H311RA151N : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
    I can't even think of what all has changed with this car.

It now has:

-Alpine stereo. Single din.

-Brembo OE front rotors. Wagner thermoquiet pads.

-New OEM lower ball joints.

-Detroit Axle? Wheel bearings and hubs.

-Replaced rear deck, head liner and speaker grills (in rear deck) with pretty nice pieces. Reversed the mistakes of the previous owner.

-Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's in 195/60/R15. (Soft, way soft. Running them until I don't have to. Great tires but a deep winter tire IMO. I'd only use them with snow on the ground. Wind and 80mph makes the car lean and bounce around. Not displeased but surprised. Not a highway tire due to super super soft ride.)

I have a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator to install. The drone is quite bad. It's also leaking oil from the the timing side again and the rear main I believe. Pretty annoyed with oil leaks on this car. So the timing belt needs done again. Luckily the belt is $18 give or take. I'm about sick of doing it. Even though I can do just the belt in a couple hours now (practice). I think I errored when I used the Dorman balance shaft seal. It's probably the culprit.

Last but not least, I hate traveling in this car after traveling so much in the Talon. To be able to maneuver or pass in an instant (Talon) to having 2400 feet to pass a semi and a car a doing 70 in alternating passing lanes and hoping you make it around is a big difference. This car is SLOW. And I think it's slower than factory. I have the ignition timing dead nuts. It runs smooth and idles good.

Long story not so long, this car needs and turbo. I think I'm going to start gathering the last several parts to complete the build. I have injectors (550cc dsm) a small 16g turbo, O2 housing and 1g turbo manifold. I think all I needs is to build a forged pistoned block (got a great running F22A6 in another CB7 now) new gaskets, good clutch, find a donor 5 speed (or all parts) Walbro 255, wideband, boost gauge (I have a spare Autometer mech one) and then a method of tuning. It's a matter of time until it happens. Just a stock rod, stock cam forged pistoned motor making whatever the parts I have will comfortably support. Thankfully I have so many DSM parts. If it made a reliable 260whp-280whp I would be super pleased. If it lasted 80-100k daily driving I would be even more pleased. This car is just such a dog. When traveling with another person, two 60lb dogs and 250lbs of luggage it becomes a boat.
    If'n you ever finish that F22 a6, and feel like shipping it ... lol!

Hey, have a Great Thanksgiving Josh ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I'll put you on my "If I win the lotto" list. And you too Tomi! Funny thing, I couldn't remember how you spelled your name and I quickly browsed your MRT to find out and found about 5 different spellings. So to clarify... It's Tomi right? For future reference.

Comment

I always forget how slow these cars are stock. Well, I mean back in the day they were fast compared to others, but now in the modern world they seem slow. I went for a drive in a friends car (standard transmission) this summer (been a good 10 years since I've been in a stock cb7) and for a second in my mind I was thinking "why isn't he shifting yet..... ". Then I realized we were waiting for the car to gain speed lol. (think we were in 3rd gear). Even having a turbo pipe blow off on the H22 and feeling stock H22 again feels slow (also a low compression engine / 140HP). You should definitely aim for over 200/220whp as most other OEM rides are around the 200HP mark now.

Comment

I agree 100%. They are painfully slow in stock form by today's standards.

I have so many compatible DSM turbo parts that it's inevitable. I need to find a 5 speed parts car or swap parts at which point it'll happen.

Even 200whp would be a major improvement. The way I'm looking at it is backwards but essentially I have free parts. I think I can make at least 250whp on the small 16g and 550cc injectors I have. Which would be plenty for a reliable daily with forged pistons.

So onto the immediate future.

I installed the new OEM lower ball joints and had the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's installed about a month ago. I have a lifetime alignment through Firestone and they told me at the time of the tire installation and alignment that the steering rack gearbox is leaking and the driver side inner tie rod is shot. Also that the front struts are leaking.

So I'm fine with the front struts being gone. I think next year I'm going to install KYB AGX struts on the factory springs and replace all bellows, bushings and isolators at that time. Thoughts on this setup? Would like a stiffer better handling ride @ factory height. Also wouldn't have to install camber kit(s).

I'm sourcing a Detroit Axle steering rack later this week. It includes inner tie rod ends. Also, I'm sticking in another a new set Moog outer tie rod ends with the new rack just so everything is fresh.

I installed a new heater valve a month ago. I forget the manufacturer but it fit 100% factory. It was like $35. The car also has a new Spectra distributor this year. But the heater hose is damaged from oil contamination as the previous distributor leaked onto it as they commonly do. Part number 79721-SM1-010. So I'm installing a new heater hose very soon also. Likely next week.
          Last edited by H311RA151N; 11-24-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

So to clarify... It's Tomi right? For future reference.
            Yup. A friend I surfed with, (and also competed against) spelled his name that way, and his mother was my English teacher in HS.
            He passed away in a freak ski accident in Colorado while I was in the military. I came back and went to my ole HS and she was still there.
            I interrupted her class and offered my condolences and asked her if Tomi would mind if I changed the spelling of my name.

Just a little something to remember ole friends and good times ...

I hope you and your Family are having a Great Thanksgiving ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
              Yup. A friend I surfed with, (and also competed against) spelled his name that way, and his mother was my English teacher in HS.
              He passed away in a freak ski accident in Colorado while I was in the military. I came back and went to my ole HS and she was still there.
              I interrupted her class and offered my condolences and asked her if Tomi would mind if I changed the spelling of my name.

Just a little something to remember ole friends and good times ...

I hope you and your Family are having a Great Thanksgiving ...
              I'm glad I got it right.

That's a hell of a way to acquire a name/spelling. However a very meaningful way.

Mine was ok. I escaped the insanity within the area of my previous residence on Thanksgiving day. So that was very nice. A Midwest college town with politics and mentalities closely resembling that of San Francisco with trace resemblances of recent Portland. Fine and dandy for some. Not for this hick. I'm home buried in the woods where most wouldn't go. Further than previously. I'm the city slicker now. 40 minutes to the grocery store, gas station or post office. Needless to say I'm doing very well. Still waiting on work but I'm counting my blessings. Glad to be home.

Comment

As for this car, I installed a Detroit Axle steering rack and new Moog outer tie rod ends.

In case anyone was wondering, inner tie rod ends must be removed before removing the rack. I learned that the hard way. Hard-ish I should say.

I got it aligned and it drives better than ever. Really smooth and responsive steering.

Detroit Axle sells the rack with the boots and inner tie rod ends pre-installed. Kinda pointless. You have to remove them to install. So, you have to bend the already bent "washer" or "stake washer/ring".

Other than that it was ok. Exhaust downpipe must be removed. Permatex copper anti-seize FTW.

I now use Supertech full synthetic 10w30 (summer) and 5w30 (winter). It's the same as Amazon Basics full syn (which they've now jacked the price up to over $25 for a gallon) without one certification (For Chevrolet i think). So I run it for like $16 for a gallon @ Wally World.

Other than that. It's ok.

It has Blizzak WS70's. In 195/60R15. They are super soft. Good in snow, ok in ice but wear quickly. And they suck on interstates or speeds above 70. Also they suck on roads with sharp repetitive corners.

Comment

Another one hit while sitting in a parking lot.

I'll post a picture later but it got hit sitting in a parking lot. The driver was a dipshit and drove a new Ram down a slope on ice where they had no business going (or reason) and lost control hitting my car in the passenger side brake light area. It needs a passenger side outer tail light and a passenger side filler panel. Miraculously it doesn't appear to have damaged anything else.

It's alright I guess and could be a lot worse obviously but damn it I get sick of people f#cking up my sh!t.

After all the stupid crap I've done I've not once hit someone or had even any liability in an accident. Coming from someone who just months ago may or may not have been going 150mph on I-80. I just don't get it. I'm not very responsible all the time like I should be. Yet I've never even hit a curb.

At least I can laugh about it a little I guess.

Should've took the skank (1993 EX) to work I guess. I thought about swapping wheels and tires with this one and putting the Blizzak's on it for this week. At least it's got the filler panel I need. It can get a random color replacement filler panel for it. Thankfully that car is the same color as this one.

Comment

Speaking from experience, I'll have it looking like it never happened. I need to order a used OEM tail light. Then find a used filler panel from another Accord and put it on my Arcadia Green 1993 and rob the filler panel off it for this one.

I'm not super pissed just tired of it always happening to me. 2nd car in 7 years to get hit while sitting with no one in it.

The driver was very hesitant to provide their insurance. They wanted my info and I'm like nah. You don't need my info. With all the sh!t I went through last year I don't even live where I get mail. No FB, nothing. It's common practice to trade insurance but I'm good. You don't need to know who I am. I'll get reimbursed sooner or later is all I care about.

Comment

Dam. That sucks. Did you find a light yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                        Dam. That sucks. Did you find a light yet ?
                        On eBay for $50 shipped. I haven't purchased it yet but I will here soon.

Weather is still kinda bad. Hoping it will warm up so I can get to it.

Comment

I recently took this car on an 800 mile round trip road trip. 252,500 miles on this car now.

It has an issue where it needs brake fluid about once a month. I think it's spilling out of the master cylinder reservoir during cornering. The "Brake" light will come on intermittently in corners when it starts to get low. The brakes work excellent as all the calipers are new, Wagner TQ pads and Brembo rotors all the way around. Everything within one to two years old. So I'm thinking I might be able to replace the seal/o-ring on the brake master cylinder reservoir cap.

Funny thing, I hit a skunk 1/4 of the way into the trip. I traveled with my wife and two 10 year old labs. The dogs seemed to not be able to get enough of the smell but the wife not so much. Luckily I found an automatic car wash @ 3am on our route and the situation improved tremendously. It still has a slight smell though. Even a few days later. I think the smell is in the wheel wells on the passenger side.

It's due for an oil change and the front end needs inspected and greased. It was warm enough to test out the A/C for the first time this year. Still loving the R12!

Comment

I bought a new set of tires for this. I will tell you that Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires should not be used for regular usage. My alignment was great as I had the same shop that put the tires on do the alignment at the same time. The front tires are bald in 4800 miles. Granted I corner hard in this car on a daily basis for about 20 miles one way. Just keeping up with traffic on the roads I drive on. They were good in the snow though. I will save the back tires as they are ok. About half life.

I bought Ohtsu FP7000 tires. Same as my 1993 EX. I've driven on those 700 miles and I like them. $180 for four shipped in 195/60r15.

Comment

Doing a periodical check in. 269,000 miles now. Driving this again due to fuel prices. I got 25.7 mpg last full up. A/C is still in great working order for the 3rd year in a row. Still runs fantastic. I don't do anything but oil changes. Pretty decent.

Thought about getting the windows tinted. The car being so low and newer vehicles having such bright lights and being so high I get blinded a lot. I drive early of a morning so that's the only downside I really have with dailying this vehicle. Plus at stop lights I feel like everyone is peering into my car. All cars are taller and seem to have factory tint. The rear windows don't work so I figure I might have to fix that first.

Comment

Doing a periodical check in. 269,000 miles now. Driving this again due to fuel prices. I got 25.7 mpg last full up. A/C is still in great working order for the 3rd year in a row. Still runs fantastic. I don't do anything but oil changes. Pretty decent.

Thought about getting the windows tinted. The car being so low and newer vehicles having such bright lights and being so high I get blinded a lot. I drive early of a morning so that's the only downside I really have with dailying this vehicle. Plus at stop lights I feel like everyone is peering into my car. All cars are taller and seem to have factory tint. The rear windows don't work so I figure I might have to fix that first.
                                Ya, i hate the bright lights with a passion. Turn your side mirrors away from you so you have to move your head a little to see the vehicle behind you in them. & ya, thing your rear view mirror or the back window.
                                Still baffles me how there's a cut-off point in headlights but we neglect it with overpowered LED lights or install them in high-rise vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X