CyborgGT : 1993 Accord EX wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

Beats me. It seems to just be the typical water and carbon build up that you find in an exhaust system, but obviously a lot of it. I try doing a search for "exhaust spitting soot" and see pictures of people with the exact same problem, but the answers are all over the place. So many replies say it's normal, when it's definitely not normal. I've never seen a car do that before. I don't plan on running this engine through an emissions test, though, and I'll probably be keeping it for a future build in case I ever get another Honda (I would love an EF/CRX or EG one day), so it'll be torn down to check for obvious problems.
    Thanks, mine isn't quite that much either. After reading some of the comments, it does seem condensation is the culprit ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

The Si-T lights look good. That is a great add to the build.
      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Took the sunroof visor off. See how far gone the paint on much of the car is:

Did the CB have different visors throughout the years, or maybe wagon vs sedan/coupe? These are both OEM Honda visors. The first came on the car and has the "H" logo, and the second is one I found on a CB in a junkyard and has "Honda". They seem to be the same overall width at the rear corners, but when looked at from directly above their shape around the front curves is slightly different. I'm liking how the junkyard find fits tighter, though:

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I started working on the interior part of the manual conversion, and already ran into a problem. The clutch pedal assembly I pulled from the junkyard isn't fitting. The brake pedal went in easy enough. I'm going to have to go back to a yard and see if there were different pedal brackets between years or trim levels, because my footwell has components that are keeping it from being able to bolt down straight. Not sure how hard it is to tell in this photo, but at least the main relay and the black box to the left are in the way. What I think is the cruise control box had to be unbolted and moved out of the way to even get it in this far.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-26-2020, 09:33 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

ya... it's a huge pain but once you move that grey box and the main relay out of your way there's so much more room. & put that main relay somewhere you can reach it of course. Looks good though, don't think I've ever seen a 5 speed wagon before. Sounds weird even saying it

Comment

Pedals are in. After taking another look at a manual car at the junkyard, I simply had to flip the main relay 180* and everything fit nicely. It's very cramped up there, but it's done. Everything mounts where it should. Still need to wire in the neutral safety and cruise control switches, though.

I noticed the pedal alignment. Seems weird to me, but not sure if it actually matters. Took a photo anyway. The pushrod on the master cylinder is adjusted out to just shy of making the pedal press the Cruise Control switch in all the way. This clutch pedal actually needs to be replaced. I noticed that the hole in the pedal arm for the CMC pin is stretched out a bit so that there's a bit of play before the pedal actually starts to act on the cylinder. If it works, I'll leave it for now. I'm feeling kinda lazy about pulling another pedal at the moment.

Next up was the Prelude shifter. Looking through the DIYs, it seems like everyone just forces the bolts into the bushings and tightens it down in that stressed position. I didn't like that, so I elongated the front holes so it all sits more relaxed before bolting down.

Eh, close enough...

Shifter and pedals in!

I installed the ITR shift boot onto the console, and couldn't help mocking it up with the Circuit Hero extender and Skunk2 knob. That knob is so heavy for something so small, it's awkward to hold and I actually dropped it on the ground, so now it's got some little gouges in it. I'm feeling stupid for that...

The shift linkage still needs to be attached, but I ran into problems again. The Cheddas bushings I ordered don't fit (two of them don't, anyway), so I've contacted them and am waiting to hear back. Maybe I just got sent the wrong set.

New OEM reservoir installed, junkyard bracket cleaned up, kept the junkyard line because the rubber still feels great, and you can kind of see the new Luk master cylinder down in there. I'll wait until I have the transmission in to install the Valex line; I don't want dust getting inside of it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Looks great! My clutch pedal is higher than my brake pedal too. Do you find the shift dodgy or a little sticky now with the prelude shifter?

Comment

Not sure what you mean. The shifter feels smooth, but then it's not connected to anything yet.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Picked this up today, and it's confusing me. The gear ratio table that's posted on all the forums only lists the M2K4 transmission as available in the Australian Prelude Si and SRS, and the European-market 2.3i and 2.3i 4WS. I found it in a left-hand drive Si (H23A1) 4WS. The car had a crappy primer 'paint job' on both the body and stock wheels, and those generic eBay projector headlights, and nothing else done as far as I remember, so I feel like the owner wouldn't be the type to source an overseas transmission. The confusion sucks, because I can't tell if this has the 4.0 or 4.2 final drive without cracking it open and counting teeth. I can't be bothered. It's got a 7-month warranty, so I'll just give it a couple oil changes and worry about a tranny build later. This photo is after taking it to the car wash with some degreaser. I'll properly detail it before putting it in the car.

It was an unexpectedly beautiful day to be at the junkyard though, especially after yesterday's frigid, heavy winds. Right up until I slammed my knuckle into the block and got this gnarly flap of skin that was literally making me sick to my stomach to look at, that is. I'm such a wuss. It forced me to stop early, so I'll have to go back tomorrow for the little pieces I missed.
                    Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-16-2020, 02:49 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

This should help ya kind of -
                      https://www.preludepower.com/threads/honda-accord-transmission-codes-ratios.340037/
                      https://hondaswap.com/threads/honda-transmission-specs.29132/

I think you are aiming for a 4.0 5th gear ratio like the F22 and not the 4.2 5th like the H22. H22 tranny installs are not fun in our cars without dropping the engine or removing it. So ya, no way of knowing unless you open it. But I have a spare TWT4 at home, you could put it in 5th and count how often the axle turns on 1 rotation and compare to other transmissions....

Comment

Hoping to solve my too-short automatic flex plate bolt issue with an upgrade (I heard it's not good to reuse old bolts for this application?), we'll see if they fit. Part number officially lists them only for B- and D-series, but searching for "ARP H22 flywheel bolts" still brings these up...

Another story of "just my luck." So yesterday, when my injury cut my junkyard trip short, I was in the middle of grabbing the clutch pressure plate bolts. I didn't have a 12-point 10mm socket on me, so I was using the too-thick box end of a combo wrench. It wasn't quite fitting in the tight space, so each bolt was taking time and effort to break loose. Which is when my hand slipped. In my pain, I didn't think to throw the four bolts I had already freed into my tool box, and left. I went back today with the right socket, and the four bolts were still laying right where I left them, in plain sight on the pristine trunk carpet I laid out right next to the engine block. But someone took the two that were still on the clutch! They didn't take the pressure plate or clutch disc, just the two bolts. In fact, the clutch kit was still attached to the engine, via the dowel. I can't remember having felt so cheated before. It's not that big a deal, I can get those two remaining bolts online... but why?
                        Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-17-2020, 02:00 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Another story of "just my luck." So yesterday, when my injury cut my junkyard trip short, I was in the middle of grabbing the clutch pressure plate bolts. I didn't have a 12-point 10mm socket on me, so I was using the too-thick box end of a combo wrench. It wasn't quite fitting in the tight space, so each bolt was taking time and effort to break loose. Which is when my hand slipped. In my pain, I didn't think to throw the four bolts I had already freed into my tool box, and left. I went back today with the right socket, and the four bolts were still laying right where I left them, in plain sight on the pristine trunk carpet I laid out right next to the engine block. But someone took the two that were still on the clutch! They didn't take the pressure plate or clutch disc, just the two bolts. In fact, the clutch kit was still attached to the engine, via the dowel. I can't remember having felt so cheated before. It's not that big a deal, I can get those two remaining bolts online... but why?
                          OMG that sounds irritating. I would actually be in a funk because of it. It looks like you have a backup plan however.
                          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

That is pretty irritating, but I’m sure I’ve done something like that before. Not knowing if someone left it to come back to or not.
                            ~Nick~
                            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

You snooze, you lose, I guess lol

Accord Aero-R

Comment

ARP flywheel bolts work, thankfully. Found some pressure plate bolts on eBay as well, which just arrived today. As I refresh this transmission and figure out what I still need, a cart at Majestic is building up...

Cleaned up the transmission as best I could. I have a bolt plugging the hole for the missing reverse sensor, but I'd rather get that new than from the junkyard, so that's in the Majestic cart. I did find a proper breather tube cap at the 'yard, though!

Installed the Speedfactory detent springs:

As well as the MTEC shift springs:

And the new slave:

Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-30-2020, 10:43 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X