af_1132 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You live and you learn!

The good thing is about half that list is easy fixes. It sucks that the guy you trusted did a half ass job, but it sounds like Blacktrax caught it before it did any damage. Once they correct that stuff you're gonna love how the car runs, man.

I pulled my power steering. Mostly for steering feel, somewhat for aesthetics. I'm going to convert to "manual" like in the diy as i think it's the best option. If there is excess play in the steering after, i will find a way to fix it. Can't have sloppy steering. With the looped lines, you have extra resistance. Leave the lines open and it could lock up after a while. I think the ideal setup for 'cbs would be a manual rack with a rear swaybar and a stock diameter steering wheel. A lot of guys go with slightly smaller wheels when they switch from stock and it adds a crapton of effort at low speeds.

Comment

Man that is rough...good thing it's getting set straight!

I've been debating deleting my PS, but somedays I want to go out for a lazy cruise.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Coming along, sorry you trusted someone else to be as meticulous as you would have been yourself, thankfully it was only one tooth and not destructive interference. I bet the shop will have it all spinning like a top. Now you know...and knowing is half the battle..Makes me feel a bit better about my rule of no one touches my shit or drives it. EVER. lol. Even if I have to come to a dead stop and cram knowledge till I feel confident in the motions, then actually doing it solidifies it into experience and confidence, I bet if you did it all again, itd come out perfect, its just how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
          You live and you learn!
          The good thing is about half that list is easy fixes.
          Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          good thing it's getting set straight!
          Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
          Even if I have to come to a dead stop and cram knowledge till I feel confident in the motions, then actually doing it solidifies it into experience and confidence,
          Could not have said it better myself, my good people.
          --> Wait to work on the car until you don't have to rush, learn as much as you can in the mean time, and do a 110% job on everything until you know what's required is absolutely beyond your ability. At that point, call on a trusted friend!

I was told I would get an update yesterday, but no message was left. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. We will find out!
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

"Hey, James, how's it going?"

"Hey there, just returning your call from earlier."

"Awesome, I was just wondering if I could get an update on the car, if you were waiting on any parts, etc."

"Ah, well the car is up and running now, we did the 4-wheel laser alignment for you, and it will be going on the dyno for a three hour session tomorrow."

Gosh they are good! Yes Yes YES YES!

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
              "Hey, James, how's it going?"

"Hey there, just returning your call from earlier."

"Awesome, I was just wondering if I could get an update on the car, if you were waiting on any parts, etc."

"Ah, well the car is up and running now, we did the 4-wheel laser alignment for you, and it will be going on the dyno for a three hour session tomorrow."

Gosh they are good! Yes Yes YES YES!
              I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious.

I bet you're giddy as all hell right now. haha

Comment

I'm looking forward to today's dyno numbers. Is it weird that I'm getting excited for you?

What the hell, are my nips getting hard from the excitement? False alarm, I'm just really cold.

Comment

Originally posted by tishock View Post
                  I'm looking forward to today's dyno numbers. Is it weird that I'm getting excited for you?

What the hell, are my nips getting hard from the excitement? False alarm, I'm just really cold.
                  Ha! Lies! It's not cold today!

Anyway, since I can't be there today due to being a teacher, I hope they take a video of at least one full pull toward the end of the session. James is going to call me tomorrow morning to let me know if it's ready to take home.

MRT
                  Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

http://sdashapp.com/

That is all.

Comment

Dude! That is way better than the Hondata app that I have on my iPad, even with it (Hondata's app) being bluetooth compatible (which would most likely be :/ ). $9.95 no problem!

I'm thinking about a custom mount for my Moto X, where the climate control used to be, now that I know about this!

Now, the unit seems to be measuring lambda for AFR's in the video. Is that signal coming from a standard 4 wire 02 to the ECU? I ask because he has a separate AFR gauge on the far left, so he must have a wideband 02 as well.
                      Last edited by af_1132; 01-30-2015, 03:06 AM.

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                        Now, the unit seems to be measuring lambda for AFR's in the video. Is that signal coming from a standard 4 wire 02 to the ECU? I ask because he has a separate AFR gauge on the far left, so he must have a wideband 02 as well.
                        I only found out about this around 4 months ago. I was thinking about buying a cheap android to replace my dash. But after driving my CB for almost 19 years you could say I gotten kind of use to the stock gauges. So like you I'm going to use a 7-10 inch tablet over where the climate controls use to be. I've been trying the free version on my Galaxy Note4 and it works well.

Yes he is viewing the stock O2 on the tablet and the AFR gauge.
                        Last edited by Tishock; 01-30-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

That thing is really cool and i want one, but i can only imagine how quickly it would get jacked. Unless it's meant to be taken with you when you park?

edit - i'm a dumbass. i see now it's an app that you run on your tab or phone, which you would obviously take with you when parked.
                          Last edited by Lucien; 01-30-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Well....all right!

I got the CB back today, and was super excited to go pick it up!
                            It was wild to turn the key and hear the car start up for the first time since mid October! It didn't have any intake manifold, fuel system, head, breaks, clutch, flywheel, transmission, mounts, or Progress mods at that time.

First thing I noticed was that Jei set the psi on the AEM FPR to 30 psi, according to the Jegs gauge. I thought that was low, especially compared to what HA Motorsports had in mind for their basemap (43 to 45 psi). The second thing I noticed was the result of filled mounts: go kart like rigidity! I then noticed the idle, which settles at about 1k rpms.

I went for a test drive in the parking lot, and I immediately notice the new clutch, flywheel, and transmission. I LOVE IT ALL! Pedal pressure is only slightly larger with this 4 puck Exedy Stage II. The helical LSD is so wonderful .

And now, it's time for............the dyno sheet............ drum roll please!

Wait, what???

I was not expecting this at all. Keep in mind that this is a Dynapack (drive wheels are off, and the hubs are bolted to the Dynapack), which reads significantly lower than a Dynojet or a Mustang dyno. Still, this HP curve is weak. The torque curve, on the other hand, wow! Driving home, my butt dyno approves of WOT power above 4k, which makes sense considering the curves. It's a drastic improvement, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but look into reasons that I am not making more power:

1. Double stacked IAB plates with one set of butterflies opened all the way add torque but take away from the power curve.

2. Those stinkin' Bisi Springs are causing too much friction on the follower surfaces and lobes! I think I should get a new set of a6 springs from Majestic, swap out the Bisi Springs, and keep things at 6,500rpms max. It's just such a toss up, but with this power band, things need to be fixed.

3. The slim collector on the DC Sports and the 2.25" exhaust are just too restrictive for this setup.

Some interesting tidbits:
                            1. My VSS was faulty. I'm beginning to think our VSS's are as finicky as the black boxes, because a ton of people complain of VSS failures when swapping transmissions. What sucks is they swapped out a whole new PS speed sensor/VSS combo for $50, so the $180 PSS that I bought to replace my one with a broken mount is now in a box on the floor .
                            2. Odyssey PC680 would not hold a charge, apparently.
                            3. I could have a leak from either the oil pan or the rear main seal. OH JOY ! I am leaning towards the oil pan, due to the location of the two drops on the ground under the center of the car. I will obviously have to check for real leak.

All that said, this car is a MONSTER! It rattles, the ride is harsh, the exhaust leaks a tad, it has more power and less weight than ever before, I have to keep track of AFR at WOT.....

And I love every minute of it!

Am I taking this monster on a 450 mile ~ 13 hour road trip in April?

YOU BET!!!!
                            Last edited by af_1132; 01-31-2015, 03:29 PM.

MRT
                            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Can't see the dyno pic, anyway, I am glad you got it up and running. From what I gathered, I believe you're bottle necking at the collector and the exhaust. Open it up before changing internals. You might be surprised. I was running 2.5" on my semi built F22. Then I stepped up to 3" for the H22. The one thing I know is if you build em right, they like to breathe.

Just out of curiosity, what size throttle body are you running? How are the iab plates stacked? Is the plenum gutted?

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                              JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I fixed the image, silly me trying to make shortcuts.

Thanks for all your input and help. I'm sure I'll continue to need it

Yes, it's time for an exhaust re-haul. If I'm going to do this, though, I might as well wait until it's time to get the forged internals for the ZEX EFI Direct dual stage and go for an all out race setup.

Exhaust port milling, (need to do research on proper amount).
                                PLM 4-1 with F-flange mod, used Bisi 4-1, or custom 4-1 at a local shop
                                3" collector
                                3" custom exhaust w/out cat, muffler, or resonator; routed halfway back and out the side
                                *Car trailer required*

For now, though, I don't see the harm in the 2.5" collector mod. I mean, I have to do something, it's just sad .

To answer your questions:

TB: H23A1 stock 60mm TB
                                Plates: I have two IAB plates (H and F are all the same plates, I think) with the butterflies and diaphragm removed on the bottom plate only. The top plate has the diaphragm vacuum released so the butterflies remain open. I have the black box but it is not installed and the ECU won't run it anyway, since its a P06.
                                Plenum: stock H plenum with no gutting whatsoever in the entire manifold.
                                Last edited by af_1132; 01-31-2015, 06:58 PM.

MRT
                                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Working...
                                X