800. Since then I have removed the AC, ABS, and a few other things. My race trim goal is 2450lbs (-500lbs). Still a work in progress.
                  Ah.

I remember seeing the 2955 lb. weight, but missed where you had already started removing stuff.

How do you plan on removing the rest of the weight needed to reach your goal? I imagine it'll take replacing body panels at the least. Depending on where i end up with my build, i was considering switching the stock fuel tank out for a 12 gallon unit to help save weight. Only negative effect would be shorter trip distance but i don't know how much weight it would actually save.

Comment

Well the AC sustem is substantial. 60lbs maybe? The ABS system is another 40. Lighter seats will save 50lbs, OE sound damping material and the dynomat the previous owner put in is another 40lbs. Carbon hood and trunk will be maybe 30lbs. So that puts me at 220. My old Neon had manual windows and locks, the doors weighed 85, I gutted them down to 15. So 70lbs per door, lets say 50, there's another 200. Puts me at 420. Let's say I find another 100 in random stuff. -520. A DOM cage for our chassis 135, a CM cage is 75. Let's say DOM, -385. So that puts me around 2415. Conservatively.

As far as a fuel cell, well why spend 500 dollars to not be able to put 2.5 gallons of fuel in the tank. Try just not putting that 2.5 gallons in the tank.

Comment

Well the AC sustem is substantial. 60lbs maybe? The ABS system is another 40. Lighter seats will save 50lbs, OE sound damping material and the dynomat the previous owner put in is another 40lbs. Carbon hood and trunk will be maybe 30lbs. So that puts me at 220. My old Neon had manual windows and locks, the doors weighed 85, I gutted them down to 15. So 70lbs per door, lets say 50, there's another 200. Puts me at 420. Let's say I find another 100 in random stuff. -520. A DOM cage for our chassis 135, a CM cage is 75. Let's say DOM, -385. So that puts me around 2415. Conservatively.

As far as a fuel cell, well why spend 500 dollars to not be able to put 2.5 gallons of fuel in the tank. Try just not putting that 2.5 gallons in the tank.
                      I removed the ac system from my old '90 sedan and shortly regretted it given it was still my daily. Doesn't seem you'll have to worry about that since you're going full track car and even gutting the doors. A 2,400 lb. Accord with a great suspension and a strong h22 sounds like its gonna be FUN.

As far as the fuel tank goes, i just figured 12 gallons in a smaller tank would still save some weight over 12 gallons in a 15 gallon tank. Our personal goals also change perspective on this as you can just keep a track car at half a tank or less to save weight, but doing that with a daily would suck with all the gas station trips you'd have to make rather than just filling up.
                      Last edited by Lucien; 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM.

Comment

My AC hasn't worked since the H swap 5+ years ago lol. It was literally dead weight!

I'll bet you a 12 gallon fuel cell weighs the same and our factory tank. People don't use fuel cells to necessarily save on weight. They use less fuel, therefore not needing the bigger tank. And a 2-5 gallon tank will save a few pounds over a factory tank. The advantage of a fuel cell is the safety aspect. But switching for a 12 gallon to save on weight is useless. Also putting a fuel cell in a daily I'd just a bad idea all around. Pointless.

Comment

My AC hasn't worked since the H swap 5+ years ago lol. It was literally dead weight!

I'll bet you a 12 gallon fuel cell weighs the same and our factory tank. People don't use fuel cells to necessarily save on weight. They use less fuel, therefore not needing the bigger tank. And a 2-5 gallon tank will save a few pounds over a factory tank. The advantage of a fuel cell is the safety aspect. But switching for a 12 gallon to save on weight is useless. Also putting a fuel cell in a daily I'd just a bad idea all around. Pointless.
                          Ah.

Comment

Does anyone know where the residual pressure valve is in our brake system? Do we even need them as long as the booster is properly functionin? Are they built into the calipers or the stock proportioning valve? Finished pulling the ABS out today. I just bought a Wilwood proportioning valve and I'm trying to figure what else I need to get the system functioning properly before I figure out how to run the lines.

Comment

Residual pressure valve? As in the valve that holds line pressure? I didn't even know we had one. Unless it's built into the prop/ABS unit.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I was thinking you didn't need them if you had a booster. But then again our cars came with drum brakes which requires 5x the brake pressure. Not sure if it's built into the prop valve or not. Having a hard time finding info on it. I won't be using a factory prop valve, so I'm just trying to cover my bases. But I guess I'll know as soon as I feel the pedal.

Comment

Working...
                                X