Grumpys93 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
    You will love that transmission! That's some solid work you're doing to the car. My Aerocatch pins came with a template so I'm surprised yours didn't. I actually still have them by the way. Maybe I can work out mailing it to you or something. The one thing that steered me away, no pun intended, from the manual rack conversion was the slop in the steering. Did you find a way to remedy that with yours?
    Sorry mike I didn't get back to you, totally forgot to reply. I followed Will's (Rilas) addition to eliminate the slop. I haven't gotten to drive it yet but I will keep you posted. Also if your willing to mail the templates I would be happy to take them. I'm willing to pay as well. Hit me up on PM.

Got another big update today, thanks to this hurricane and my wife offering to take care of our daughter for the day. I was able to put in some work.

First in case anyone was wondering automatic transmission have different "flywheel" bolts than manual. Auto is on the left manual is on the right:

Installed and torqued, new OEM flywheel and my stage 4 competition clutch. This clutch is overkill for a stock h22, but my plans were to break it in with this motor then once the built motor swap it over:

Bolted up the T2W4 tranny and filled it with 2 quarts of Honda MTF gold. But then when I went to install the engine im sure I poured a quart on the floor so I will have to re-service it:

Then finally after 8 long years the cb finally has a heart in it. Though I still have a laundry list of things I need to do before I attempt to crank it, it feels good to see a motor in my accord after so many years. I am really hoping to have this thing running within the next couple weeks. I usually work on it when my wife goes to bed then until I can't see straight roughly midnight. Anyways enough babbling here is the pic:

Keep your fingers crossed I can attempt to start it by the end of this month.
    Last edited by Grumpys93; 09-06-2017, 11:32 PM.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Nice job! looks great.
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Nick it's fantastic to see you doing some good work to the Accord again. Here's to hoping that you have it running by the end of the month!
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Thanks guys! Though it's not the engine I want in my accord, it will allow me to practice tuning and iron out all the wiring kinks I may have created doing my wire tuck. It will be interesting to see what works and what doesn't when I hook up the battery and attempt to start the car. Once this hurricane passes I'll get back to working on it. Right now garage is stuff with my other two cars and all our outdoor patio and lawn stuff.

On a side note I just spent 39 dollars on another quart of MTF, 2 c-clips and 4 washers 2 of which are plastic. Got to love dealership prices. Wish I could have ran yo the junkyard, but I don't have time to go rummaging through the yard.
          Last edited by Grumpys93; 09-08-2017, 10:44 PM.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Be safe in the storm!

Comment

Well now it's my turn to say sorry I didn't get back to you. After the hurricane passes I'll rummage through my toolbox and get an envelope. Here's hoping both our cars name it through fine.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                Be safe in the storm!
                Made it out good. We lost power for 18 hours which was a little rough with a 10 month old, but everything survived.

Well now it's my turn to say sorry I didn't get back to you. After the hurricane passes I'll rummage through my toolbox and get an envelope. Here's hoping both our cars name it through fine.
                Hey Mike, how'd you fair in the storm?

Update on more progress:

So this is what $31.00 will get you at the dealership. Wish they would price match majestic, but they said only other local dealerships.

Can't really tell in the pictures but today I installed the washers and clips for the shifter cables, installed vtec solenoid, dizzy, and header.

I then started routing the vtec harness that includes the solenoid, knock sensor, and IABs. I am planning on moving the car out hopefully this weekend so I can get inside the trunk as well as the car and finish wiring up the battery and the vtec harness. I ran into a hiccup when I was installing the intake manifold and ended up having to use my omnipower 70mm TB, but I didn't bother port matching the intake manifold since I don't plan to keep this motor permanently.

Then a final pic of how the car sits now. I just love how the intercooler sits behind the bumper. Too bad I will have remove the intercooler until I am ready to install the F22b/f22a motor. I also haven't finished clearing everything out of the garage since the hurricane, this is on my to do list for the weekend as well.

I also have to remove the crank pulley and use my f22a one. The one that came with the h22 is cracked and chipped, so it's better to be safe than sorry.
                Last edited by Grumpys93; 09-14-2017, 11:30 PM.
                ~Nick~

Comment

I'm even starting to get excited a little bit for you Nick. It's been a long time coming to get the Accord running again. Even if it isn't with the engine that is the long term goal for the car. I'm sure it's going to be great again just for you to be able to drive it again, and all the sweeter once the F22B/F22A is in the car again.
                  MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Made it through the storm just fine. I keep forgetting to get with you about the template. The progress looks good. Are you planning on going to AFM this year? I'd love to see the car in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                      I'm even starting to get excited a little bit for you Nick. It's been a long time coming to get the Accord running again. Even if it isn't with the engine that is the long term goal for the car. I'm sure it's going to be great again just for you to be able to drive it again, and all the sweeter once the F22B/F22A is in the car again.
                      Thanks Will, I'm slowly pecking away at my to do list. It seems every time I mark one thing off 2 more items appear.

Made it through the storm just fine. I keep forgetting to get with you about the template. The progress looks good. Are you planning on going to AFM this year? I'd love to see the car in person.
                      It depends on if the navy sends me to Japan or some other random place again for a couple months or if I can convince my wife to either make a family road trip down or letting me go solo. It stinks not many people are in jax anymore. I miss doing the caravans down to AFM. I'm going to try and make it though.

Updates:

No pics tonight as the things I accomplished don't need pics. But went to a junkyard today and scored the IAB box, a po6 Ecu, a mint condition sedan trunk in rosewood, as well as a painted front bumper cover. I had limited time there so I didn't get to rummage through as much as I would have liked, but I digress.

I got some time after the kid went to bed to work on the car. I was able to mount the radiator and fan, install the IAB box and wire in the switch to the VTEC harness.

I also bleed the clutch as well. I ended up having to swap out the fitting on the tranny where the rubber clutch line connects to the tranny for the slave cyclinder. The one that came with the T2W4, apparently that one is angled down and the one that comes with the accord is straight. This angle was causing the fitting to leak, so that was fun cleaning up brake fluid. I forgot how tough a stage 4 clutch is, but it feels good knowing I'm almost there.

I'm hoping to get the axles in, in the next day or two. That way I can put it on the ground and pushed out so I can access the trunk and remove the old battery and start working on electrical issues.
                      ~Nick~

Comment

So as the old saying goes 10 steps backwards, no steps forward. As I was trying to install the axles I discovered the ball joint is shot. So I had to pull the knuckle to get the ball joint pressed out and go buy a new one.

I then ripped the boot on the cv axle so I have to replace that as well, so while the knuckle is out I'll do that.

Then to add icing on the cake as I'm pinning in the new wires I discovered that the pin that was soldered onto the Vtec solenoid is incorrect and is too small. So I have to solder in the correct pin.

The only good thing I got done today is removing the intercooler and that's it. Today was a waste of a day to work on the car. Kind of upset about it. Was hoping this would have been a little easier. But I guess that's what you get working with a 24 year old car.

/rant
                        Last edited by Grumpys93; 10-03-2017, 10:48 AM.
                        ~Nick~

Comment

Good Progress brother

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

So I finally was able to put electrical power on the car for the first time in 8 years and it was awesome to see that everything worked that was plugged in.

However that joy was short lived, I noticed when I turned the key to the "On" position I did not hear the fuel pump prime. So I checked voltage at the plug in the back and there was 12v waiting and the 12v monetarily on the other pin so I know it gets power.

So I decided to pull the fuel tank and see if I miswired the walbro fuel pump. Low and behold I found why the pump wasn't priming.

[

So the brand new pump I put in 7 years ago along with the fuel tank rusted out, so now I have to replace both the tank and fuel pump. Gotta love finding new issues.

I am thinking I may have to blow out the lines and make sure to clear out all the rust in the lines. I am really hoping I don't have to replace the lines as well.

On a side note I replaced both axles and ball joints on the front, I found my UCA bearing is bad and needs to be replaced as well.

But I did get in my quick bumper disconnects that I plan to install hopefully this week and get the bumper mounted while I wait for the pump and tank to come in.

Next time I park the car for long term I think I am going to fill up the tank to prevent condensation from rusting out the tank again

Also did an oil change and filled up the system with coolant. So once I get the tank and pump installed I should be real close to finally starting the car and hearing it run in 8 years. Stay tuned!
                            ~Nick~

Comment

Exciting! I'm really curious on how that quick bumper connect works, I'd love something like that.
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

BIG UPDATE!!!!!

But first lets do the story line.....

So since I found my rusted out tank and fuel pump, I decided to replace it with a brand new Walbro pump and tank... This process was pretty straight forward, but I plan to update the DIY since most are dead, so stand by for that.

First I had to clean up the rust on the pump hanger assembly:
                                From this:

To this:

Old Fuel tank vs New Fuel Tank:

All put together and ready to be installed:

Once everything was installed I turned the key to "on" position and I heard that lovely hum coming from the fuel pump.

After checking and rechecking wires, hoses, etc... Decided to prime and attempt to start the car......

And after a quick prayer, SHE STARTED!!!!.

I didn't keep her running long because she is currently running open header and it was 11 pm at night.

Any ways the next morning I decided to do her maiden voyage down the street and back. She is driving a little rough, check engine light is on and it is throwing codes 3, 10, and 41.

Code 3: I ended up putting the accord style MAP sensor back on, instead of the prelude one I wired in.(haven't had a chance to drive it after doing so, so waiting to see if that fixed the issue.)

Code 10: Haven't replaced the Intake Air Temp Sensor. I have a spare IAT sensor, but I have to get the one off the h22 out first, which requires a stubby Philips head screw driver.

Code 41: The o2 sensor that came with the swap, it's connector is busted and the wires are loosely in the plug, But I found it was disconnected (again I haven't had a chance to drive after connecting it). I do plan to replace the o2 Sensor soon.

There is still a lot I need to do before I can drive her on the open road but it was nice to be able to drive her out of the garage and down the street and back.

I'm hoping that with the original accord map sensor back in and the o2 sensor connected it will run better.

I also need help on identifying these plugs:

This is on the driver side area, it has orange, yellow, and black wires running to it. Not sure where this goes too: UPDATE: this is the VSS sensor

The second one is on the passenger side right next to the MAP sensor connector:

Its colors are Pink, red/green, and black/yel. This plug goes to a solenoid that was inside the black box. So emission items. Which in my case I deleted a long time ago.

- Replace windshield fairing.
                                - Get new tires
                                - Get alignment, as well as recenter steering wheel.
                                - Get a flex pipe and extend the down pipe to mate to the existing exhaust system.
                                Last edited by Grumpys93; 01-30-2018, 12:06 AM.
                                ~Nick~

Comment

Working...
                                X