Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apalileo
    replied
    Thanks Mike! I had plans to join some of my friends for some small events during summer and fall but I have a few minor leaks I need to address before I can commit to anything. As of late I know my rear main has a minor leak. It's obvious down under the engine and there's occasional slip when engaging the clutch.

I've seen some cars with minor leaks pass tech inspection (usually the owner cleans up the evidence of it), but I don't want to be that guy dripping oil on a course, endangering myself and other drivers, you know?

Leave a comment:

• Mike1357
    replied
    I love the work you're doing! You're going way more in depth than a lot of other folks. Do you have any autocross or track days planned for it?

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Originally posted by Corweena View Post
    I actually have Euro R Recaro seats. Got Planted Technology seat bases, sliders, and they sit about an inch lower than the stock ones. Perfect for me.
    That's right... I forget who has what with so many awesome builds to admire on these forums!

Leave a comment:

• Corweena
    replied
    I actually have Euro R Recaro seats. Got Planted Technology seat bases, sliders, and they sit about an inch lower than the stock ones. Perfect for me.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Yeah, I didn't take into account the added thickness of the lower seat framework so the height came as a surprise to me when I installed them. Fortunately for me it's not a disadvantage. It's taking some getting used to, I'll say that much! I've never seen so much of my hood when driving. I'll play with the height adjustment for kicks, though I know for fact I will never use the adjustment beyond the lowest setting.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    wow those looks great !

I know with the 93 prelude seats (prelude rails) they sit lower than OEM. Which is fine, but it's funny when you have people in the back and they sit higher than you. It's weird, they can see over my head. I guess these would be the opposite.

Super nice seats though!

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    I was really stoked about their condition. I've been on the lookout for some seats and have seen literally hundreds of options that were in need of some level of reupholstery. These were literally "right place, right time".

At your height I imagine you'd have to recline way back and still have your knees hitting the dash with these. The average male height in Japan was 5'2" in 2013 so these cars are definitely not built with you in mind! You'd probably end up looking into fixed buckets with low profile sliders if you wanted to upgrade. I had a Sparco Sprint in my AE86 back in the day and I remember feeling like I was sitting directly on the floor pan with it.

Leave a comment:

• Corweena
    replied
    That's probably the cleanest set of cloth RSX seats I've seen. Most of the time they are trashed lol.

I always hated the fact they sat so high, because being 6'4" there is no way in hell I could ever use them lol. They'd be a great DD seat.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    July 9, 2017 - RSX Seats

I finally found a set of seats to swap in! Black 2006 RSX cloth seats with the side airbags in tact.

Separated the mounts with a drill and an angle grinder. I also disabled the auto-slide feature on the passenger seat by removing the spring and pull cable.

Found a welder to attach the mounts

Decided to paint the the upper covers. The pewter silver color is nice, but it doesn't go with my interior. 400 grit dry sanded, cleaned with alcohol and 3 coats of Dupli-Color black Trim & Bumper spray.

New vs old

Done

Additionally, I gutted the side airbags and cut off the reclining foot pedal from behind the passenger seat.

These were a fantastic upgrade. I love the double locking sliders and the lumbar adjustment. These sit higher than my stock seats so I have the driver side adjusted all the way down. I'm 5'6" and it's fine for me. These are definitely a great OEM seat!
    Last edited by apalileo; 07-09-2017, 09:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Yes, they are application specific and they are sold in front or rear sets (not combined). Mine are Spoon Sports branded. I didn't happen to find any rears for the CB chassis though. I was thinking the front set might work in the rear, but they are way too expensive to experiment with.

I don't think movement of the rear sub frame would create a significant knock unless one of the bolts has walked out. The amount of shift is really quite small (no more than 1/8" at most). Check your trailing arm bushings. Maybe a bushing has separated and the trailing arm is shifting under lateral load. Also check your rear bearings and even that the lug nuts are properly torqued down.
    Last edited by apalileo; 07-09-2017, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HenRoc
    replied
    Originally posted by apalileo View Post

My impulse buy: Spoon Sports Rigid Collars

Not much to show in terms of install. Had to use a pry bar to get them in since the rear engine mount prevented the front cross member from descending. Once in they just look like new washers.
    Are the Mugen Rigid collars model specific? I'm searching for a complete set for my wagon. Slowly I'm starting to dive into it. It has a rather pronounced 'knock' coming from the rear when I take left turns.

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    @dhill I'm glad I could pay the inspiration forward! Most of my knowledge comes from these forums and the rest comes from experience with a CD5 I had back in the day. As for "courage" I prefer to call it "calculated luck". I spend more time researching my repairs and modifications than I do performing them. I've accepted that there will always be a hiccup (stuck/stripped bolts, missing/incorrect parts, forgotten steps in the process, etc.), so all I can do is give myself time to make corrections. That's why I try to avoid starting any work on a Sunday!

Again, good luck with the job hunt. My best advice is to make sure your resume is organized and straight to the point. A degree and work experience are important, but how you present it to potential employers is huge.

If you're ever in the SoCal area, let me know! I'm always down for "car talk"!

@wagonkid Thank you kindly! I couldn't have gotten this far without these forums. Seriously, they've been a huge factor in all of this.

Leave a comment:

• wagonkid
    replied
    have done a great job building your cb. looks great

Leave a comment:

• dhill_cb7
    replied
    I just read through your whole thread and WOW! Your thread has given me so much needed inspiration to keep going with my CB. Thanks for sharing everything. I am super impressed with all the work you have done.
    I wish I had a fraction of the courage and knowledge you have with regard to the repairs and upgrades.

The suspension work was very informative. I learned a lot from reading through. I can't wait to see what you have in store next.
    Too bad i'm still in philly. I really need to get out of here and meet up with some members, like you, that care so much about the CB.

First things first I need a big boy job and now I have the degree so its only a matter of time.
    I will be keeping an eye on your progress and if I ever travel to Cali I will surely have to check this beauty out in person! Keep up the amazing work!

Leave a comment:

• apalileo
    replied
    Front Lower Ball Joints

Thursday night I noticed some light clunking in the suspension. The "wiggle" test revealed that my passenger lower ball joint was deteriorating. Yesterday after work I picked up a pair of ball joints from my local dealer and got up bright and early today to do the swap.

Old ball joints (passenger side on the right)

New ball joints in. Realized these are the newer revision without the snap ring

Rubber boots off (look at how generous they are with the grease!)

Old Energy boots on new ball joints

Ball joints lasted 5 years. I installed them when I did my ROH conversion. These were part of the suspension refresh kit sold by TASauto. I do not recall if they were OEM parts, but they have definitely been through a lot and have some miles on them! The Energy boots have about 2 years on them and they were absolutely fine. Once all of the road grime was cleaned off from the outside and the old grease cleaned out from inside, they were ready for more!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X