No announcement yet.

CyborgGT : 1993 Accord EX wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is just something I picked up at local store, made by First Alert*. Good for gas (fluids) and electrical, fits in where my jack would usually go.

Comment

I've got one like that I picked up from Wal-Mart as well, but I've been thinking of getting one of these HalGuards. Not cheap, but it leaves no powdery mess everywhere that, according to this ad, is bad for the electronics. @22:49:

https://www.h3rperformance.com/p4762-hg250b
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-03-2021, 04:19 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Can't explain why these new bolts are as exciting to install as any other mod I've done so far. Cost adds up quick on things like this, so I'll spread out the bolt 'upgrades' over time. This spec takes care of the biggest same-size chunk, though. I found a thread checker on eBay so I can make a list of the rest as I put the bay back together.

The bay is now as stripped as I want to get it, so for the sake of some "Before and After," here's what I have to get through. I'll loosen the thick buildup for now, and then next weekend a friend is willing to tow it to a car wash for me for a pressure wash.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-03-2021, 05:26 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ya at first i was like "pressure wash?, I'd do that by hand...", then i kept scrolling. I'd still do all that by hand. Some wipes and mild degreaser, but ya some of that looks caked on the drivers side pretty good.
          What is the thread checker for?

Comment

The pressure washing is more just to get into the tight spaces that my fingers can't or are otherwise annoying to clean. Just being meticulous, is all.

Thread checker's to measure bolt threads, so I know exactly what to order to replace them. None of the bolts actually need replacing, but... well, then they'd all be sparkly-clean and have matching heads. Even just looking at those OEM short 10mm bolts throughout the bay, I found at least three styles of head, with and without washers. It was annoying me, haha. Again, it's just me eyeing the details. It's my curse for growing up going to car shows, even though I'm not really building a show car.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              PS Pump looks close to what i'm using on my H22, the 5th gen accord / 1995 accord PS.
              Thinking back on this, I may have brain-farted my whole power steering issue. I was so caught up in H22s that I wasn't thinking about the Accord half of my SiR engine. That "mystery p/s pump" I had might very well have been the same pump used on many CD F-series cars, so I should have thought to try those power steering lines. Looking at yours, the fitting at the pump end of the high pressure line looks just different enough from my BB6's that it might have fit. Oh well.

I am jealous of the simplicity and emptiness of your bay right now, though. I don't think my pictures are giving justice to how bad I've got it in some areas. It's not as simple as soaking it in degreaser and wiping it away, this grime is requiring a plastic scraper and some serious brush scrubbing to get off. In this area here (wish I had gotten a 'before' photo), I went through my process of plastic scraper to get the majority out of the way, soaking what's left in degreaser, scrubbing it with brushes, and going through several paper towels wiping away the liquefied mess, only to find some stubborn stuck-on gunk was left behind and I had to repeat the process all over again. I'd feel guilty if I had gone straight to the car wash and put this soup of engine fluids and road dirt down their drain, but after I get it "clean" by hand, it'll still badly need a soapy pressure wash to get all the tight spaces in between things I can't get to, and clear up the splatter created from cleaning new areas. It'll save time and materials.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Finally! I can post!

First of all, lovely lovely work you're doing! And for the grime, back in the day a lot of people where using some degreaser and then a steam cleaner to get off grime like you're dealing with. It might even save you a trip to the car wash completely. My wife has one that she uses to clean the grease off of the kitchen stove and hood and she says it works 10x better than just straight cleaner--might be worth a shot since it will save you a lot of time!

Comment

Haha, thanks man. I've been meaning to get a steam cleaner forever, they can be used for so much. I'm feeling kinda cheap about it lately, though.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ahh that area. You're almost done in there :P Ya, I've spent a couple hours there. When I did the first engine pull it was 15+ years of gunk in there too. Ya, good point on the steam cleaner. I recently bought a power washer off Amazon and the downside of using it is that shit gets everywhere! You may push dirt and grease into areas you don't want, or make a complete mess vs. steam. Too bad you can't borrow someone's electric power washer. What's next?? Nice to see a good H22 build / install

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                      Haha, thanks man. I've been meaning to get a steam cleaner forever, they can be used for so much. I'm feeling kinda cheap about it lately, though.
                      I always think about purchases as investments--and I think you'd get a solid return on a steam cleaner in terms of better results in less time. So then you can work on the fun stuff.

Comment

... and the 'after' shots:

Beginning the big reinstallation, I burned through my 'starter pack' of 10mm bolts, I'll have to order more at some point. Details are looking nice, though. New OEM fuel filter, of course...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

This looks factory clean!!! Your hard work was definitely worth it.
                          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                            This looks factory clean!!! Your hard work was definitely worth it.
                            Seriously! Stellar work man!

Comment

Dang, that mf looking clean now!!

Comment

So did you end up going to the car wash with it?

Comment

Working...
                                X