No announcement yet.

steelbluesleepR : 1990 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you notice any difference moving the air filter location?
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i didnt really relocate the filter, just the battery. as far as noticing the difference, my car is running weird right now. i really need to get the valves adjusted and see if that fixes at least one issue.

anyway, i finally got the greddy evo exhaust on (had to have a friend make me a test pipe that was shorter than stock and had a different cat-flange so it would fit the cd5 exhaust), and it sounds amazing. its noticable at cruising speed, and makes a mean growl when i want it to, but its just barely louder than stock when i dont beat on it.

now the bad stuff. i went to bentonville AR this weekend for a car show, and my car blew the intake manifold gasket and my car lost all of its coolant. luckily i caught it in time, but had to leave my car at a walmart overnight and ride with my friends the rest of the way.

my car is down for the time being , but i just ordered a bisimoto intake manifold heat shield gasket, and i am getting an h23 intake manifold and short-ram intake from a friend, so i should be up and running this weekend.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

If you get the chance, before you put that H23 IM on, drill out the egr ports and tap and plug them...you'll likely see a huge difference on your milage...I did at least.

I can't wait to see/hear that exhaust.

Comment

hurry up and replace that lip man. its urkin my nerves thats its taking a little bit away from your car.

your making think about getting into the car show circuit once i get it painted. i would try it now but my car aint all that good looking yet. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
            hurry up and replace that lip man. its urkin my nerves thats its taking a little bit away from your car.

your making think about getting into the car show circuit once i get it painted. i would try it now but my car aint all that good looking yet. lol.
            i know exactly what you mean man, but there are several things that take away from the exterior of my car. there is that, the wavyness of the eyelids, the scratched and smashed passenger side door mouldings from where i hit a light pole that i never got fixed, and a few other things. most of the stuff isnt really that visible, but i know its there and i hate it. seeing it like that really hurts, but i am putting all of that off because each problem is going to be fixed with a mod, not just a fix. i am trying to find a 95 legend coupe lip like Ikayto has to replace my cd5. either that or a greddy, but i doubt i will spring for that with all the wildlife on the roads around me.

as far as showing, definately get into it. it kicks your ass into high gear with the mods, and it is a hell of a lot of fun if you go with a group of friends. make sure you always bring plenty of water and sunscreen to every show, and an easy-up awning and bag chairs are REALLY nice when you have them.
            Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 10-07-2008, 12:22 PM.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry

Comment

long, pic heavy update.

to fix the leaking-coolant issue, i got bisi's thermal barrier intake manifold gasket, and also picked up an h23 manifold and short-ram intake from a friend. with my order, bisi also sent some stickers and a liscense plate surround.

first off, i flushed out all the nasty-ass bars-leak out of the radiator and the engine. when i went into "limp mode" to get it back from arkansas, i took out the thermostat, so that was as easy as taking the top and bottom radiator hoses off and running a garden hose through them. you can see the mess from the bars-leak spewing out of the rad-cap that was left loose so as to not build pressure.

i then pulled my car back into the shop and got to work cleaning up the new manifold. i used a few different wire-brush attachments on my drill, and got it shining on the outside:

the inside needed some work, though. a lot of carbon had built up over the years, and the former owner tried to bore it out a little bit with a dremel, so i did my best to smooth out the runners with the wire attachments, then i sprayed 2 cans of carb/choke cleaner in the runners and the EGR port (i chose not to drill/tap the runner ports because i am planning on blocking off EGR and some other unneeded accessories). here is the before:

and after:

Comment

i got all the pieces shiney, but i though i wasn't getting enough contrast on the piece, so i painted the butterfly plate (now sans butterflies) and the end plate for the fuel rail with red metalcast. i know you're thinking, "Red?" but i have been doing several little details, including my stainless washers in metalcast red, and i assure you it looks damn good

the plate, washers, and bolts drying after being painted:

the fuel rail end-plate:

and the IM mocked up back together:

with that all cleaned up, i decided to tear into the engine. first i took the plenum off (look at those tiny runners!)

then the runners. looks like i found the problem!

the intake manifold had cracked on each side and the corners had fallen off, including about half of the two coolant lines on the passenger side of the IM!

since i do not have an h23 throttle body, (and need to find one, anyone have one i could buy?) i decided to take my time and clean up a bunch of stuff under the hood. i started with wire-wheeling the doohickey that attaches to the fuel rail (return line?):

then i pulled the clutch reservoir bracket and the hood latch off because they were filthy:

in that last picture, you can kind-of make out the painted hex-cap bolts and stainless washers. the bolts, especially the ones holding the fenders on, were rusting terribly, so i hit the bolts with satin-black rustoleum, and the washers with red metalcast. i think the look turned out awesome

thats just about all for now, i should have some more updates this week when i get back into the shop and clean some more. hopefully i'll get the throttle body and get it running! the transmission and the front of the block/head are on the chopping block for some heavy scrubbing, so stay tuned...

Comment

clean up that engine bay man. i was liking how that IM was looking with that red

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                    clean up that engine bay man. i was liking how that IM was looking with that red
                    thanks man, but i guess i'm not really understanding what you're trying to say, this manifold hasnt been in the car yet? and yes, i am in the process of cleaning the bay. with the IM off, i will be able to detail the firewall much better than i have been able to so far.

Comment

That IM looks sweet man. Drill out those egr ports though, I bet theres still a ton of crap in there.

I can't believe the old IM just snapped at the corners!

Also, do you have the vacuum diaphragm for that IAB plate? I don't see it in any of the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                        That IM looks sweet man. Drill out those egr ports though, I bet theres still a ton of crap in there.

I can't believe the old IM just snapped at the corners!

Also, do you have the vacuum diaphragm for that IAB plate? I don't see it in any of the pictures.
                        thanks man, i did clean out the EGR, i sprayed a whole can of carb cleaner into it, but i couldnt find any plugs that weren't close to $2 apiece. and no, there is no diaphram on the IAB plate because i took all the butterflies out. i dont have an f22a6 ecu to use them, and it cleans it up that much more not having the diaphram there.

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                          thanks man, i did clean out the EGR, i sprayed a whole can of carb cleaner into it, but i couldnt find any plugs that weren't close to $2 apiece. and no, there is no diaphram on the IAB plate because i took all the butterflies out. i dont have an f22a6 ecu to use them, and it cleans it up that much more not having the diaphram there.
                          I would remove that bar that held the butterflies then...but you're still going to lose alot of low-end power with those butterflies deleted.

Comment

Alot of work looks good bro.

UNDER CONSTRUCTiON- BEFORE && AFTER PiCS COMING SOON !

Comment

Originally posted by 203zCb7 View Post
                              Alot of work looks good bro.
                              thanks man, i'm always working on it. whether or not i take pictures and post them is another issue all together!

adam, i will be putting the butterflies back in when i can get an a6 ecu, but until then they are out. i left the bar in there because i cant figure out how to get it out without destroying it or leaving 2 big holes in the side of each runner

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                                thanks man, i'm always working on it. whether or not i take pictures and post them is another issue all together!

adam, i will be putting the butterflies back in when i can get an a6 ecu, but until then they are out. i left the bar in there because i cant figure out how to get it out without destroying it or leaving 2 big holes in the side of each runner
                                On the opposite end of the iab plate of where the vacuum diaphragm is, theres a little metal cap sticking out...just yank it with pliers and theres a screw underneath...then you'd have to jbweld the holes up.

I would just keep the butterflies in though...that way you won't have to take it all back apart to put the butterflies in when you get your a6 ecu...plus you don't really need the ecu...I haven't put my a6 ecu in yet and my butterflies are still in...you can still have them operate off a vacuum if you have that diaphragm.

Comment

Working...
                                X